Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2005, 12:44 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Paralegal
Default How Many People Try to Lose Weight and Get in Shape Prior to

I'm curiuos to find out how many people try to get lose weight and get in shape prior to their cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2005, 12:47 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Jaanu0912
Default Re: How Many People Try to Lose Weight and Get in Shape Prio

me for one lol
i always gain when i get back from crusing

but i really wanna get in shape i only have like 5 months til i can start shopping

Old February 23rd, 2005, 12:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

i exercise some as verus none before i go on a cruise. gotta get back in shape for the standing in line and standing in line oh yea, and running to get to the darn fire drill thing. as for lossing weight, i start that as soon as i get back home (again)
Old February 23rd, 2005, 01:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, I've been THINKING about losing weight all winter. 9 weeks until we sail, and I keep thinking that "next week" will be the week I really buckle down and work on it. I've found that just thinking about something doesn't produce results, you actually have to DO something to make it happen. BUMMER! I really must do something or I will have to go out and buy new clothes for our cruise in May. Next Monday will be the day....................................(really it will) Keeping my fingers crossed and my mouth shut <VBG>
Old February 23rd, 2005, 01:03 PM
Jim Randle

Well, I know that you get in shape to exercise, by exercising. So, since I'll be doing a lot of eating on my 3/13 cruise, I'm getting ready by doing lots of EATING!
Old February 23rd, 2005, 02:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Funny you ask that..... usually we book our cruises within only a couple of months before we are going to go so there really isn't enough time to really bust butt to loose weight...... BUT this cruise for June there is actually enough time.........

I started back on WW last week and lost 4.8 so far..... but I am using the cruise as like an extra push.... this is a life change so it's not just looooooose weight for the cruise.

Glory 06/05
Fantasy 04/04
Sensation 09/03
Victory 06/02
Victory 12/01
Fantasy 06/00
Fantasy 04/99
Old February 23rd, 2005, 02:36 PM
cali-croozer

Lost 40 pounds before our 2003 cruise and, have since, lost another 20. I'm hoping to shed 5 more before June. That last five just doesn't want to go away!!!!! Don't worry though, I'll be eating on the cruise!!! We usually figure about a 3 pound gain...no big deal. This time, we have a Riviera room so we'll be using the stairs for our exercise. We might even look at the gym.........we usually look at it, and that's all. I don't exercise at a gym here at home, so am a little intimidated by all the machines in the ship gym. I told my husband we should check out the gym and ask questions on the first day, before it gets too crowded.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 03:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

cali-croozer, We have always had an inside room on the Riviera Deck and have only ever used an elevator ONCE in 3 cruises. We were going up to one of the shows and when we got to the floor that the main dining room was on we got blocked in and had to use the elevator to go up to the next floor. ( I felt so guilty) Using the stairs is a great way to burn up calories while on the cruise, in fact on our first cruise I lost a few pounds............but that was when I was 8 years younger too. Last winter the stairs proved to be much more of a challenge for me, and I remember having to stop and huff and puff in between flights a few times, but I stuck with it. I also make sure I save my loose or elasctic waist pants for the last few days and enjoy myself. (I'm one of those people who can SMELL food and gain weight). Happy Sailing and Bon Appetite.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 03:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have been going to the gym alot more, it isn't that I am over weight but the abs, I want the abs when I am sitting out by the pool. I feel better about myself plus you just feel like you have more energy to do more things.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 03:56 PM
BoosterMom

Default Re: Re: How Many People Try to Lose Weight and Get in Shape

I just want to congratulate calicroozer for losing all that weight. How'd you do it???? Any advice for a former WW backslider??
Old February 23rd, 2005, 04:22 PM
Passenger

I had actually started on Weight Watchers about a month before we booked our cruise, so I was already on my way there. The cruise was a big motivator to meet a goal - my goal was to lose 25 pounds by the time we left and that's exactly what I did!
Old February 23rd, 2005, 04:50 PM
First Mate

Yep I try to loose a little, but when don't I. Actually I quit drinking in January and lost 10 lbs. Maybe I will even save a little money this time too. :}
Old February 23rd, 2005, 05:53 PM
cali-croozer

BoosterMom..........thanx. No secrets. I did it the old fashioned way....eat less and exercise more. I had finally had it with my weight. I actually gained weight after the kids were born!!! In pictures, I was always hiding behind the family, or doing the sideways pose (like it made a difference!). Anyway, this weight loss has been going on for 2 years now, and I'm pretty much in the maintaining mode. I watch what I eat, but I eat what I want. (I will not give up chocolate!) I weigh myself regularly to make sure I don't start creeping up. I give myself a 3 pound cushion; I'm always up and down within that 3 poounds, depending on water weight, whatever.

