Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Carnival really sucks

You are really defending yourself. I repeat, it is okay to complain, talk about things that were not right, and things that did not meet your expectations on these boards. You have spelled them out in a manner that is clear. You have also been advised that in many instances the problems could have and may have been avoided had you done certain things. That is helpful information, not criticizem. In addition, the fact that you were improperly charged means that YOU were improperly charged and they are checking it out. That in no way indicated that the problem is companywide and to state it is would be unfounded and improper.
Jim

Old February 25th, 2005, 06:55 PM
never again

Default Re: Re: Carnival really sucks

<< Well, YOU need to take the responsibility of going to the shore excursion deck if you cannot book it otherwise. >>

That was my plan, but upon calling the purser's desk, I was instructed to wait a few hours, and the problem with the in-room ordering would be solved. Two hours later, it was not solved, which is when I DID go to the purser's desk. That is when I learned that the tour had sold out, while I was waiting.

<< As for the bathrobes, are you sure you cat cabin was supposed to have them? The lower cat cabins do not on some ships. The robes are not necessary anyway and I don't believe we have ever worn the ones in our cabin as we do not go out and about wearing them nor do we feel it necessary to cover up to walk 10' to the bathroom or whatever and I believe my wife has seen me without clothing a time or two. >>

We were on deck 8. We did recieve robes, on the third day
Robes may not seem necessary to you, but as mentioned in an earlier post, we wanted to enjoy the spa in the evening, which is too cool to walk about only in swimwear.
Your sarcastic remark about what your wife has seen was uncalled for and unproductive.

<< The fridge is stocked with select items that are proscribed by the cruiseline as standard. They will remove them and you can stock it yourself or you can take what is offered on inventory. >>

That is simply untrue. I asked if I could have the min-bar stocked with my beverage of choice, and was refused. Nobody ever suggested that I could have the contents removed, and that I could then stock it myself.

<<They for bookkeeping reasons stock only what each passenger wants in every cabin. >>

Your statement is nonsensical. Our cabin was not stocked with what we wanted.

<< It is there as a convience for you so bring your own ckoe next time and stock it yourself. Cheaper anyway. >>

On other lines, you can do that, but not Carnival. They prohibit bringing on board any beverages. In fact, guests cannot even pay a surcharge, and have a bottle of alcohol in the cabins, unlike other lines.

<< Not sure why you cabin was not cleaned one day. Are you saying that at no time during that day was it ever cleaned or serviced? Hard to understand as I have not heard this complaint before byt it is possible that something happened to the steward. >>
I am saying that the bed was turned down in the evening, but that tthe room was not serviced in the afternoon (towels, washcloths, trash cans, etc.).

<< You need to talk to housekeeping about that. >>

I tried, but they did not repond to my call.

<< IN addition you will find staff and crew much more willing and eager to assist someone who asked a question of can you tell me why instead of you screwed up and I demand to know why and what you are going to do about it. >>

You assume far too much, and that assumption is based upon no real knowledge of me or my situation. Had somebody answered, or returned my call, they would have been met cordially and with respect. I learned many years ago that employee attitude is a reflection of management, and treat "the ground troops" with consideration, unless they prove that it is undeserved.

<< We have never had a problem that was not taken care of quickly and I can assure you it isn't because I am wealthy or pretty. <G> Again, sorry you had a bad time but hopefully it is a fluke and everyone treats everyone a little better in the future.>>

I share your hopes.
Old February 25th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Admiral

"On other lines, you can do that, but not Carnival. They prohibit bringing on board any beverages. In fact, guests cannot even pay a surcharge, and have a bottle of alcohol in the cabins, unlike other lines."

This is TOTALLY UNTRUE!! If you had done your research you would know you can bring a reasonable amount of soda and water and 2 bottles of wine. We have always done this and have never had any problems. When the boys cruised with us, we brought 3 cases of soda and 1 case of water, out in the open on a luggage carrier....NO PROBLEMS!!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old February 25th, 2005, 07:31 PM
never again

<< You are really defending yourself. >>

When my motives and integrity are attacked, I do indeed defend myself.

