Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Never again

Default Carnival really sucks

Returned on 1-31 from a sailing on the Legend; never again.
Although the ship is beautiful, and the food was outstanding, the service and management was appalling.
We missed a shore excursion because the in-room ordering service was not functioning. Upon speaking with a representative at the purser's desk, I was confronted with a snide and condescending attitude. Pretty much, "Too bad, so sad."
DO NOT sign up for the "Island Tour" in St. Maarten. It is a disgusting waste of time and money. In fact, I recommend that if you just want an overview type tour of any of the ports, make your own deal on shore. Carnival claims that their sponsored tours guarantee that you will be back on the ship on time. That is a bald faced lie.
Speaking of ports, we were forced to wait for 45 minutes in a narrow corridor for 45 minutes, upon leaving for Barbados. Those poor people in wheel chairs were crushed, and everyone was in bad temper, when we finally escaped the insipid photographers that were holding everything up. This was the worst case of mismanagement and incompetence that I have experienced in years of vacationing.
Speaking of poor management, be sure to bring a book, when you gather for debarkation in Port Everglades. You will be forced to wait at least an hour in a cramped lounge, without sufficient seating.
We were two days waiting for bath robes, and the room was not cleaned on one day. Don't bother calling about such problems. All that you will get are psuedo apologies.
I asked that the mini-bar be stocked with my beverage of choice (Coca-Cola), and was refused. Moreover, the mini-bar was not stocked, although I was billed for beverages that were not consumed. I was dismissed with advice to trudge down to one of the bars, if I wanted a soft drink.
In the main dinning room, the wait staff is spread so thinly that you are forced to wait an excessive amount of time to be served. Each waiter has so many people to attend to that they are unable to remember regular requests. God forbid that you go to the sit-down breakfast. Expect to wait 20 to 30 minutes to be served. Kudos to the buffet, though. I'm guessing that they steer you there with poor service at the dining room.
The final insult came, when my credit card bill arrived. A mysterious $354.60 charge had been applied on the last day. Upon calling guest relations, I was told that guests were not permitted to speak directly to anyone in the billing department, and that I would have to wait 30 days for the charge to be "researched." In this day of computer technology, that is unconscionable. My accountant tells me that that is simply a scam, so that Carnival can skim of the interest accrued on YOUR money during that month. Multiply that amount by the number of guests, by the number of ships, by the number of sailings, and you accumulate quite a tidy sum. Only the guests are inconvenienced, so what does Carnival care?
In short, although we were able to enjoy this cruise, we will never again sail with Carnival.
Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2005, 02:33 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Carnival really sucks

Here we go again, puh-leeze.

Carnival Destiny 3-9-97
Carnival Sensation 3-14-98
Carnival Imagination 3-13-99
Carnival Spirit 3-8-03
Carnival Valor 3-20-05
Carnival Fantasy 9-1-05
Carnival Liberty 1-7-06
Carnival Legend 8-16-06
Carnival Miracle 5-16-09
Carnival Splendor 5-17-13

Carnival Sunshine
Old February 24th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Kimmi

I'm leaving next week for this same cruise! I've been reading some pretty negative stuff about this particular boat. Anything specific I should be aware of??
Old February 24th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am sorry you had such a horrible cruise...... I would say the worst cruise I had for cruises was actually the 5 dayer out of Tampa last year it seems everything was just not right the whole time, but hey it's a cruise and I stil had fun!

I did send a ton of letters and made a ton of calls when we got home and got something little back from Carnival but I will still sail with them and have 2 more times since the 'bad cruise'!
Old February 24th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Sorry to hear you had such a bad time. Hopefully, its just this ship having problems.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 24th, 2005, 03:26 PM
disgruntled customer

Default Re: Re: Carnival really sucks

Hello? Is this the Ax-Grinding Office???

Ding Ding! Helllloooo, anyone here?

Well, it seems like no one is manning the desk....
Old February 24th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

i have been cruising with Carnival for over 10 years. sure theres been some complains, but they have been resolved quickly. im really interested in your mystery cc bill. come back and let us know. i learned years ago to keep tabs on what goes on the sign and sale, and address any issue right away.
Old February 24th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Never again

It appears that my complaints are common with Carnival.
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Gibby

<<I'm leaving next week for this same cruise! I've been reading some pretty negative stuff about this particular boat. Anything specific I should be aware of??>>

