Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2005, 08:23 AM
cruisinfam

Default Re: Carnival really sucks

I am confused about the billing? Are you saying that particular charge was NOT on your statement they slip under your door on the last night? That is so strange, I am curious to know why so please let us know.
Old February 25th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Never again

Default Re: Re: Carnival really sucks

<< Never again, are you related to Mr UnHappy? Same condescending, look down your nose, I hate everything about Carnival attitude >>

Apparently you have read so many somplaints about Carnival, that you read more into some messages than is there.
If you had spent a bit of time actually reading, you would see that I made a point of stating that we still had a good time, and did not hate everything about Carnival.
Clearly, this board is set up to be a Carnival cheer leading site, and not one used for an actual exchange of ideas and experiences.
Old February 25th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Gibby

<< I thought that the excursion gurantee was that if you booked through the cruiseline they wouldn't leave without you, not that you would return on time.
Am I incorrect? >>

According to Carnival. they leave on time, with or without you.
Old February 25th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Gibby

<< Thx for agreeing with me. Most of the complaints have no merit >>

WAAAY over your head, sport.
Old February 25th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Gibby

<< you missed a tour because u where waiting for breakfast to come to your room...and its carnivals fault??.........you have to be kidding >>

You have to be ADHD.
Old February 25th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Gibby

<< guess my thinking must be faulty. I thought, as cruisers, we were booking space on a passenger ship that offered certain frills to entice us aboard...NOT CHARTERING the boat thereby placing us in charge of it. >>

A petty and snide observation.

<<A cruise ship is a large machine with many variables trying to accomodate many types of people, never again is a perfect example. It is difficult to please everyone. >>

Hmm, apparently you know lots of people that enjoy poor service.

<< I would have a minor problem with the charges being credited to my account if I did not make them, but I would not let having to pay $400 more ruin my trip. >>

The trip was over, by the time I learned off this latest injustice.
It must be nice to be in a position, where you can simply blow off $354.60.

<<If I ran Carnival I would have listed the charges as "aggravation". >>

Perhaps that is what they did. I won't know for another 30 days.
Although you don't run Carnival, clearly you are in their employ.

<< Kris, do you honestly believe that if you go snorkeling and decide to swim for China any cruise ship is going to delay departing port until the local charter company finds you and returns you to the port? Mr never again would have a cow if they waited for you! >>

No, they won't wait.
Old February 25th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Admiral

If you book a tour WITH the ship and the bus is delayed returning because of a problem, the ship WILL wait. But if you book with the ship and CHOOSE to get dropped off in town to shop, you have ended the "ship's tour" and are on your own. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE to find your own way back to the ship and NO they won't wait for you if you are late.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old February 25th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Gibby

<< Sometimes things aren't perfect, but you just need to make sure you're bringing it to the attention of someone who can do something about it...>>

That was my attitude as well. However, since the purser's desk is the place to find "someone who can do something about it," and those associates do not resolve the problems, what is there left to do except advise others of the potential for disapppointment?
As to the mystery billing, I did contact the person (office) that should have been able to do something, but they refused.
As a result, your wide-eyed optimism is unfounded, and does nothing to address the situation..
Old February 25th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Gibby

<< Someone is selling new cruisers a bunch of bull. They expect to be waited on hand and foot and totally pampered on a budget cruise. If you need a lot of one on one attention you should go on an upscale line. >>

Yes they are. New cruisers are led to believe that they will be treated with professionalism and courtesy. Perhaps Carnival should mention in their advertisements that they are only a budget line, and that guests may encounter problems not occuring on upscale lines.

<< We have been on over 10 cruises including a Mediterrean one that was cancelled 2 days out due to engine problems. Sh*t happens, you have to roll with the punches. >>

And, you weren't disappointed, right? You just smiled, and rolled with the punches, right? Never a complaint, right? Were you charged and additional $354.60 for your trouble?

<< Also what is with island tours? I've lived on the island of Guam and Oahu and just don't see what the thrill is of hopping in a van and driving around. >>

DUH! Because you have lived on such islands. You apparently have no interest in the cultural aspects of these islands. I suppose they all look the same, if you spend all of your time just wallowing on a beach.

<< Take me to a beach for a few hours or a shopping district don't keep me hostage in a van. >>

It must be nice to be so easliy amused.

<<If you treat the waitstaff/steward in a friendly manner you will be surprised and the service you get. >>

Our wait staff was tipped very well (in spite of the service), and was treated with respect in every instance. The problem was not with the wait staff. As I said, they did the best that they could, considering how thinly they were spread.