hschipper1.....Way to go!!!!
Old February 23rd, 2005, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

My one and only resolution this year was to lose weight and lose it the right way. I did WW in the past and after I paid all that money and ate all that tasteless food, I gained it all back within the year. The diet pans (WW, JC, Adkins, etc.) haven't really worked for most of the people that I know who have done it because if you don't stay on it forever, it doesn't work. This time I am doing it the right way, no more 'jump starts' - went to my doctor, started an excercise program, did research (most of what I read said that no more than 1.5 lbs a week is the best). I still eat what I want, but really pay close attention to the portions. Since I began, I do not feel hungry all the time, I have more energy, and I have lost 9.5 lbs since Jan 10th and feel great. I am less concerned this time with gaining it back, because I know I am doing it the right way. I look forward to my excercising in the mornings - it invigorates me and it is time I use to clear my head for the day. I am not saying that the pay as you go diet plans don't work - they just don't work for me. If I stay on this plan and at the rate I am losing , I will be at my goal weight the week before my cruise.

Jodi

p.s. I am actually a little ahead of my goal due to 4 days of a stomach flu....but I don't suggest that way - it wasn't very fun.

Old February 23rd, 2005, 06:14 PM
myspecialks

Well...I just jumped off the excersize bike..lol..I am cruising in 289 days..so its crunch time..I just like to try to get into shape for the warmer werther & skimpier clothes period..its a constant battle!
Old February 23rd, 2005, 07:31 PM
CincyGuy

I'm training by lifting weights....12 ounces at a time! Hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise!
Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:35 PM
Jim Randle

Default Re: Re: Re: How Many People Try to Lose Weight and Get in Sh

"I'm training by lifting weights....12 ounces at a time! Hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise!"

Gosh, if you'll switch to cans of Fosters, just think how much more exercise you'll get.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:39 PM
Victoria S

Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:40 PM
Victoria S

Old February 23rd, 2005, 09:40 PM
Passenger

Hoping to lose several pounds before my cruise in July...but boy, is it ever hard?
Old February 24th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Admiral

its a great motivator isn't it? I wanted to loose some weight and the cruise was just an extra incentive to do so. I did South Beach - lost 20 lbs and have kept it off for over a year now by just watching carbs and portions. I walk alot for my exercise.
Old February 24th, 2005, 09:43 AM
CincyGuy

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: How Many People Try to Lose Weight and Get i

I tried that for awhile...but thought I was getting a little too "buff"!
I've decided to go more for endurance than bulk!!
Old February 24th, 2005, 09:44 AM
JackieF

How did you lose all that weight?? What's your secret? Please share as I would also like to shed several pounds!

Jackie
Old February 24th, 2005, 10:12 AM
cali-croozer

Jackie.....if you are asking me, see my post, about 10 posts back.
Old February 24th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Passenger

Since we booked a cruise, for May 1, 2005, I have added some more classes and/or cardio to my routine. Right now I take 2 Body Pump classes (weight training), 2 kickboxing classes and an ab/legs class. I also walk on the treadmill, on Saturdays, and also on the nights I do my Body Pump classes. I try to walk for 45 min. I also watch my carbs and try to eat mainly protein and veggies at night. Hopefully I will be down a little by the time May 1 hits. The cruise is definitely a motivator to increase my workouts. Happy cruising.
Old February 24th, 2005, 11:43 AM
KN

Wow Paralegal how do you have time for anything else...I am trying to loose weight to for my cruise inOct..But i have the summer to get ready for before the cruise.Its hard i have three kids and a husband and there never seems enough hours in the day to do it all...:}

Old February 24th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Passenger

I don't have a husband or any children. I do have a boyfriend and I work my gym time around him. Also, he is very understanding. I guess he is happy that he has a girlfriend that likes to work. Once the cruise is over, I will go back to my normal gym time.
Old February 24th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Yeoman

I bought a stationary bike! I think I've lost 10lbs just moving it out of my way! If my DH would quit hanging his jackets on it, it wouldn't weigh so much!

Holiday May 2000
Old February 24th, 2005, 12:17 PM
KN

Happy Cruiser
Old February 27th, 2005, 02:55 PM
mellowgirl

Definately am trying to get in shape for our cruise in 21 days. We are going with another couple so we are dieting and exercising HARD! It will be worth it not to gross anyone out on the ship. Ha.