Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2005, 06:49 PM
Ginamarie

Default Re: CARNIVAL

Mark, you had a cruise ticket.. it was in a little booklet with a bunch of pages. You probably only looked at the first few pages, maybe filled out your credit card information and emergency contact. You also must have signed your name somewhere (everyone must sign before boarding the ship). That was your contract.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 07:10 PM
Raelyn

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: CARNIVAL

I e-mailed the Federal Department of Transportation yesterday, they were kind enough to reply today with this message:

Your best course of Action is to contact the US Coast Guard directly: www.uscg.mil/contact.html
The US Coast Guard home page is: www.uscg.mil

Note: The fact sheet explains how cruise ships are regulated by the U.S. Coast Guard and other Government agencies: www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/cruiseship.htm

I am trying to find out if cruise ships need to keep a maintenance log and under the freedom of information act if I can acquire it. Hopefully tomorrow or over the weekend I will have more time to accomplish this.

I also have compiled a letter to our credit card company with the help of our Corporate Attorney at work and Safety Manager with my main concerns being the safety of this ship. If I remember right the Captain announced he would not put this ship in the Atlantic Ocean, but we did go into the Gulf. To me water is water and I don't believe this ship should of left the port of Nassau without first being repaired. I believe the part could of been expedited to Nassau instead of waiting until we got off the coast of Florida to have it brought out to us by boat.

It is my strong opinion that we should not concentrate on the $100.00 non-refundable ship board credit, but to cast our focus on the seaworthyness of this ship, that we were not put into harms way so that Carnival would not have to refund any money. Just my opinion.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 07:48 PM
bigstem

Did anyone see the news cast is Syracuse? If so, what did they say?
Old March 3rd, 2005, 07:55 PM
Don Smith

When the attempts to pursue any venture reduces itself to grasping at any and all possible areas of causing the cruise line troubles by saying things like they may not have obeyed the rules of the coast guard or they may have allowed underage persons to gamble without direct proof....the group reduces its image to that of a buffoon. I am certain that some of the rants on this venue will bear Carnival well should any of you actually manage to convince a judge to hear this case.

Be certain that Carnival attempts to conduct business obeying all the rules and regulations it Must obey. Any fault found in the cruise line operating legally will be one of oversight, not intentional.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 10:13 PM
Passenger

This is the news cast from Syracuse: http://www.wixt.com/news/yournews/so...5-CD582A9941BD
Old March 3rd, 2005, 10:40 PM
Admiral

If I may I shall answer a couple of more questions I have been asked. I am not about to go start my own website where I contrcl what is posted. Reason is simple so pay attention, I AM THE PERSON WHO RUNS THESE BOARDS. While I did not start this website the company that did has placed the responsibility of ensuring the TOS are followed on these boards. The Community Staff Supervisor means that I am the person 'Supervising' those who work for me moderating the boards and hosting the chat areas as they are the Staff. These are all fine and dedicated people as well and I am propud of eacjh and every one of them. I have tried to explain that I am sympathic towards your plight but I know that nothng is going to come of it. I do not, nor does anyone on the staff work for CCL or any other cruiseline nor are we beholding to them. If I wanted to stop this thread I could by simply deleting it. It all boils down to that the staff and many of the other people that cruise often have tried to explain to you what has happened, has happened in the past, and will happen in the future. I really am sorry that it is not what you want to hear but it is what it is. I think we have all been very patient and acted properly and kindly. Sorry if you don't feel that way. You don't want to listen to the facts so I have nothing further to say except to obey the Terms of Service of your posts will be deleted.
Jim

Old March 4th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Lori Cannon

Hello Frustrated,
I was on the Glory as well and I agree with you 100%!!!!!!!!!!! I am not sure what else there is to do. Did you sign the petition that they were walking around with?? I did, but I don't know what that will do. We paid for a family of 4, and I think that the $400 ship credit was an insult. Pretty much a slap in the face. I had big plans for St Marteen and I don't know if I will ever be able to get there again.

Also, did you notice the people in the airport on Saturday going to the ship to go out again??? I can't imagine that ship was really fixed miraculously for them to go out that same day. Some of the crew told us that they were leaving that day for Cozumel, Belize and Progresso.