<<$354.60 is strange. I've always been charged exactly what was on the bill they slip under the door the last night. >>

Yes, it is strange. Even more strange that Carnival will not tell me what the charge was for. But, s*** happens, right? I should just roll with the punches.

<< My advice go on a more upscale line or a smaller ship where you can get personalized attention. >>

That is exacly the advice that my post was intended to impart, don't book with Carnival if you expect personalized attention, or even the common courtesy of having a bill explained.

<< Read the excursions carefully to make sure they don't dump you somewhere at the end for "shopping" >>

I did.
Old February 25th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Gibby

<< I am confused about the billing? Are you saying that particular charge was NOT on your statement they slip under your door on the last night? That is so strange, I am curious to know why so please let us know. >>

That is precisely what I am saying, and is really the straw that broke the cruise ship's back. I could have put up with the other indignities. As someone else mentioned, just marked them off as a minor inconveniences. I did just that,until my credit card bill arrived. However, receiving a bill from a company that refuses to explain what it is for is inexcusable in any situation, cruise ship or otherwise. When all of the varied problems are combined, a reasonable customer is rightfully unhappy.
It is obvious that some people in this forum have dedicated their lives to Carnival, and are in denial about problems that sometimes occur on Carnival ships. That is to be pitied, but it does not alter reality.
Old February 25th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Gibby

<< But if you book with the ship and CHOOSE to get dropped off in town to shop, you have ended the "ship's tour" and are on your own. >>

There was no choice to be made. We were dropped off, without the option of being returned to the ship. We were instructed to either walk or hire a cab, and to make sure that we were back on time.
This is black letter.
Old February 25th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Admiral

While I don't want to argue the point, but we only book ship tours and I know with all the ship tours we have taken we have ALWAYS been given a choice to be dropped off for shopping or taken back to the original boarding place. I can assure you if no choice was given, I would not have taken the tour in the first place. If they told me this after the tour, (which I truly doubt) I would NOT have gotten off the bus and I would have insisted I be taken back to the original boarding place! Of course, it couldn't be you who misunderstood the options. It seems you will find something in anyone's post to disagree with.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old February 25th, 2005, 11:24 AM
sls

<< We have been on over 10 cruises including a Mediterrean one that was cancelled 2 days out due to engine problems. Sh*t happens, you have to roll with the punches. >>

And, you weren't disappointed, right? You just smiled, and rolled with the punches, right? Never a complaint, right? Were you charged and additional $354.60 for your trouble?

<< Also what is with island tours? I've lived on the island of Guam and Oahu and just don't see what the thrill is of hopping in a van and driving around. >>

DUH! Because you have lived on such islands. You apparently have no interest in the cultural aspects of these islands. I suppose they all look the same, if you spend all of your time just wallowing on a beach.

<< Take me to a beach for a few hours or a shopping district don't keep me hostage in a van. >>

It must be nice to be so easliy amused.

Okay Gibby, I spent 23 years in the Navy so my level of disappoint is probably a lot different from yours. Yes I was disappointed by the end of the cruise but I had I learned upon boarding that we wouldn't be going to Egypt for the pyramids or the Israel to see the Holy Land so the reason for the cruise no longer existed. Also you aren't going to learn about the culture on an island sitting in a van and riding around. That's something that will only occur over time by going to local festivals and making friends with the people. And yes maybe I am easily amused because a lot of times I don't even get off the ship at ports, I just enjoy the piece and quiet of an almost empty ship. And I would never blow off being charged for something mysteriously. I would contact my credit card and send them my final balance and dispute the charge. That would probably get a quicker response from Carnival.
Old February 25th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Chanin

Kimmi,

My husband and myself were just on the Legend January 6th - 14th. We ported at St. Martin, etc.. This was our first cruise so our expectations were high. It was everything expected and more. We were treated like family by every staff member that we dealt with. Many going above and beyond what I expected. I do know that the C.D. Brett Alans left right after our voyage. We were seated at upper 363 for dinner and our waiters were Nick and Orlando. They were awesome!!! Coming from someone who has been both a bar manager and a restaurant manager, that is very high praise indeed!!! As for the mystery charge..... we deposited cash and travelers checks because of accidents that do happen!!! I hope you have as much fun as we did. Other than the rain, it was great!!!
As a matter of fact our cruise was so great that I was trying to book another the night we flew back to Ohio. ( Hubby said not till next year lol). We did book this week on the Valor for next January..OOOhhhhh I can't wait.!!!! Good Luck and have an AWESOME time..

Chanin
Carnival Valor 01-08-06 HURRY
Carnival Legend 01/05
Old February 25th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have taken many Carnival cruises in the past and have always been satisfied. However, my last cruise on the Carnival Pride was a major disappointment. I had many of the same problems that the OP is complaining about: poor service, rude and indifferent staff, poor management and organization, etc.