<< I repeat, it is okay to complain, talk about things that were not right, and things that did not meet your expectations on these boards. >>

Apparently you are in the minority of board posters that are willing to concede me that right.

<< You have spelled them out in a manner that is clear. You have also been advised that in many instances the problems could have and may have been avoided had you done certain things. >>

I have yet to read any "certain things" that I could have done that would have helped avoid any of the problems that I have enumerated. Your last post offered nothing toward that end. If you are able to find anything from any others, please do inform me.
The advice that I have recieved consists of the following: Ignore the instructions from the representative at the purser's desk, ignore ship policy and illegally bring my own beverages on board, ignore my desire to use the spa, ignore the mediocre service in the dining room, ignore the time and money wasted on the St. Maarten Island Tour, ignore the time wasted and discomfort of being herded into a narrow corridor for 45 minutes before debarking in Barbados. And of course, ignore the fact that a billion dollar multi-national company requires 30 days to tell a customer why he or she was improperly billed.
By your standards and judging from the "advice" offered on this board, all of my problems could have been avoided simply by ignoring them as they happened.

<< That is helpful information, not criticizem. >>

Please specify any information posted here that could possibly be construed as being helpful.
As to there not being any criticism, below I have copied from previous posts a few of the many comments that you seem to think are helpful information, rather than criticism:

[[Author: Jocko the Cruiser
Date: 02-24-05 13:33
Here we go again, puh-leeze.]]

[[Author: disgruntled customer (---.dls.net)
Date: 02-24-05 14:26
Hello? Is this the Ax-Grinding Office???]]

[[Author: Cotton (206.192.8.---)
Date: 02-24-05 16:37
All I can say, in addition, is that you really need to chill. Oh, I understand - you want to get some big compensation from Carnival for all your little aggrevations. Well, good luck. NOTHING about your comments except the unknown $345 (I am not sure what you're talking about, anyway) is worth complaining about. ]]

[[Author: marvholly (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 02-24-05 17:19
I suspect/suggest you probably need to sail a premium line such as crystal, Raddison or seaborn. Leave us poor working folks the ability to cruise 1x/ year on a mains tream line.]]

[[Author: Cruznut2
Date: 02-25-05 04:40
Never again, are you related to Mr UnHappy? Same condescending, look down your nose, I hate everything about Carnival attitude.]]

There are many more, but I believe that I have made my point.

<<In addition, the fact that you were improperly charged means that YOU were improperly charged and they are checking it out. That in no way indicated that the problem is companywide and to state it is would be unfounded and improper.>>

You don't seem to get it. I didn't call the ship, I called the company, THE COMPANY. The company policy is that customers are not allowed to speak with anyone in the billing department, and that I would hear something from them within 30 days. That is a company-wide policy, not just for passengers on the Legend, and therefore is a company-wide problem. To state so is entirely proper and imminently well founded.
I have to ask, are you compensated by Carnival in any way?
Old February 25th, 2005, 07:37 PM
never again

<< This is TOTALLY UNTRUE!! If you had done your research you would know you can bring a reasonable amount of soda and water and 2 bottles of wine. We have always done this and have never had any problems. When the boys cruised with us, we brought 3 cases of soda and 1 case of water, out in the open on a luggage carrier....NO PROBLEMS!!>>

I did do my research, and what you did was in violation of stated Carnival policy. For your edification. I have copied that policy below.
3 cases of soda? Right.

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board.

One bottle of fine wine or champagne, per stateroom, may be brought on board during embarkation only. If the wine and/or champagne is brought to the Dining room for consumption, a $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged to the guest; otherwise, the guest may only drink the wine and/or champagne in the privacy of a stateroom. The wine and/or champagne may NOT be brought into any other public lounge or area.

Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. Excessive quantities, to be determined at the discretion of security and/or the embarkation personnel, will be confiscated and retained by Carnival until the cruise is completed.
Old February 25th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Go to the gripes board they will like to talk to you a lot better, however thanks for your complaint we will take it into consideration and make sure that it doesn't however change the way I will look at my vacation.

Sorry you didn't get your room stocked with coke. I am just confused on why you would pay money to be on a cruise that you would end up spending the time in your room.
Old February 25th, 2005, 08:33 PM
never again

<<Go to the gripes board they will like to talk to you a lot better, >>

Ah, more helpful advice.
Just where is this "gripes" board? Obviously, this is not the venue in which to air complaints.

<<however thanks for your complaint we will take it into consideration and make sure that it doesn't however change the way I will look at my vacation. >>

As they say, you can't make 'em drink.
It was never my intention to change the way anyone looks at their vacation. Rather, to forewarn unsuspecting guests that, contrary to what is posted on this board, they may very well encounter problems with Carnival. No doubt, with other lines as well, but I am unable to speak to that question.
If you had a great cruise with Carnival, congratulations. If you are planning a cruise with Carnival, I wish you well. Chances are that you will be thrilled with the experience.
However, nothing that you have said has any relevance to the issue at hand.

<<Sorry you didn't get your room stocked with coke. I am just confused on why you would pay money to be on a cruise that you would end up spending the time in your room. >>

I have no doubt that you are confused, but what I do on my vacation is really none of your business at all, and is not the topic of discussion.
Old February 25th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to JoannFla

I JUST WANT TO SAY I CAN STILL FEEL THE LOVE...anyone else??? PLease? Where is my happy Carnival board. Time for my zoloft...and some tequila...I'll check back in a few.

Old February 25th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Don Smith

JoannFl, you are cracking me up. We, too, are going on our first cruise in October of this year. We can hardly wait to begin our cruising adventures, and I know we are going to have a blast. I am old, 56, but the alternative to being old is far worse. Spent the week after Christmas in Key West, saw the ships docked there and decided to try a cruise. OH, hope you have FUN.
Old February 25th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Here here ....its all up to your attitude........Safe cruises everyone !!

PS what the last poster said "stick to your gun cause I dont want to sit with you at dinner.

Elation January 03
Paradise May 03
Victory October 03
Legend Feb 04
Triumph May04
Conquest Oct 04
Spirit March 05
Valor Oct 05
Old February 25th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Admiral

Children - play nice :o) It could just be me but I don't really care if anyone makes up my room. I clean up after myself and even make the bed - don't want the staff to think I'm a pig lol. I love Carnival - waits happen anywhere and everywhere. You can bring a bottle or two - corkage fees are not "in the room" just the dining room. Sailing on the Pride in a few days - can't wait! The only thing that would make me say "never again" is if the darn ship sank! Then I would have to go one another one! TTFN Jennifer
Old February 25th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Admiral

"I did do my research, and what you did was in violation of stated Carnival policy. For your edification. I have copied that policy below."

Then why didn't you bring your own "reasonable amount" of coke on yourself?

We did NOT violate any policy and we don't have to be edified!!!

We brought on the 3 cases of soda for the 5 of us. broken down - 2 a piece each day, 7 days, equals 70 sodas. We brought 72 sodas. They were bungie corded to a luggage dolly as one of our carryons. We pulled it up and down the aisle as we checked in. When we reached the counter, the CARNIVAL STAFF remarked "how smart" we were and said "you must be experienced cruisers"!! "Boy are you going to save money!!" It was all out in the open, not hidden and with their blessings. We have also brought our wine to dinner, opened and served to us by our waiter and we have NEVER been charged a corkage fee. Of course we said Please and Thank You and were very courteous.

I wonder...if you discover that the extra charge to be "your error", if you'll come back to this board and admit to it.

7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

Old February 25th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Admiral

Jennifer!! I was trying to think of what would make me say never again and I could NOT think of anything. Have a great vacation.

7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

Old February 25th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Just to jump back to some of the original complaints in the post...