Be sure and ask someone (not the snotty English girl) at the purser's desk how to get off in Barbados in less than 45 minutes.
Eat breakfast at the sumptuous buffet.
Linger at the jazz bar, after dinner. Nice trio.
Do not, under any circumstance, take the Island Tour in St. Maarten. Having been there before, I know that it is beautiful, but you would never know it from this waste of time and money.
Check your Sign & Sail folio nightly, on the TV in your room (if the system happens to be working). Watch for incidental expenses that you did not incur.
On the night before you arrive back in Port Everglades, stop at the purser's desk and ask them if there will be any other charges to your account than what shows on your bill, if you do not make any additional purchases. I have $345.60 unaccounted for.
Again, I am not trying to suggest that the whole cruise was a wash-out, nor that we did not enjoy ourselves. However, there is much room for improvement.
Oh, don't forget to grab some great late night pizza at the Unicorn Buffet.
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Gibby

<<Sorry to hear you had such a bad time. Hopefully, its just this ship having problems.>>

When a multi-national bilion dollar corporation is unable to immediately tell a customer what a bill is for, the problem is not just this ship.
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Gibby

Default Re: Re: Re: Carnival really sucks

<<Hello? Is this the Ax-Grinding Office???>>

Are you the purser?
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Gibby

<< im really interested in your mystery cc bill. come back and let us know. >>

Will do, but as they told me, it may take a month.
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm confused. Are "Never Again" and "Gibby" one and the same?

In reading this very angry posting from whomever - I think a little common sense could have prevented a lot of the problems:

One thing, you can't expect 1500-2000 people to get off a ship in 45 minutes. Do what I do, and have another cuppa coffee on Lido and wait till the crowd gets off. I'd never get in that rush of folks.

Why blame the excursion screen on the TV?... If it didn't work, I think I'd be smart enough to go to the excursion DESK to book it.

About your "Island Tour".....do you mean you actually DIDN'T get back to the ship on time?

Dining room waiters spread too thin? Hmmm. With all the thousands and thousands of folks who cruise, I don't believe I've never EVER heard this complaint before. Odd, huh?

All I can say, in addition, is that you really need to chill. Oh, I understand - you want to get some big compensation from Carnival for all your little aggrevations. Well, good luck. NOTHING about your comments except the unknown $345 (I am not sure what you're talking about, anyway) is worth complaining about. Sounds like most of the problems were SELF-INCURRED. Better luck next cruise.
Old February 24th, 2005, 06:19 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

I suspect/suggest you probably need to sail a premium line such as crystal, Raddison or seaborn. Leave us poor working folks the ability to cruise 1x/ year on a mains tream line.
Old February 24th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Don Smith

I have paid for a cruise we are taking in October out of Charleston,S.C. I find some of your comments about the problems of your cruise laughable.

I regularly hide my wife's bathrobes and put on a Dean Martin record,"That's Amore". It means I am expecting to have fun that night. I plan to buy the wife one of those Carnival Robes to take home...NOT TO WEAR ON THE SHIP.

You complain about waiting 20 minutes to receive breakfast! Never vacation in Myrtle Beach or Charleston, South Carolina. It takes us that long to say hello. What is the big hurry. You are on a cruise?
Old February 24th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Never again

<<I'm confused. Are "Never Again" and "Gibby" one and the same?>>

Yes, I was confused as well. I originally posted my screed in response to "kimmi," who was asking about the same cruise that we had just taken. However, upon clicking on the post button, an error message said that someone else was using my screen name. I then created a new post, hoping that kimmi would see it, then discovered that both had gone through.
Ironically, nobody responded to the reply post, but the stringers for Carnival jumped on the new one.

<< In reading this very angry posting from whomever - I think a little common sense could have prevented a lot of the problems: >>

I agree, if Carnival would have exhibited that sense, our disappointment could have been avoided.

<<One thing, you can't expect 1500-2000 people to get off a ship in 45 minutes. Do what I do, and have another cuppa coffee on Lido and wait till the crowd gets off. I'd never get in that rush of folks.>>

I do expect that many people to be unloaded in less time. Having two exit points would be a common sense approach.
I don't drink coffee, and do not expect to discover the discomfort of a cattle call, while eon vacation. A common sense idea would be to have that insipid cruise director explain such things, rather than hustling sales for jewelry stores in St. Maarten.

<< Why blame the excursion screen on the TV?... If it didn't work, I think I'd be smart enough to go to the excursion DESK to book it. >>

It would have been, if the person at the purser's desk who answered my call (always get a name) didn't tell me to wait a few hours, then try again. By the time those two hours had elapsed, and I did go down to the desk. The excursion was sold out and the associate was rude.