As for the overcharge, have you tried disputing it with your credit card company? The credit card company is required to credit your account back the disputed amount within 10 days of receiving notification of your dispute. They will then investigate with Carnival and will not put the charge back on your account unless Carnival is able to prove it is valid.
Old February 25th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hey "sport".....I'm female, not that it matters in the grand scheme of things.

This whole thread is ridiculous. There's no way to talk to people who have the mind-set of a stubbord mule. You know the old saying - You can't beat a dead horse. The horse in question is a jerk. I've had enough of his nonsense. No reason to come back and read the same old stuff. Some people DO delight in carrying things too far. Ciao!
Old February 25th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Never again

<<If they told me this after the tour, (which I truly doubt) I would NOT have gotten off the bus and I would have insisted I be taken back to the original boarding place! >>

You may doubt all that you want, but that does not change the fact that that is exactly what happened. Living in denial accomplishes little.
Since I was not concerned about getting back on time, I decided not to make an issue of this with the tour guide. I did ask him if we would be brought back to the ship, after shopping. He replied that we would not, which is when he advised us to take a cab.

<<Of course, it couldn't be you who misunderstood the options. >>

No it could not be. Since the other five people in our party heard the same thing, it is beyond reasonable doubt that it was simply my own misunderstanding.

<< It seems you will find something in anyone's post to disagree with. >>

Not so, read these posts. However, I do ardently disagree with those people that refuse to accept the fact that Carnival is not the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have no doubt that many of these posters are paid by Carnival to monitor this forum, and deflect any and all criticism that is posted. If not, there are some people here that are sadly lacking in the observance of reality.
Old February 25th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Gibby

<< Okay Gibby, I spent 23 years in the Navy so my level of disappoint is probably a lot different from yours. Yes I was disappointed by the end of the cruise but I had I learned upon boarding that we wouldn't be going to Egypt for the pyramids or the Israel to see the Holy Land so the reason for the cruise no longer existed. >>

So, why bring up an irrelevant point?

<< Also you aren't going to learn about the culture on an island sitting in a van and riding around. That's something that will only occur over time by going to local festivals and making friends with the people. >>

I agree wholeheartedly, which is why the few hours spent in port must not be wasted. However, I prefer to learn what I can in a place that I may not return to, rather than lolling on a beach, which I can easily do at home.

<<And yes maybe I am easily amused because a lot of times I don't even get off the ship at ports, I just enjoy the piece and quiet of an almost empty ship. >>

Well, that is your choice, and I am not arguing the merits of that choice. It is simply not my choice.
More importantly, the issue here isn't about what to do in port.

<< And I would never blow off being charged for something mysteriously. I would contact my credit card and send them my final balance and dispute the charge. That would probably get a quicker response from Carnival.>>

That is exactly what I did. However, that does not relieve Carnival of the responsibility to disclose the nature of billings to its guests.
Some of these posters are like republican apologists. Never confront the problems, just evade the issues and deflect with insults. Not you necessarily, but just read some of the trash that has been posted here.
Old February 25th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Cruisingrandma

Have never had a bad cruise. Sorry if anyone else does. U see we may have had some minor problems with a few things. But never enough to say i will never!!!! Hey we got our cabin keys to find out they were not our names on them. So we had to wait 15 minutes while they made new ones and we were on our way. The rest of our group went on ship and we all met up later. We laughed it off and said,, sh** happens... Long lines and getting off the ship takes some time some times. But I am on a vacation and there to relax. Take your time. Again so sorry u had a bad experience. But there r still us die hards we dont give up on a fun vacation like a Carnival Cruise. Happy Cruising.....
Old February 25th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Gibby

<<Hey "sport".....I'm female, not that it matters in the grand scheme of things.>>

Which only proves that ignorance is an equal opportunity trait.

<<This whole thread is ridiculous. There's no way to talk to people who have the mind-set of a stubbord mule. >>

You have certainly proven that to be true.

<<You know the old saying - You can't beat a dead horse. >>

Hmmm, that "old saying" must be relatively new. You can beat a dead horse, but you can't teach an old dog new tricks. The only dead horse that you are beating is your refusal to admit that Carnival has areas that need improvement. Alpo?

<<The horse in question is a jerk.>>

Your friends and family have my condolences, at your untimely demise..

<<I've had enough of his nonsense. No reason to come back and read the same old stuff. >>

Promise?

