Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Paul Grigorenko

Default Glory Contacts for 2/19-2/26

For all who were on the Carnival Glory which set sail on 2/19/05 and missed two ports of call, we need to be organized and react in bunches. For those who want to contact Carnival, I have two big contacts.
Mickey Arrison Chairman of the Board and Cheif Executive Officer <MArrison@carnival.com>
Bob Dickinson President and CEO, CTC <BDickinson@carnival.com>

Don't waste time on supervisors and and other crew that was on board. You have to get to the decision makers. Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Glory Contacts for 2/19-2/26

Thanks. I've been on the message boards this morning in hopes of finding out anything that could help us. A good idea to stick together, thanks for the contacts. What is your next move?
Old February 27th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Passenger

Hey, I also was on the cruise. Has anyone gotten a response from Carnival yet? Or heard of what everyone is going to do? We do all need to stick together so any help would be great. Thanks.

Also, has anyone stopped the charges on their credit cards?
Old February 27th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Ray Stoney

Been on the computer for an hour trying to find something about this. Thanks for getting it started Paul. I have contacted MBNA, but have to wait until Monday to get the process rolling. I did have a vacation refunded entirely through a credit card for losing one day out of a three day trip to Las Vegas even though I wasn't asking for a full refund.

Also emailed Carnival, but don't expect even a reply from them. Earlier surfing I ran into a site http://www.consumeraffairs.com/trave...ssedports.html. Obviously not the first time for them. According to this site, they get more complaints about Carnival than all the other cruise lines combined. Wish I specifically researched complaints when researching this cruise.

It's really too bad. The ship, food, and crew weren't bad, but the company has no respect for its customers. If they had offered a half price future cruise or a $250/per credit I would have let it go, "s#*% happens" and I understand that, but their $100 answer is insulting and the company likely saved money on this cruise. Also I am convinced they were aware before we got to Nassau that we were not going to St Thomas and St Maarten. They basically nullified passengers ability to use their so-called Vacation Guarantee by not notifying us until we got back from Nassau.

Also suggest writing the BBB in Florida. Saw the address earlier and I'll repost it if I find it again.

Stick together. The squeaky wheels get the oil.
Old February 27th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Passenger

I also was on the Glory this past week. This is what I have done so far. The morning that we landed in Freeport, I called the President of Carnival office (Bob Dickenson) and got a supervisor who spouted the Carnival lingo that they reserve the right to change ports of call and that we were lucky to get the $100 on board credit. I told her that I was insulted with that offer and that I paid for a Carribean cruise and I got a Florida cruise. I told her that they do not charge the same amount for these two types of cruises so why should I pay Carribean prices for a Florida cruise? I also had my travel agent call and she got similar answers but she did say that we should follow this up with a letter of complaint and maybe they will reconsider their position. When you call the office be sure to get a reference number for your complaint. I heard that there was a lawyer on board who is considering filing a class action suit against Carnival. Another option is to file a claim in small claims court. Someone did this on a previous complaint and Carnival settled because they did not want to send a lawyer to argue the case. The pressure of public opinion is the only way to get satisfaction. The internet can be a very persuasive tool.

If they know about the engine problem before we left Port Canaveral then what happened was fraud. At the very least they knew the night of the first sailing before we pulled into Nassau. They had options at that point. They could have announced it before we got off the ship that morning and you could have had a longer day at Nassau or we could have left the ship at that point. Neither was an option open to the guests.
Old February 27th, 2005, 04:03 PM
glory 2/19 blew

YES! THANXS I WILL BE EVERYONE SHOULD
Old February 27th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Psquared

I insisted on getting a reference number while on ship. I called my travel agent this morning and gave them all of the info. They will be calling Carnival in the am on my behalf. I also started the process with my American Express, we'll see where this goes.
If you feel you were cheated in any way, DO NOT LET IT GO! I work very hard for my money. I expect to get reimbursed accordingly. We tried to get off the boat, but there were no flights available for us. We were stuck onboard.
I will update as info rolls in.......
Thanks, Paul
Old February 27th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Psquared