<< About your "Island Tour".....do you mean you actually DIDN'T get back to the ship on time? >>

Not all, we paid for a cab. However, one of the selling points that was presented is that Carnival sponsored cruises guarantee that you will be back on time. Since you are eventually left to your own devices after a tour is over, and the tour does not provide transportation back to the ship, that guarantee is invalid. The implication is, that if you make your own tour arrangements, you might not get back in time. Same-same.

<< Dining room waiters spread too thin? Hmmm. With all the thousands and thousands of folks who cruise, I don't believe I've never EVER heard this complaint before. Odd, huh? >>

Very, since I was hearing the same gripes from other guests. Especially from those that had sailed with less indifferent cruise lines.

<< All I can say, in addition, is that you really need to chill. Oh, I understand - you want to get some big compensation from Carnival for all your little aggrevations. >>

Clearly, you believe that most people dwell at your depth. That is not the case.

<< Well, good luck. NOTHING about your comments except the unknown $345 (I am not sure what you're talking about, anyway) is worth complaining about. >>

To you, perhaps not. However, I am not accustomed to rude behavior, poor management and lack of customer concern.
Allow me to clarify your confusion about the $354.60. That amount did not appear on my final bill, but was charged to my account, in a separate billing. I am told that I may not inquire directly to Carnival's billing department, but that my question will be addressed in 30 days. They have my money, but are unable to explain why. Comprendo?

<< Sounds like most of the problems were SELF-INCURRED. Better luck next cruise>>

Well, silly me. Of course, it was my fault that Carnival's TV menu system was down, and that I foolishly followed instructions from the person in charge. I should have known that Carnival had no plan at all to coordinate and direct debarkation. I shouldn't worry about our room not being cleaned, or being refused a simple request like stocking the mini-bar. Who, but a curmudgeon would complain about his dinner drink finally arriving in time for dessert, having to get up and pour our own water, receiving a dinner that was not ordered, etc.?
And, the $354.60? If I didn't stupidly have a credit line high enough, I wouldn't have been scammed, and told to wait a month for possible resolution.
You're right pal, It's my own fault.
Old February 24th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Never again

<< I suspect/suggest you probably need to sail a premium line such as crystal, Raddison or seaborn. Leave us poor working folks the ability to cruise 1x/ year on a mains tream line. >>

Being a retired poor working folk, I don't expect less for my money. If you are comfortable getting ripped off, you have my admiration.
Old February 24th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Gibby

<< I have paid for a cruise we are taking in October out of Charleston,S.C. I find some of your comments about the problems of your cruise laughable. >>

Well, yuk it up friend. Perhaps you wouldn't mind giggling $354.60 up to me.

<<I regularly hide my wife's bathrobes and put on a Dean Martin record,"That's Amore". It means I am expecting to have fun that night. I plan to buy the wife one of those Carnival Robes to take home...NOT TO WEAR ON THE SHIP. >>

Way too much information.
While you are listening Deano, my wife and I like to avail ourselves of the spa. A bit too chilly for just swim wear in the evening, but I am sure that you bring flannel shirts for such occasions.
Congratulations on your purchase. Inexpensive bath robes are ineed hard to come by.

<< You complain about waiting 20 minutes to receive breakfast! Never vacation in Myrtle Beach or Charleston, South Carolina. It takes us that long to say hello. What is the big hurry. You are on a cruise? >>

Fortunately, SC has never crossed my mind as a vacation destination.
Time is everyone's single nonrenewable resource. If you choose to waste yours in a crowed dining room, that is your prerogative.
Old February 24th, 2005, 08:05 PM
buttercup

I have no complaints with Carnival. Frankly I think people set themselves up for either a great holiday or a lousy one. Leave your complaining attitudes at home and have a good time. Otherwise don't won't your money or mine.
We had a wonderful cruise on the Elation.
Old February 24th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Never again

<< I have no complaints with Carnival. >>
Congratulations. If we had received quality service, I would have no complaints at all either.
Old February 24th, 2005, 09:33 PM
BigCraig

That was funny Don, I live in Columbia SC and know exactly what you mean, coming from Miami what a culture shock.
Old February 25th, 2005, 02:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

I thought that the excursion gurantee was that if you booked through the cruiseline they wouldn't leave without you, not that you would return on time.
Am I incorrect?
Old February 25th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Never again, are you related to Mr UnHappy? Same condescending, look down your nose, I hate everything about Carnival attitude.