We should keep in touch with details. Unfortunatley I have no idea how I fell upon this site, so I may never be able to get back to it, so feel free to use my email address.

Lori
Old March 4th, 2005, 01:57 AM
Lori Cannon

Sorry I don't know if anyone can see my email address on my last posting...

cannon_lori@hotmail.com

I would love to talk to anyone about the cruise.
Old March 4th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

While I've been reading this thread with some interest I wasn't going to comment as I wasn't on the ship and didn't think I had anything to add. I have noticed something though that no one has talked about and that's the cost of a suit against Carnival. While I do think that you're entitled to more than $100 credit, even if I was on that ship and had been treated the way you were I wouldn't join in any suit, due to what it would cost in time, energy and money.

There are two ways lawyers charge: by the hour plus expenses and on a contingency fee plus expenses. Where I live the hourly rate ranges from $150/hr to $350/hr. For a contingency fee, if the attorney beleives that he will be able to win the case he (or she) will charge a contingency fee of 25%-35% and if he or she is doubtful of the outcome it will be 40%-50%. Out of pocket expenses are charged under both types of billing. In contingency fee cases I've seen lawyers charge for paper, supplies, long distance telephone calls, secretarial fees, etc. not to mention deposition fees, expert witness fees and on and on...Keep this in mind before you decide to join any class action suits. You will most likely be asked for money up front to defray the expenses and when it runs out you will be asked for more. Expert witness fees can run $5000-$20000 for a day of testimony, depending on the expert. All of the expenses can run up into thousands of dollars, and remember, even it you lose, you pay them. I once worked on a product liability case where the gentleman spent over $40,000 in expenses and lost his case. If you win, right off the top you will pay your attorney whatever his fee is, any remaining expenses that haven't been paid, before the money filters down to you.

Say you win and your damages are the cost of your cruise. You will be reimbursed the cost of your cruise, less what your lawyer charges and less expenses. You could wind up in the hole.

Interview several attorneys before making a decision. If you talk to 4 and 3 tell you that you don't have a snowballs chance in ....... you'll have a pretty good idea of what kind of case you have and should make a decision based on that.

Also, don't count on the media to keep this hot. They'll lose interest in the year or years it will take to bring this to trial and it will be old news. Does anyone remember, other than the people who were on it, which ships didn't sail to Bermuda but to Canada a few years ago due to the hurricane? I don't and l live right outside of Boston. It was news for a few days and then no one talked about it.

Just my two cents.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old March 4th, 2005, 05:58 PM
bigstem

Hey familycruiser,
What letter?
Old March 4th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Darcy,
I was thinking the same thing. Too much time, money and energy that could go toward another vacation!
haley

Old March 4th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Ciaran

Wow what a thread. I've never been on Carnival yet but I have heard good things about them so, for whatever that is worth.

I can see both sides here, I know why the contract says they can skip ports because who knows what is gonna happen BUT ... there is a helluva difference between skipping a port or diverting due to hurricane and not even sailing close to the Caribbean. Some of you ppl seem fanatic about "the contract" .. well fine .. but wouldn't a ship with NO propulsion that they just towed out two miles and let sit in the water meet "the contract"?? I can just hear you guys saying "The ship was floating wasn't it?? The gave gave you a 4 mile cruise! Stop whining and read ur contract!"

So when does a "caribbean cruise" stop being one? Is Bahamas good enough? Would the harbor be good enough? Legally good enough? I don't know.

I understand the reasons for the way the contract is written, but I can sure sympathize with the people on that ship. What they got was not much better than just sitting in port for a week, even if it is "legal". And I wonder about that. If I had paid $$$$ I would def at least ASK a lawyer about it.
Old March 5th, 2005, 06:11 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete
Default Re: Re: CARNIVAL

Jim and Kuki,

You both are the voices of reason!

Reading through all this (from bottom, up, unfortunately), sometimes with misinformation (the Glory now has grown Azipods?)...(Carnival knew before they sailed?), (comparing this executed, albeit not planned cruise, with cancelled and cut short cruises), laced with all this emotion confounds me.