The "mysterious" $354.60 charge on the credit card (that wasn't on the final statement at the end of the cruise).... should immediately be contested with the credit card company. Not certain why Carnival wouldn't co-operate in at least explaining what the charge was for.. BUT.. they'll have no choice but to prove the legitimacy of the charge to your credit card company.

I have, in the past, have cabin stewards forgot to put sodas in the mini bar as requested. You can order sodas from room service. The charge is the same either way. I've just ordered a half dozen of my choice, and stuck them in the bar. If you want to save money, you can bring soda on board, either at embarkation, or from the ports you visit.

The shore tours are an odd issue. Unless it's something very unusual, I rarely book ship's shore excursions. Almost always find it easier, and less expensive, to find a guide/driver on the pier (especially if it's only an island tour you're after).

If the ship's tour that you booked wasn't as described in the shore excursion info, I'd have filed a complaint onboard at the shore excursion desk. If you don't get satisfaction, have your TA follow up with you complaint with their connections at the cruise line.

You were unhappy that one of the excursions was sold out before you could book it, but seems you were unhappy with the ones you did book, so it seems to me, like me, you'd be better off finding a guide/driver on the pier, and managing your own day.

The manner in which debarkations are handled are the same on most ships. Guests are given colored luggage tags (based on certain debarkation criteria... like early flights) and asked to wait until their color is called before leaving the ship. Instead of waiting in an overcrowded lounge, you can wait in any public areas. Suggest next time just finding a comfortable spot and wait until you are called.

Service issues arise. No denying that. Both cabin stewards, and dining room servers are sort of luck of the draw. Most are very good at pleasing their passengers, but no question there are those who are not as good, and some that are awful.
Eventually, with the results showing on passenger comment cards, the weak ones do get "moved on".

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 25th, 2005, 11:33 PM
never again

<< Then why didn't you bring your own "reasonable amount" of coke on yourself? >>

Two reasons. First, I called guest services before leaving, and asked if I could bring a case (24 cans) of Coke on board, and was flatly told no. She read the same policy that I posted for your edification, and told me that a case of Coke was not a "reasonable amount." She added that Carnival has some kind of "Fountain Card" that can be used for such soft drink consumption. However, that i s not in your cabin.
Second, it was not the cost, but rather the availability in our room that I was concerned with. To be honest, I would be far too embarassed to drag four cases (3 soda, 1 water) of beverage and bottles of wine on board a ship that depends greatly on beverage sales for revenue.

<< We did NOT violate any policy and we don't have to be edified!!! >>

I am sorry, but you did.
You got away with it. Lucky you.

<< We brought on the 3 cases of soda for the 5 of us. broken down - 2 a piece each day, 7 days, equals 70 sodas. We brought 72 sodas. They were bungie corded to a luggage dolly as one of our carryons. We pulled it up and down the aisle as we checked in. When we reached the counter, the CARNIVAL STAFF remarked "how smart" we were and said "you must be experienced cruisers"!! "Boy are you going to save money!!" It was all out in the open, not hidden and with their blessings. We have also brought our wine to dinner, opened and served to us by our waiter and we have NEVER been charged a corkage fee. Of course we said Please and Thank You and were very courteous. >>

Any comment on this paragraph would, I'm sure, be interpreted as being an attack.

<<I wonder...if you discover that the extra charge to be "your error", if you'll come back to this board and admit to it. >>

I will be pleased to. I am not afraid of being wrong, and do not hesitate to admit it, when it does happen. However, you and many other folks are missing the point. Whether the error is mine or theirs isn't nearly as important as the fact, that they are unwilling to provide me with the pertinent information in a timely manner. I cannot think of any other situation, where a person receives a bill, and the biller is unable to immediately tell you what that bill is for.
I do wish you and all of the others on this board happy sailing with Carnival, in the future. That is especially true for those venturing onto the seas for the first time. I regret that my posting has been taken as a personal assault on some people's sacred cow. As I said earlier, I had no idea that this board was for group hugs only. I don't say that in an overly mean spirited way, and I hope that you are all quite happy together.
Old February 25th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Admiral

"To be honest, I would be far too embarassed to drag four cases (3 soda, 1 water) of beverage and bottles of wine on board a ship that depends greatly on beverage sales for revenue."