February 27, 2005

Passengers angry about slow cruise

BY JOHN A. TORRES
FLORIDA TODAY

***Copyrighted material deleted***
Old February 27th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Admiral

Unfortunately you are fighting a losing battle guys. I can understand your frustration and won't say that I would not be upset as well but the fact is that they do not have to go to any ports, half the ports, or they can change ports. That is in your contract and by paying for your cruise you have agreed to it. In addition CCL is the ONLY line that I know of that actually has a written policy of returning to you a shipboard credit of $20 per person IF you miss a port and they cannot find an alternate one.. They only had to give you $20. Other cruiselines do not even offer that much. While those e-mail addys are correct understand that neither Mr Ariston or Mr. Dickinson will see these unless thier asst. who checks the e-mail wishes them to. What I am saying guys is that while I understand you need to pick your battles and make sure they are the ones you can win. If you write real nice and in an understanding way they may do something else for you as a loyal customer but demanding will not work.
Jim

Old February 27th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Paul Grigorenko

Default Re: Re: Glory Contacts for 2/19-2/26

Mr. Bragg, I hate to say this, but this battle can and will be won. The cruise industry is a service industry just like restaraunts and hotels, and in the United States you expect to get what you pay for. What would you have done if it were you on this cruise? I don't think you'd sit back and take it like you expect us to. In response to the person who asked you about having the wrong organ removed as an operation is an operation, I wholeheartedly agree with his/her viewpoint. I work in the service industry, and perhaps for one of your largest purveyors for food. I highly doubt that if the food was of poor quality, you'd say "food is food". You would expect a refund and replacement of the food items you or your head chef were dissatisfied with. You need to understand that a cruise isn't just a cruise, so stop telling us we can't win our battle. We shouldn't even have to battle. We should have recieved what we paid for, and have been allowed to leave when we wanted to in Nassau. Do you realize that only 60 or so folks were allowed to leave? Bet your customer service reps never told you that. Also, when we tried to talk to the pursors, we were told to contact the Miami office. When we did what we were instructed to do, with the phone number we were given, we were told to contact the pursors office. Guess what that's called. Pass the buck. CCL is well known for that, I'm finding out, and trust me, in the service industry, that shouldn't be allowed. By the way, has the woman that fell or was perhaps pushed overboard on a past cruise on another ship that was showcased on Inside Edition ever found? Come on, get with it, and do something for once to satisfy people who received poor service and none at all in some cases. We paid for filet mignon, and received chopped liver. Explain that.
Old February 27th, 2005, 06:44 PM
question

this is to jim are you working for the company ccl is sounds that way
Old February 27th, 2005, 06:58 PM
aldo cammalleri

YOU CAN ALSO WRITE TO THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OFFICE OF FLORIDA BECAUSE CCL IS BASED OUT OF MIAMI
Old February 27th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Christine Grigorenko

Mr. Bragg,
I took the opportunity to read through the entire contract that was in my booking information with CCL, and nowhere did it say that CCL would refund $20 US to folks dissastified with their cruise. Also, if you read, for other angry passengers, number 15 in your booklet there are some good contacts for the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida in Miami. Also, Mr. Bragg, please read number 17. Every singe passenger and crew member including the captain, was at some risk as the ship was malfunctioning. Getting caught on a sand bar is no joke for a ship's propellor system, as well as the environmental problems that it posed. Do you realize, that if you were on that ship, you would have seen the light fixtures shaking so hard that it seemed as though they would fall right off the ship. At one point, the ship was moving so fast, that anyone with physical limitations walking on an outdoor deck could have been blown off their feet, or better yet, a small child. As far as the CCL guarantee, I was not made aware of being able to leave at the first port until 3 days later when I spoke to a pursor after having spoken to customer service in Miami. I, as well as 3,000 other passengers and my family expect some sort of resolution out of this. I will be contacting the BBB in Miami as well as the Transportation board and anyone else who will listen along with several consumer advocates about this experience. This was my 3rd cruise with Carnival, and I have to tell you, my prior 2 experiences were great. This one was not. I also feel as though we were not given the truth about the given situation, nor were we given a choice. I along with other passengers I have spoken with, agreed that if we were given a choice, things could have been different. Maybe you should have been on this ship so you could experience first hand that a Carribean cruise and a Florida cruise are 2 very different animals. We paid for a 7 day cruise package, and recieved only a 4 day package. That's a big difference in money.
Old February 27th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Admiral

