Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2005, 11:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default KEY WEST

IF you are booked on a cruise that goes to KEY WEST do NOT book your on land excursion on the boat, everything they offer you can get on the land for sooooo far cheaper.......

Carnival says $39 for the Butterfly place..... it is REALLY only $10 to get in if you go there by youself and you can find a $1.00 off coupon on the way walking down there.

IF ANYONE has any questions about KEY WEST just ask me! We go every year and I just got back the week of Thanksgiving!

COUNT DOWN ON FOR Glory 06/05

Fantasy 04/04
Sensation 09/03
Victory 06/02
Victory 12/01
Fantasy 06/00
Fantasy 04/99
Big Red Boat 06/93
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2005, 12:28 PM
amy2cruise

Default Re: KEY WEST

In your opinion, which is better? Sloopy Joe's or margaritaville? we will only be in Key West for 6 hours, what else do you do when you go there?
Old February 23rd, 2005, 09:21 PM
chefkel22

Hi Kim:

We will be visiting Key West from 7am until 2pm on our April sailing on Celebration. Our plan is to have breakfest on the ship, then head out to see the sights on our own. We thought we might do the trolly. It is our understanding that if you take the trolly you can get on and off without penalty. Is this correct?

Any suggestions on what to see? We will be traveling with children (7 adults and 9 kids between 10&17yrs old). Any suggestions for hair braiding, or fun shops, etc.?

What about lunch? Any thoughts? We figured we would have to stop at Jimmy Buffet's for a cocktail.

Thanks for your help.

Kelly
54 days til we set sail - not that we are counting.
Old February 24th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

I could talk about Key West all day and all night, out of all the places in the World I have been and seen it's my fav #1 Spot, I know sounds lame.......

Well, the Trolley and Train are the same tour, but with the Trolley you can get off an on, so I say since you are going to be in Key West just for a short few hours do the TROLLEY! DO NOT book it thru the cruise line. You will see once we are off the ship TROLLEY TOURS HERE signs you can actually pay and pick up the Trolley in a few spots-DO THAT!

It will take you by ALL the points of interest in Key West!!!! YOu can even look on line or book and get your tickets earlier......

**commercial website deleted as advertising**
Old February 24th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: KEY WEST

For the Hair Braiding, I say yes get it done in Key West it might cost a bit more than the other ports but for the cleaniness of it get it done in KW..... also it's not like other islands so noone is going to try to sale you anything at the port right away, yes there are shops but no one will touch you....... For the Braiding I only know of one place that does it way down Duval on the right side in an open air market type of place........

I say for being with the kids that age, do the TROLLEY also, then you can see where you might want to stop.

FOR EVERYONE You have to take your picture at THE SOUTHERN MOST POINT, it's a staple for Key West!

I would pick Sloppy's over Margaitville, it's very touristy and over priced just because of the name, it's also a 'chain' so if you ever come to Orlando you can go to the one here instead of wasting the time going to the KW, there is a gift shop that sits off from the restaurant so that is an easy access.

Unless you are IN LOVE with Hemingway don't waste your money on walking thru the old house.....

For shops they are EVERYWHERE! The same company owns about 90% of the shops in Mallory Square, along with the Train/Trolley/Hemingway/ etc, so all the prices will be the same so don't waste time walking around trying to find something cheaper from store to store.
Old February 24th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Passenger

We spent a week in KW last year and would agree, Sloppy Joe's is better than Margaritaville. We liked the Green Parrott and Capt. Tony's also (not as crowded more locals). Enjoyed our lunch at B.O. Fishwagon, this place looks like something from Sanford & Sons but was great. There is certainly something for everyone. I got a lot of info off the internet before our trip.
Old February 24th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm dying to eat Cuban food. Any suggestion on where I can get Cuban food while visiting Key West? I've never been to Key West, so I really don't know what to expect, but I can't leave Florida without eating a good Cuban sandwich. My stepfather was from Cuba and he could cook a mean Cuban meal.
Old February 26th, 2005, 09:26 PM
chefkel22

CruisegirlKim and Sharon2u:

Thank you both for all theinfo. We have been on line as well as requested info from the Key West Chamber of Commerce.

However, there is nothing better than feedback from people that have actually been there.

Can't wait to get there. Only 50 days until our ship sails.

Thanks again and happy cruising.

Kelly
Old February 26th, 2005, 10:01 PM
4 FUN

CruisegirlKim,

Where is a good hotel to stay at Key West? I would love to take a summer vacation there. Stopped there on my 1st cruise in 97 & thought it would be a neat place to visit longer. Thanks for info.

Don't worry be HAPPY!!!

Ecstasy 04, 97
Imagination 04, 01
Holiday 06, 04
Old March 4th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Rose M.

A word of caution about Sloppy Joe's....some of the lyrics in songs performed by the bands that play there are a little off-color for young children. Lots of nice hotels in Key West but expensive even in off-season....have stayed at a few bed & breakfast places that were charming, clean, and close to all the action....the Weatherstation Inn and Mango Tree Inn. There is a fairly new Doubletree Hotel that is located when you first enter Key West by car...quiet and beautiful....they offer free shuttles to the downtown area.