<<Some people DO delight in carrying things too far. Ciao!>>

That must be why you are wearing that self-satisfied smirk.
Old February 25th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Let me step in right now. Gibby or Never Again you have every right to express yourself on these boards and that is displayed as me leaving your posts here. Most of your complaints are not worth commenting on as I feel they are silly and you could control and change the outcome yourself with more planning. The $300 plus being added oin your bill is improper and needs to be lo0oked into. They cannot just give you credit for it right away as people have in the past and still do make lots of purchases on the last day and claim they didn't and if it is removed they are never to be seen again. They are protecting themselves and will get it right as soon as possible. I WILL say this, nobody has attacked you and you have been pushing the envelope on personal attacks yourself and THAT is noty going to be allowed. You cannot call people names, nobody is allowed to do that. You had a bad time and that is regrettable, they did not and that is their experiance. Both are probably valid. Now, lets make it a civil debate if it goes any further or I will stop it.
Jim

Old February 25th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Familiar Face

>>Carnival really sucks<<

>>I made a point of stating that we still had a good time, and did not hate everything about Carnival.<<

You did not hate everything about Carnival????

That is a funny way of staing it, do you not think?

It's pretty clear that when you post "Carnival really sucks" on a Carnival message board you are trolling for trouble.

Maybe I missed it but exactly where in this thread did you make "a point of stating that we still had a good time"????
Old February 25th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Frankly the majority of readers likely won't lend much weight to comments with a title..
Carnival (or any other cruise line) sucks... or Don't Sail XYC cruise line.

Rather than well formed complaints about the cruise experience, the title alone suggests to people that the post is simply a RANT... and treat it as such.. sometimes RANTING right back.

I've sailed Carnival a number of times, most of the experiences were very good. Ran into some "problems" on the Victory, and I wrote about them... both here and to Carnival.
The experience was no reason to condem the line, and I didn't. I addressed our specific problems on a specific ship.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 25th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to JoannFla

Know what really stinks?? People like myself who are waiting anxiously to go on their first cruise ever, reallly get disheartened by reading all this arguuing, bickering, and nonsense going on here. BOTH sides have a right to vent and make their point, but 55 or so comments later..this is getting crazy. I am so nervous about cruising now. ONLY comment I want to make is this: I read something to the fact ( do not quote me) where people keep saying if you want better sevice go on a more "upscale" cruise. Ive just paid 1,800 dollars for my fiance and I to go away for & days to exotic islands and ports, enjoy fancy food, no worries, good shows, pleasant Carnival employees being happy to help us out. I know 1,800 is chump change to some people, but Let me tell you how we have had to skrimp and save to pay for this cruise, and both of us work! Why do people say Go on a more upscale cruise line if you want great service?? I refuse to believe that Carnical does not value each customer, no matter how little or much you paid for the cruise. I do not care if I shop in Good Will or Macy's if I am patronizing a particular store, restaurant, etc, I would hope to be treated like a valued customer, and not to be told to Go elsewhere if I want better service. NOT SAYING THAT CARNIVAL WOULD SAY THAT...I dont know I am babbling but it is upsetting. I am really taking friends advice and advice from this message board and booking on Carnival, I hope its everything Ive dreamed of and more. I am not picky, I do not expect rose petals at my feet, people waiting on me sun up to sun down, I know it'll be busy, some times food might take a while, I just hope over all its a great expierence. CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG ON HERE??? PLEASEEEEEE Oh yeah I will say that I am going to be extra careful to check my bill the day I leave and make sure extra charges dont Pop up out of no where, 355.00 is a lot to me!! I am sure the person will get it back if Carnival is wrong..they are too big a company, to not want to make it right. I HAVE FAITH!!

Old February 25th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to JoannFla

P.S. PLEASE EXCUSE MY TYPING IN THE LAST POST..there were some mispelled words! Forgive me

Old February 25th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Hmmmm

Oh boy
Old February 25th, 2005, 05:24 PM
never again

<< Let me step in right now. Gibby or Never Again you have every right to express yourself on these boards and that is displayed as me leaving your posts here. Most of your complaints are not worth commenting on as I feel they are silly and you could control and change the outcome yourself with more planning. >>

Really? Explain to me how better planning would have allowed me to book a shore excursion that was denied to me because of faulty maintenance and bad advice form a Carnival employee. Why is it silly to expect to have bathrobes, when most other people have them, but my wife and I did not. Perhaps not having our room cleaned, and not having the mini-bar stocked is silly to you, but when I spend several thousand dollars on a vacation, the humor is lost on me.