Embarassed????? NEVER!! SMART?? Yes!! Yeah, like they're going to go broke over a few sodas, I don't think so. I think I spend enough money for their pictures, alcohol drinks, specialty restaurants, souvenirs, bingo, gifts shops, tours, etc. Never embarassed. In fact, other cruisers were commenting that they wished they thought to do it too! Now we just put a 12 pack of pepsi and 12 pack of water in our carryon and ENJOY!!! Life is too short. ENJOY!!!!

7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

Old February 26th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

The gripes board is under practical advise, then click on gripes.

You say you want to make people aware of the problems that arise and I think that is great, however and you aren't the first person to do this but you get on and start to complain about things and though we aren't sitting beside you people I believe feel as though it is a negitive and poor tone.

I am sick of hearing people have these tones when they could simply use a tone with a much softer side to it.
Ex: I ran into a little problem on the last day. I found out that a mysterious $354.60 charge had been applied. I was a pretty upset and I am in the process of clearing it up. It has been a pain but I wanted to let people know that they may experience these problems. If anybody has any further questions that I could answer for them please feel free to write and hopefully I can help you avoid the process I have gone through.

Well have a good day, hope everything works out for you.
Old February 26th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Familiar Face

>>Reread my intial post, on the bottom line. Reread my post of 2-24, 16:00.
I will state again, as I did before, we had a good time, but we should have had a great time.<<

>>In short, although we were able to enjoy this cruise, we will never again sail with Carnival.<<

You're right, I stand corrected. Sorry. You did have that "short' comment at the end of the first post but I overlooked it by the overwhelmingly negative statements in all of the others.

As Jim pointed out "you are really defending yourself" and this cut & paste thing is neat but it is being just a bit overused in this case.

So , as you stated. you think Carnival really sucks because you only had a good time and not a great one.That's fine, probably not the best way to state it but it was your decision to word it that way.
However as you can clearly see many of us have cruised Carnival and not had he same bad expirience as you say you did.
Perhaps had you littered your complaints with some of the positive things that happened people here would have been a little more understanding of your seemingly biased negative comments on Canival cruise lines, their staff and management.

As Kuki stated.....
"the title alone suggests to people that the post is simply a RANT... and treat it as such.. sometimes RANTING right back."

Because 'Carnival sucks' to you does that make all of us wrong because we don't feel that way also?

We are just back from another cruise last week.

Carnival gave us the opportunity to have a good time and with very little effort we made it a great cruise!

Actually, Carnival needs little defense. They didn't get to be the largest cruiseline in the world by making you unhappy.

They did it by making millions of people happy.

(and just a few of them happen to post on this board)
Old February 26th, 2005, 10:07 AM
mkitchy

Did you have an inside cabin? Carnival policy is cabin categories ocean view and higher receive the complimentary use of robes.Inside do not.
Old February 26th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Well, I for one am tired of trying to help someone who does not pay attention and will not concede what is true when explained to them. I will further answer one question, that am I compensated by Carnival Cruise Lines in any manner. The resounding answer is NO. While I am in charge of the message boards at this website I and my staff have always allowed anyone to report anything they see as a problem so long as they can back it up. It would seem that you simply want to complain and not listen to some good advice others have provided. Guess I am through talking to you and suggest other pack in in as well.
Jim

Old February 26th, 2005, 02:01 PM
never again

<<You're right, I stand corrected. Sorry. You did have that "short' comment at the end of the first post but I overlooked it by the overwhelmingly negative statements in all of the others. >>

Apparently you also overlooked the statement that the ship was beautiful and that the food was outstanding. In addition, your inattentiveness caused you not to notice that I recommended the jazz bar and late night pizza.
However, my purpose was not to weigh the good and bad points of cruising with Carnival, on the Legend. My object was to air the deficiencies that we encountered.
All of the collateral negative statements were rebuttals to inexcusable personal attacks, insults and a general denial of any culpability on the part of Carnival.

