Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2005, 05:57 PM
patticake

Default sun lotion at chankanaab and nothing but dead coral in snork

was just on website on cozumel and chankanaab is rated very highly for a family of nine like ours for the day in cozumel. we are on the victory in july with four kids and five adults. however they say the coral is all dead int he snorkeling area and there are no fish unless you feed them. we are all first time snorkeling people except for my soninlaw.

also i have heard that you are not allowed to wear sun tan lotion in chankanaab and with our red hair and fair complexion on my daughter and i and one of the kids we will need it. thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2005, 07:30 PM
First Mate

Default Re: sun lotion at chankanaab and nothing but dead coral in s

Unless there have been changes over the past year (I was in Chankanaab last April) we saw tons of fish while snorkeling there.
Old February 24th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Huh? I mentioned in an earlier post about all the gorgeous, brightly-colored fish, so many varieties (literally thousands of fish!) I saw while snorkeling at Chankanaab. I thought the reef was interesting, and I didn't really know (or care) if it was dead....it was still something different to see!

About the lotions - Chankanaab IS an eco-park, but what I understand is that you can use lotion while on the beach areas, but just can't 'slather it on' just prior to entering the water.
Old February 24th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Admiral

If you can't wear lotion in the water, I would strongly suggest wearing a t-shirt as you snorkel. It is very easy to get pretty burned while snorkeling, coz your back is exposed to the sun and the water is cool, so you don't really realize you are getting burned...

Enjoy!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old February 24th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Admiral

you can purchase eco-friendly suntan lotions.
Old February 24th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We were there last April and all of us wore waterproof suntan lotion. We applied it before entering the park and reapplied it during the day. No one said anything.

We also saw lots of fish. My kids brought dry cereal from the ship and that really attracted them.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 24th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

About feeding the fish - it's allowed, of course, BUT can be quite un-nerving if you aren't ready for a frenzy. A guy near me did that, and I almost got out of the water - they came up really, really fast, and it startled me! Just be prepared.
Old February 24th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Carley

I would suggest that you wear a light colored shirt while snorkeling even if you use sun block. I've seen light skinned friends badly roasted on their backs and behind areas with lots of sun screen on. I actually wear a bicycling shirt over my bathing suit. It's made of light weight technical fabric and dries very fast. Lots of new sports clothing made of poly-lycra blends are great for this use.
Old February 24th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Admiral

Read the info carefully re:sunscreens. We did not put any on(or just got some on the youngest 's upper back! as we were in a hurry to get off the ship), but I THINK they meant in the shallow kiddie swimming area(OR the lagoon where you can no longer swim anyways). Just put it on before you leave the ship!!!!! There is lots of palm shade trees.
I did not know you were allowed to feed the fish.
The fish were quite plentiful I thought. My oldest daughter and I also saw a stingray very well camouflaged farther out on the bottom of the sea. It was sand colour with brown dots.
Our other choice was Paradise Beach, but chose Chan. because of the snorkelling and other things to see.

Old February 24th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

The only comment made to us was not to put sunscreen on your face prior to snorkling since it prevents the mask from forming a seal.
Old February 24th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

cant remember which island, but we did go to one where you float,walk in a river, not dunn river, this was part of a park. they dont want you to wear the lotion there, as for the rest it is fine. bring a coat, the water was cold as h..... lolololol
Old February 24th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Rose M.

The fish are plentiful at Chankanaab, saw a couple of lobsters too...they have a wooden float off shore you can swim to, beautiful view from there...when we were approaching the steps to exit the water, the fish were bumping into us.