<< The $300 plus being added oin your bill is improper and needs to be lo0oked into. They cannot just give you credit for it right away as people have in the past and still do make lots of purchases on the last day and claim they didn't and if it is removed they are never to be seen again. They are protecting themselves and will get it right as soon as possible. >>

I grant you that, but why in the world can't they at least tell me what the bill is for? Why can't I speak to someone in billing, and get this matter squared away? Why am I forced to wait 30 days to learn information that is only a computer click away?

<< I WILL say this, nobody has attacked you and you have been pushing the envelope on personal attacks yourself and THAT is noty going to be allowed. >>

I see. Being told that I am condescending, a whiner, a jerk, being advised to go somewhere else for vacation is apparently not an attack in your eyes. However, God forbid that I respond in kind. If defending myself is not allowed, then so be it.

<< You cannot call people names, nobody is allowed to do that. >>

Then, I assume that you have addressed that situation with the author of the post below.

[[ Author: Cotton (206.192.9.---)
Date: 02-25-05 12:21

Hey "sport".....I'm female, not that it matters in the grand scheme of things.

This whole thread is ridiculous. There's no way to talk to people who have the mind-set of a stubbord mule. You know the old saying - You can't beat a dead horse. The horse in question is a jerk. I've had enough of his nonsense. No reason to come back and read the same old stuff. Some people DO delight in carrying things too far. Ciao! ]]

In addition, I have reread my posts, and failed to find any name calling on my part. I did address the above author in a way befitting her attitude, but.......

<<You had a bad time and that is regrettable, they did not and that is their experiance. Both are probably valid. Now, lets make it a civil debate if it goes any further or I will stop it. >>

I am happy to oblige, as long as the playing field is level.
Old February 25th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Admiral

Well, YOU need to take the responsibility of going to the shore excursion deck if you cannot book it otherwise. As for the bathrobes, are you sure you cat cabin was supposed to have them? The lower cat cabins do not on some ships. The robes are not necessary anyway and I don't believe we have ever worn the ones in our cabin as we do not go out and about wearing them nor do we feel it necessary to cover up to walk 10' to the bathroom or whatever and I believe my wife has seen me without clothing a time or two. The fridge is stocked with select items that are proscribed by the cruiseline as standard. They will remove them and you can stock it yourself or you can take what is offered on inventory. They for bookkeeping reasons stock only what each passenger wants in every cabin. It is there as a convience for you so bring your own ckoe next time and stock it yourself. Cheaper anyway. Not sure why you cabin was not cleaned one day. Are you saying that at no time during that day was it ever cleaned or serviced? Hard to understand as I have not heard this complaint before byt it is possible that something happened to the steward. You need to talk to housekeeping about that. IN addition you will find staff and crew much more willing and eager to assist someone who asked a question of can you tell me why instead of you screwed up and I demand to know why and what you are going to do about it. We have never had a problem that was not taken care of quickly and I can assure you it isn't because I am wealthy or pretty. <G> Again, sorry you had a bad time but hopefully it is a fluke and everyone treats everyone a little better in the future.
Jim

Old February 25th, 2005, 05:51 PM
never again

<< It's pretty clear that when you post "Carnival really sucks" on a Carnival message board you are trolling for trouble. >>

Well, I admit that I didn't know that it was a board only for defenders of the faith. In fact, I consulted this board several times before taking the cruise in question. I certainly wished that I had been advised of the potential problems that I have taken the time to proffer to other people considering (or havinf booked) a cruise with Carnival.
Trolling for trouble? Hardly. As I said, I did not know that any negative comments about Carnival would be insultingly retaliated against, by those who feel compelled to rationalize poor service and management. As much as Mr. Bragg may not want to admit it, I have been attacked here, and without justification. Just peruse these posts. Most are snide and sarcastic, and few actually offer anything substantive at all. All that I am hearing is that I should lower my expectations, that I should let incompetence go unacknowledged, and that I should generally not say anything bad about Carnival. Well, I am sorry, but a "take it and like it" attitude is not what has served me well for 55 years.

<< Maybe I missed it but exactly where in this thread did you make "a point of stating that we still had a good time"???? >>

Reread my intial post, on the bottom line. Reread my post of 2-24, 16:00.
I will state again, as I did before, we had a good time, but we should have had a great time.
Old February 25th, 2005, 06:02 PM
never again

<< The experience was no reason to condem the line, and I didn't. I addressed our specific problems on a specific ship. >>

What you don't seem to comprehend is that the main problem, that of a billing error that Carnival is unable to properly address, is endemic to the company, not just a specific ship. In addition, my original post was in response to a person asking for input about the Legend, which is the ship that we sailed on.
Before I received the unaccounted for bill, I was fully prepared to let all of the other things slide, but this problem is company wide.