<<As Jim pointed out "you are really defending yourself" and this cut & paste thing is neat but it is being just a bit overused in this case. >>

As I pointed out to Jim, defending myself is my own personal obligation.
As to the use of copying and pasting, which I see that you availed your own self of, that is the only way that specific posts can be addressed, with any continuity.

<< So , as you stated. you think Carnival really sucks because you only had a good time and not a great one.That's fine, probably not the best way to state it but it was your decision to word it that way. >>

It was, and I stand by it.

<< However as you can clearly see many of us have cruised Carnival and not had he same bad expirience as you say you did. >>

There wasn't enough room to include "in my opinion" in the title box. However, the fact that many people have had a fine vacation with Carnival does not impact my experience, nor does it preclude similar negative things happening to others.

<<Perhaps had you littered your complaints with some of the positive things that happened people here would have been a little more understanding of your seemingly biased negative comments on Canival cruise lines, their staff and management. >>

I see, throw a bone to the masses, so that they won't feel obligated to retaliate with insults and negativity. I forgot my child psychology lessons.

<< As Kuki stated.....
"the title alone suggests to people that the post is simply a RANT... and treat it as such.. sometimes RANTING right back.">>

While my post was indeed a rant, it was not at all simple. My complaints were all true and well founded. If some people are unable to deal with the truth, there is very little that I can do to change that situation.

<<Because 'Carnival sucks' to you does that make all of us wrong because we don't feel that way also? >>

Not at all, and I fail to understand why some people took it that way. I never suggested or implied that anyone would be a fool to book with Carnival. However, the reflexive defense of Carnival, by way of insulting me, tells me that to many people, it's a lie only if you don't believe it. In the same way that a guilty conscience causes some people to lash out, when the truth is exposed, some of these people "protesteth too much,"

<< We are just back from another cruise last week.
Carnival gave us the opportunity to have a good time and with very little effort we made it a great cruise!>>

It is not my purpose to diminish your enjoyment or even your assessment of your cruise with Carnival. Obviously, you did not encounter the same problems that we did.

<< Actually, Carnival needs little defense. They didn't get to be the largest cruiseline in the world by making you unhappy. >>

Which makes you wonder why so many people feel compelled to defend Carnival so stridently.

<<They did it by making millions of people happy. >>

I have no argument on that point, and agree with you completely. However, that again does not address my displeasure, and the fact that many people were quite satisfied does not alter the facts that I have presented. If only one person out of a million is killed by a drunk driver, should the family of that person not complain about drinking and driving, simply because so many others are not similarly affected?

<< (and just a few of them happen to post on this board) >>

Hmmm, I would say more than a few, and more power to them. I simply cannot comprehend why reporting my negative experience with Carnival is somehow deemed an assault on those guests who were quite satisfied, and which required a positive reaffirnation of Carnival in a most rude and uncomplimentary manner.
This thread started out simply as a reporting of my experiences, and my resulting dissatisfaction. It immediately became a circling of wagons affair, with a mob mentality atmosphere prevailing.
So be it.
Old February 26th, 2005, 02:02 PM
never again

<< Embarassed????? NEVER!! >>

'Nuff said.
Old February 26th, 2005, 02:33 PM
never again

<< Well, I for one am tired of trying to help someone who does not pay attention and will not concede what is true when explained to them. >>

I too have grown weary of requesting that you explain exactly what "help" you have been trying to provide. I asked this before, and you failed to respond with anything substantive. If your help consists of ignoring instructions from Carnival staff, published Carnival policy and Carnival obtaining money under false pretenses, then I am indeed not paying attention. What you are unable to comprehend is that there is no help in ameliorating the problems that I listed, it was simply my misfortune. They exist, and nothing that I have done or could have done would have changed anything.