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old February 25th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Admiral

To be fair, Never Again does have some legitimate concerns. If a mysterious $354.60 charge that I know nothing about showed up on my credit card bill I would be pretty ticked off too. And the fact that it happened on the last day makes it even worse because it doesn't leave you much time to get it cleared up before you have to leave the ship. I like Carnival very much, but I can still accept the fact that it's not perfect. No cruise line is. I agree that "a cruise is what you make it" to some extent, but the Cruise lines also share some of that responsibility as well. After all, you are paying them thousands of your hard-earned dollars and you have a right to expect (and get) what you pay for, as long as your expectations are within reason.

Gail
Old February 25th, 2005, 06:44 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.

I’m sorry but here we go again! Somebody has to say something! Why is it on this Carnival Forum that when anyone has a bad experience of Carnival and they feel the need to express it thereby criticising their vacation, they get branded as being a liar, abnormal, incurring the wrath of all Carnival devotees? I just don’t understand, I’m sorry.

Surely these Forums are here to give all postees the right to air their views, opinions either good or bad. It is very obvious that when positive things are said about Carnival, the ‘sufferers’, i.e. those of us who have had a bad experience, don’t brand them as idiots.

Life is all about experiences, both good and bad. If you bought a new car, let’s say a Mercedes for example (being a universal product) and the transmission kept failing, the car constantly let you down, ie. a ‘Friday afternoon car’, would you expect other Mercedes owners to tell you that it is your fault and you are a liar, and that because you purchased a certain product, nothing can possibly go wrong!

Carnival lovers PLEASE open your eyes to the fact that things can go wrong with everything in life and not all people are as lucky as you to have the good cruises that you have experienced. Be grateful!

Because there is so much negative comments about this Cruise line and certain named ships in particular, you do have to concede that there are some problems and a certain amount of passengers are suffering as a result.

Even Kuki had a bad experience on his last Carnival Cruise and yet he didn’t get slammed for his comments/review. I wonder why, did the Carnival devotees feel that they couldn’t question him. Certainly none of you came back making sneering remarks and stating that it must have been ‘his fault’.

Most people have a good time and some people do not. It cannot all be their own faults and of their making.

Just please be a little more aware of how you condemn these postings and think how you would feel if you had a truly bad experience with a product/service you had purchased and because you dared moan, you get treated like an imbecile.

Thank you.
Old February 25th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Don Smith

I guess my thinking must be faulty. I thought, as cruisers, we were booking space on a passenger ship that offered certain frills to entice us aboard...NOT CHARTERING the boat thereby placing us in charge of it.

A cruise ship is a large machine with many variables trying to accomodate many types of people, never again is a perfect example. It is difficult to please everyone. I would have a minor problem with the charges being credited to my account if I did not make them, but I would not let having to pay $400 more ruin my trip. If I ran Carnival I would have listed the charges as "aggravation".

Kris, do you honestly believe that if you go snorkeling and decide to swim for China any cruise ship is going to delay departing port until the local charter company finds you and returns you to the port? Mr never again would have a cow if they waited for you!
Old February 25th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

NeverAgain/Gibby.......Thx for agreeing with me. Most of the complaints have no merit, and WERE your own fault, "pal". You need to concentrate on the happier aspects of life. I hope you have a LOVELY day.
Old February 25th, 2005, 08:25 AM
ccseadoo

you missed a tour because u where waiting for breakfast to come to your room...and its carnivals fault??.........you have to be kidding
Old February 25th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Admiral

Well, obviously he had some problems on his cruise, self-inflicted or not. As you can see from my cruising history, all of my cruising has been done on Carnival and we've gotten nothing but EXCELLENT service! One time our waiter was a bit slow, but we commented to the head waiter and the problem was instantly taken care of.

Sometimes things aren't perfect, but you just need to make sure you're bringing it to the attention of someone who can do something about it...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old February 25th, 2005, 09:14 AM
sls

Someone is selling new cruisers a bunch of bull. They expect to be waited on hand and foot and totally pampered on a budget cruise. If you need a lot of one on one attention you should go on an upscale line.

We have been on over 10 cruises including a Mediterrean one that was cancelled 2 days out due to engine problems. Sh*t happens, you have to roll with the punches.

Also what is with island tours? I've lived on the island of Guam and Oahu and just don't see what the thrill is of hopping in a van and driving around. Take me to a beach for a few hours or a shopping district don't keep me hostage in a van.

If you treat the waitstaff/steward in a friendly manner you will be surprised and the service you get.

$354.60 is strange. I've always been charged exactly what was on the bill they slip under the door the last night.

My advice go on a more upscale line or a smaller ship where you can get personalized attention. Read the excursions carefully to make sure they don't dump you somewhere at the end for "shopping"

sls