No folks, I am in no way affiliated with Carnival. While we have enjoyed their product more than the other lines overall we have had one cruise that was not very good at all and a couple that were less than average and I explained them here fully both the good and the bad. You were not paying attention when I said that I understand that you are angry and that I did not blame you and would probably be angry it didn't turn out the way I wanted it too either. I simply stated that CCL certainly is not happy about it either and according to their rules they have done all that is REQUIRED and a little more. Is that enough?I really don't know, but it was something and they have a history of doing more than most lines when they have problems. As for lawsiuts, they did in fact provide what they PROMISED even though they were not able to provide what they PLANNED. As for the GTY, I have no idea why they would only allow 60 people to debark and take them up on this but I was not there and don't know that this is what happened. If it was, then it was wrong. As for knowing about the GTY and being able to get off, again, the law 'presumes' you should know. I am not speaking from a customer or a cruiseline point of view, I am looking at it completely unbiased and fron what is legally contracted as far as I can see. I am not a lawyer nor do I play one but I do not see anything they did, or failed to do legally. Morally, well that is up to you and them to figure out and I am sure you both look at it from differing points of view.
Jim

Old February 27th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Christine Grigorenko

Mr. Bragg,
Exactly what is your title then? Are you the supervisor of this site? If so, you really need to make folks aware of that fact. You have made it seem as though you are affiliated with Carnival, especially since you told us where to read in our contracts. Okay, so you have been on some cruises. Some good, some bad. How then, can you say having not been on this particular cruise that we are fighting a losing battle? This is a service industry, and I highly doubt that you would let this one slide by. Especially where it was a gift to my teenage kids, and my husband wanting to suprise me with things in St Thomas. All I want out of this one is some restitution. It's not too much to ask.
Old February 27th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Psquared

My wife and I decided to make a huge financial decision when we took this trip.
We have five children and when you add the total cost of this cruise we put a nice dent in our retirement fund. We wanted this trip to be a trip of a lifetime for our family. As far as we are concerned, Carnival has failed. They are responsible to maintain their product. How safe was it to run on just one engine? I'm not an expert, but I would have to say it wasn't too safe. We inquired about leaving but was told that there was no guarantee we could get a hotel in Orlando. They said we could fly to Miami but they would'nt pay for us to get back to Orlando. Their contract states that if we chose to leave, Carnival would return us to the original Port Of Call. (Port Canaveral) This was NEVER offered.
They need to put this fire out before it gets out of control!!!
Old February 27th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Christine Grigorenko

Funny, how many stories spread around the ship. I had heard about your family, and if I'm not mistaken, were you all in one stateroom? I find that the $100 credit to the sail and sign account was very insulting to our inteligence, and even worse, the crew lied to us all. It's time that Carnival stepped up to the plate and take better care of it's passengers. Word of mouth is the best advertising tool, and if you ask me, Carnival isn't getting too much in the way of good press.
Old February 28th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Passenger

Hey all! Has anyone made any progress with Carnival? Keep me updated and I will do the same.
Old February 28th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Dlewis1661

I tried the above contacts and they would not send. Anyone else able to get thru.
I was on this cruise and have gotten know where with carnival, basicly told sorry out of luck/
Old February 28th, 2005, 01:29 PM
FRUSTRATED

Default Re: Re: Glory Contacts for 2/19-2/26

thanks paul...we are writing & calling on our end here too in mass. getting now where but bad attitudes from cust svc reps on the phone...please let us know what other routes are available to take...we need to contact the atty gnl where carnival is located, is this correct? the corporate hdqtrs is where in fla.? we're not giving up that easy either...i drive a school bus so i have plenty of midday time to sit on the phone or type letters...i value my money far too much to just let this one go....tx
Old February 28th, 2005, 02:13 PM
DUANE & CAROL MILLER

PLEASE KEEP US INFORMED.
WE WILL ALSO EMAIL CARNIVAL.
Old February 28th, 2005, 02:15 PM
CAROL & DUANE MILLER

forgot to mention - we contact our attorney and he said it is definitely a breach of contract. Since there was an Attorney on board what is his point of view?
Old February 28th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Admiral

Christine, my position here is exactly as stated in my sig line, no more, no less. I have never stated or even implied that I am associated with any cruiseline and have in fact made it well known I am not. I simply stated what is written and provided what is good advice and told you what will happen, for good or bad. I will not give you false hope and tell you that you will get x amount of money back etc because I simply do not see it happening. CCL has in the past been more than generous and this seems to have led people to believe that compensation will always follow and that is not the case and I see less and less compensation as the industry gets more competitive. Again, sory for this happening but these things do occasionally happen on cruiseships, land vacations, car trips, etc. etc. The more one yells and complains and demands, the less anyone is bound to get anything.
Jim