<< I will further answer one question, that am I compensated by Carnival Cruise Lines in any manner. The resounding answer is NO. While I am in charge of the message boards at this website I and my staff have always allowed anyone to report anything they see as a problem so long as they can back it up. It would seem that you simply want to complain and not listen to some good advice others have provided. >>

Other than sailing with a different line, please name even one piece if good advice that has been offered here.

<< Guess I am through talking to you and suggest other pack in in as well. >>

Nothing would please me more.
Old February 26th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Admiral

This thread started out simply as a reporting of my experiences, and my resulting dissatisfaction. It immediately became a circling of wagons affair, with a mob mentality atmosphere prevailing

In my opinion (drawn from "working" on Internet message boards for almost 10 years), the only reason for the reaction was the TITLE.

If it had been titled.. My Legend Experience, or My problems on the Legend, you may have got a few "defenders" type reactions, but more than likely perhaps some more helpful feedback on how you could deal the problems, or advice on how to deal with them better if you should encounter the situations again.

"Carnival really sucks" is a pretty aggressive, and all encompassing statement to open with, especially considering there were things you liked about it, and you did say you enjoyed the cruise.

Old February 26th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to JoannFla

So I looked on this cruisemates cruise, that members are going on..it says 789 double occupancy..you mean its 789 bucks for both me and my fiance if I go on it? Or per person...let me know if anyone knows!!! ARE WE HAPPY IN HERE YET??? I think we all need to chill and go on a cruise..
Old February 26th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Familiar Face

>>My accountant tells me that that is simply a scam, so that Carnival can skim of the interest accrued on YOUR money during that month. Multiply that amount by the number of guests, by the number of ships, by the number of sailings, and you accumulate quite a tidy sum.<<

Ok, your accountant is accusing Carnival Corp. of scamming cruisers by holding fraudulent charges against their credit cards. I would certainly have him/her file suit in behalf of all those that are affected by this procedure. It would be a 'tidy sum' in a class acion suit IF that could possibly be true or ever be proven.
Strong words, I hope that they have some facts to back that statement up.

<<your inattentiveness caused you not to notice that I recommended the jazz bar and late night pizza.>>

To be quite honest it was your overwhelming negative overreaction to minor problems on your vacation caused me to overlook it. Your posting under different screen names also does little to help clarify responses.

<<I was confronted with a snide and condescending attitude. Pretty much, "Too bad, so sad.">>

They said "Too bad, so sad." or was that your opinion of what they meant?

<<DO NOT sign up for the "Island Tour" in St. Maarten. It is a disgusting waste of time and money>>

So much for an objective opinion. That reads like a demand.

<<It appears that my complaints are common with Carnival.>>

Really? Why do you say that?

<<Carnival claims that their sponsored tours guarantee that you will be back on the ship on time. That is a bald faced lie>>

Yes it is a lie, but not via Carnivals mouth. Where did you read/hear that?
To quote Carnivals words exactly.....

"One of the many benefits of booking excursions through Carnival is a guarantee that the ship will remain in port until all guests are back onboard."

Let's get the facts straight here...................

Carnival DOES NOT guarantee that you will be back on the ship on time.
They DO guarantee that the ship will remain in port until all guests are back onboard if you are on a Carnival booked shore excursion.
Been there, seen that.
Big difference.

The shore excursions ARE NOT "sponsored" by Carnival in any way.

"All of the shore excursions, including any related transportation, are operated by local independent companies and they are solely responsible for their products, excursions and any related transportation."
"Carnival acts only as an agent for the independent tour operators supplying excursions or services."

As for lines, welcome to the world of cruising! Trying to move 2,000 passengers all headed the same direction at the same time a couple times a day and you may encounter a wait here & there. We have cruised on various lines since 1989 and that fact has never changed much. That's just life on EVERY ship.

For the charge on your credit card THAT is the one thing that should not happen and I am really interested in finding out the truth.
A call to the credit card company will put a hold on the charge until the issue is resolved.
You are not responsible for any charges during that period.