Personally, I (me, myself, no one else) would have listened to what I was told, enjoyed myself, and upon returning, if I truly found I was "inconvenienced", written Carnival about my displeasure. I have done it before about things now embarrasing menial and trivial, and gotten my 10 to 20% letter.
Old March 5th, 2005, 02:53 PM
FRUSTRATED

Is the $150.00 off, for a cruise or is it ship board credit. We recieved a message from our TA, but I have not been able to talk to him yet. If it is shipboard then it must be nice to offer something that you know you will get back. It's a start. Has anyone heard how the Glory fared this week. It be nice to hear from some passengers.
Old March 5th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Wentz1

I have not received a letter from Carnival (regarding $150 off next cruise). I just called them thursday to express my issues/complaints from the Feb. 19th Glory sail.

While waiting at the Orland airport, I couldn't resist to stop a group of about 6-8 people with the Carnival Glory tags on their luggage. They were on their way to the ship. I told them about our cruise and the mechanical problems...I think I scared them. Hopefully the itinerary didn't change for them.

Check Floridaytoday.com for any articles on this weeks cruise. Since they had 2 articles on our cruise, I'm sure they would have an article this week if the ships not fixed and the itinerary changed again.
Old March 5th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Donna T.

Congratulations to all who believed in standing up for what was right. Carnival has begun it's process of making thier wrong, right. At this time there is an offer on the table which aknowledges their liability in this situation. What I stressed from the beginning has held true....every situation is different and not all outcomes will be the same. If anyone was scared off by Mr. Braggs with his insistance that there would be nothing compensated on behalf of Carnival let this be a lesson to you and Mr. Braggs as well. Although he spoke with much experience, he is now going down with the ship. Think about this....why did Carnival have a change of heart? Was it because they believed they were wrong? I think not. I believe it was a result many people coming together and not giving up! As I mentioned a few days ago, The squeaky wheel gets the grease. As I stated Carnival has begun it process, I will not accept an unreasonable or unfair offer.

Don't Give Up
Donna T.
Old March 5th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

You all have me scared, what happened to that ship is my worsed nightmare, am going on 03/21 cruise on smaller ship and now this makes me worried for my safety. thanks alot to you all for making me worried.
Old March 5th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Admiral

Donna, I have not tried to scare anyone off and neither have any of the other experanced cruises that have tried to answer simple questions. We have all tried to be polite and factual. Some of the people who were on the Glory that week have in turn been most unreasonable and down right nasty towards anyone that doesn't go along with whatever they say. If you get anymore then great, but you will not see CCL admit fault and they are doing it because they are an exceptional cruiseline and not because they owe you anything. Also, I would appreciate you at least getting my name correct, it is Bragg and not Braggs.
Jim

Old March 5th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: CARNIVAL

I was sitting in the lower dining room at the back of the ship when we got stuck on the sandbar. It was Wed at 10:15am. My family was seated by the rear window so we could watch the tugboat tug our ship. The boat started shaking and making a horrible noise. Our waitress said, "Oh, no! This has never happened, we're stuck." They kept trying to get off of the bar. It stirred up a ton of sand that was visible in the ocean. It was scary to watch w/ my 4 young children. I was afraid of what might happen next.
Old March 6th, 2005, 09:44 PM
scott nelson

call me directly at 1-305-599-2600, ext. 12114
Old March 6th, 2005, 09:56 PM
bobj12

Old March 7th, 2005, 12:13 AM
wes

Pebbs,
Are you serious? you work in contracts and you thinks Carnival has no responsibility? You mean to tell me that everytime you go into a hospital and sign a release of responsibility form for medical mistakes that you waive your rights? Are you sure you really work with contracts?
I was on this cruise and I was told that I could NOT take the vacation guarentee when I specifically asked for it....and get this everyone: Carnival just told me on the phone that 500 people left the ship in Feeport and Key West...500???? that is ridiculous...they continue to lie!!! Further we were told that if we left the ship we would be charged $250 for breaching "contract of carriage"... Jim, you really shouldn't comment on things you don't know...the $100 ship credit was NON REFUNDABLE!!!
Old March 7th, 2005, 02:02 PM
WeRready2go

Default Re: Re: Re: CARNIVAL

I do not blame Carnival (totally) for the underage gambling. If the parents are not concerned with this, you should not be.