Old February 28th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Donna T

Jim -
Wake up and smell the coffee......yet a better cliche' .....The Squeaky Wheel Gets the Grease......and another....Strength in numbers.....Need I continue? Jim think before you share

Donna
Old February 28th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Passenger

How did Carnival come up with the $100 per person compensation?
Old February 28th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Jim, you and I know you are basically wasting your time to try reasonably explain anything to a group hellbent on " compensation ".
Read carefully-- it's always " I heard " -- " they said " etc, etc. Ok, so there was a lawyer on board ( so someone heard )--- maybe there was a mechanic on board, or a plumber, or maybe a surgeon--- big deal.
I'm sorry anything happened to disrupt anyones vacation. Things happen. Usually Carnival will go further than most large companies to try to satisfy a customer but threats, taking a bullying attitude, etc usually just prolongs any sensible adjustment.
It also takes time to arrive at what they intend to do, if anything.

How many cruises has the Glory completed without a problem, does anyone know, or care ? A few years ago when Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Sea was new, we lost an engine after leaving Labadee and lost a day, limping into San Juan around 6 pm one evening. The problem was corrected and life went on. I didn't hear anyone shouting lawsuit, etc.

Talking lawsuits, etc. is ridiculous over something such as this but hey, carry on if it feels good.

Go ahead and flame the hell out of me--- I can take it and no, I'm not affliated with any cruise line in anyway.
Old February 28th, 2005, 06:38 PM
First Mate

Get over it people. I have had two cruises where I was the sickest I've probably ever been in my whole life. Two trips entirely ruined, and I did not cast blame or ask for compensation. You should be lucky that you still had a cruise. Any time spent on a ship healthy is a great time to me. The reason I go on cruises is for the ships, I could care less about the ports.

Carnival Destiny 3-9-97
Carnival Sensation 3-14-98
Carnival Imagination 3-13-99
Carnival Spirit 3-8-03
Carnival Valor 3-20-05
Carnival Fantasy 9-1-05
Carnival Liberty 1-7-06
Carnival Legend 8-16-06
Carnival Miracle 5-16-09
Carnival Splendor 5-17-13

Carnival Sunshine
Old February 28th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Valerie Cochell

My husband and I were on this cruise also. For someone to say "Get over it!" or sorry you people are S--- out of luck when they weren't even on this cruise is really callous. Some of us spent years and years saving for this particular cruise (Jim and Jocko) So mind your own d--- business. Unfortunately I can't stop my credit card payment because I paid cash for this. If anyone has any response from the BBB let me know. In the meantime I am going to write those letters and call my travel agent. I am not going to threaten or bully but I am going to plead my case!
Valerie Cochell
Old February 28th, 2005, 08:04 PM
First Mate

St. Maarten is a dessert Isle, I would rather have gone to the Bahamas or Key west then there anyway.
Old February 28th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Paramedic

Hi All!

My wife and I, along with two other couples, were on the Glory for this FUN SHIP CRUISE...FUN being an acronym for "FLOATING UNCONTROLLABLY NOWHERE!"

We had planned this trip for over a year as it was to be our belated honeymoon as we were married in October.

My wife had looked forward to St. Thomas and we were all bummed by the infamous engine problem.

I called Carnival today and being the wiseguy I am, asked to speak to the CEO, Mr. Dickinson, who of course was not immediately available to take my call. Instead, I was given an associate in his office (yeah right, I am sure this was his #1 associate) who informed me that they had received multiple calls of complaint today and that each passenger would be receiving a GENERIC FORM LETTER from Carnival basically apologizing for the incident and that's it. I was told that at present, there are NO PLANS to compensate us further. I was told all of the BLAH BLAH BLAH about the contract which allows them to change itineraries. I kindly told this person that why yes, legally Carnival may be able to do that, but ETHICALLY, we deserve more! I think a FAIR resolution would be to offer a discounted rate or percentage for a future cruise, allowing us to get a real Eastern Caribean experience instead of the Bahamas-Florida coastline trot that lasted 7 days. By the way, did anyone see the couple in the rowboat that passed us just off of Miami! HA HA HA