<<<This thread started out simply as a reporting of my experiences, and my resulting dissatisfaction. It immediately became a circling of wagons affair, with a mob mentality atmosphere prevailing.>>>

No, it started out exactly the opposite. You opened the door in a room full of people that you did not know that were discussing Carnival cruises and yelled......

"Carnival really sucks"

Not just Carnival sucks, but "really sucks"

Did you think that we all would agree with you. If you want in to a discussion with people you should first get an idea of how the conversation is progressing before telling us what excusrions we should NOT book, in your opinion.

Toss a rock in a crowd and a few may toss back at you..

<<Other than sailing with a different line, please name even one piece if good advice that has been offered here.>>

If you came here looking for advice that is the best that anyone could offer.
Try another line. (or just skip cruising vacations)

I am wondering what your cruise history is, if you would care to inform us.......

Was this your first?
Have you tried other lines?
Been on Carnival before?

This sort of stuff helps us form our own opinions also.

The internet has led many first time cruisers to unrealistic expectations sometimes.
For about $100.00 a day, we expect everything to be perfect in an imperfect cruise world.
We want 5 star meals, entertainment, accomodations and good weather.
We expect white glove treatment all the time.
If we can't have a Coke when we want it we throw a hissy fit.

I'm wondering if anyone here gets paid $100.00 a day and supplies all that to anyone?
Anybody here willing to do that 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks of the year.

I didn't think so.

Yet we expect people from other countries to serve us and bow to our every minute need.
Old February 26th, 2005, 05:43 PM
JD

Here we go again lets all go on a cruise with the Hater and have a group HUG. I have had a few bad times with things on Carnival But the good times are much much more JD NJ

10/2005 ???????
5/2005 Carnival victory
4/2005 Carnival pride
12/2004 Imagination
6/2004 Carnival Miracle
11/2003 Sensation
6/2003 Dawn
5/2003 Carnival Legend
6/2002 Sensation
7/2001 Sensation
5/2001 Carnival Destiny
72000 Sensation
4/2000 Carnival Triumph
5/1999 Carnival Destiny
5/1998 Imagination
5/1997 Sensation
Old February 26th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Author: Joannfla (cache-rtc-ab08.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 02-26-05 16:41

So I looked on this cruisemates cruise, that members are going on..it says 789 double occupancy..you mean its 789 bucks for both me and my fiance if I go on it? Or per person...let me know if anyone knows!!!

Joann... don't we wish!!!! <G> It means its $798 for a balcony cabin, per person if there are two people in the cabin. If there is only one person sailing in the cabin, then the price is higher.

There's also a shipboard credit offered with that, so the "net" price is actually $764. A GREAT deal!

Old February 26th, 2005, 06:24 PM
never again

<< "Carnival really sucks" is a pretty aggressive, and all encompassing statement to open with, especially considering there were things you liked about it, and you did say you enjoyed the cruise. >>

Upon reflection, you are absolutely correct. I had just gotten off the (run-around) phone with Carnival, and was not in a particularly good mood. It seemed appropriate at the time, but I must concede that the title is not an inviting one.
Maybe Jim can retitle it "LEGENDary complaints."
Old February 26th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Admiral

>>Even Kuki had a bad experience on his last Carnival Cruise and yet he didn’t get slammed for his comments/review. I wonder why, did the Carnival devotees feel that they couldn’t question him. Certainly none of you came back making sneering remarks and stating that it must have been ‘his fault’>>

It's because Kuki didn't put "Carnival really sucks" as his subject line! There's a huge difference between finding something wrong and make the sweeping statement that "Carnival really sucks". You get slammed because all you see is what went wrong - not what went right.

If you liked some things about your cruise (like you say), then perhaps you should have reconsidered your subject line of "Carnival really sucks" - it doesn't imply that you had anything other than a horrible experience.

And no, the cruiseline doesn't promise you won't be late from a shore excursion booked through the ship - they only promise the ship won't leave without you. Doing a little homework to see what is promised, the procedures, etc., is without QUESTION the smartest thing to do.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04