Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sensation stabilizers

I have read the stabilizers on the Sensation do not work allowing much rocking......... truth?? Ok, say we get in nasty storm, we going to tip over? Ok, maybe not tip over but isn't this a serious matter & should be repaired? Carnival fixing the problem?? ty
Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Sensation stabilizers

If you go out on the deck during a fairly quite day and look down about midships you will see the stabilizers sticking out fron the side of the ship. I am sure that they are in fine working order. Even so, understand that ships will still have a rocking motion especially the flat-bottomed cruise ships that are made now. Trust me, without them the ship would really rock badly.
Jim

Old February 28th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

TY Jim. Our last night of our Princess cruise, horrible waters, was cool lol I just want to know the stabilizers ARE working Don't want to walk around the ship w/my life jacket on lol
Old February 28th, 2005, 11:37 PM
First Mate

I leave Thursday on the Sensation and heard the same thing. I don't get sea sick but since I heard that I am bringing along meds. Let her rock, I am prepared. . I am just ready to go!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old March 1st, 2005, 08:32 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to DPMinc

When I sailed out on the Sensation on Jan 29, there was plenty of rocking, but I still enjoyed my cruise, and did not get sick.

Paul

Norwegian Dream, Sun, Spirit
Royal Caribbean Grandeur/Sea
Old March 1st, 2005, 04:52 PM
my3dogs

Stacowgirl,

We'll be on the cruise this Thursday, too. I've been on other cruises with no problem, but I'm worried about this one. Already have my Bonine packed.

Sensation -- March 3, 2005

Conquest -- Nov, 2004
Holiday -- Sept, 2004
Conquest -- Feb, 2004
Holiday -- Nov, 2002
Old March 1st, 2005, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

I know they usually turn stabilizers off on all boats going down the Mississippi --- or up - mainly for safety reasons. They are put back out when at sea.
Old March 1st, 2005, 07:09 PM
Admiral

The ships will not sail in the open water without the stabilizers. Many people 'say' that the stabilizers were not out or they heard that they were broken etc but all it is is rough water. Rumors travel faster on a ship than anywhere else. Once in Costa Rica we tried to tied up and dock but the seas were pretty high with those long swells and that caused the lines to even break, one of the gangways buckled etc while they were trying. This went on for maybe a hour before the Captain wisely decieded that the swells preculded safely tying up the ship and departed the port. I was on the upper deck and watched the entire process, In that hour I heard everything from the government had been overthrown, the locals were coming to kill anyone that got off, the Captian was being held hostage, CCL refused to pay the bribe, some crew mutined and jumped ship, etc, etc. Tis was just a few of the statement I heard in my little area. When I stated what I knew was the reason by what I observed I was almost attacked for such stipud statements and accused of being a plant for CCL and/or part of the crew! Strange to say the least.
Jim

Old March 1st, 2005, 07:19 PM
Phil & Liz

Something else I had heard was that the stabilizers affect the fuel efficiency of the ship and perhaps they are not utilized until the motion reaches a certain point.

Don't know if they make that much of a difference in the overall big picture as far as costs go.

This could also be just a rumour.

Phil
Old March 1st, 2005, 07:40 PM
DonD

Years ago they had to bring in the stabilizers when the water got too rough. At least that is what one crew member told us. Something about when is was VERY rough they could break off.
Old March 1st, 2005, 09:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

lol Jim, to funny. Ok, that does it, gonna wear my arm floaties all week
Old March 1st, 2005, 10:44 PM
Admiral

I was on the Sensation January 24-29 and we had the pretty normal gentle rocking for the majority of the cruise. However, our last day at sea before returning to New Orleans was pretty rough. There were cookie tossing bags taped to walls everywhere on the ship, and lots of people were getting sick and using them. There were very few people at dinner that night, because so many folks were sea sick and they had returned to their cabins. I could not believe how quiet the ship was that evening. I had to laugh as d/h and I walked down the hallways, it looked as though we had too much to drink, there was no way we could have walked in a straight line. Fortunately, my family did not succumb to motion sickness, but I really felt bad for the folks who did. Honestly if someone asked me to go on the same cruise again tomorrow, I'd do it. We had a ball, and hey it was an adventure. If you fear that you might get seasick, then be proactive, get the patch from your doctor before you leave (there was a note on the infirmary door stating that the ships doctor will no longer prescribe the patch to passengers due to side effects) or get a sea band bracelet and Bonine (this you can get from the pursers desk free as long as supplies last, I'd bring my own, just in case you hit a rough spot and they run out) and go have a great time. I have to commend the ships staff on doing such a good job keeping on top of cleaning up after all of the sick passengers. There were people cleaning up bathrooms constantly during the onslaught and there were used "bags" that were propped up in corners and odd places and the staff immediately went and disposed of them. I also heard them call a code Sierra on one of the decks, which meant that someone tossed their cookies and it needed to cleaned off the deck which they did quickly and almost invisibly. Once we entered the Mississippi it was smooth sailing. Hope that helps so you can plan your trip hopefully without getting sea sick.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have read many reviews about the 'last night', this have anything to do with the Miss River?? Seems after the ship enters the river all is fine.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:43 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to TC(Top-Cat)

Sailed Sensation in August 04. My mother has really bad vertigo which requires prescription meds. We all did fine. Even her. Very little motion and mostly smooth sailing, and were between the first two hurricanes.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:47 AM
Jim Randle

Default Re: Re: Sensation stabilizers

One quick fact that AFAIK is still true. Ships (and airplanes) have three degrees of motion. They are called Yaw (bow of the ship left to right), Pitch (bow of the ship up and down) and Roll(sides of the ship up and down). Stabilizers currently in use ONLY reduce Roll. Yaw is almost never a problem, but Pitch can also cause discomfort, as the ship rises and then slams back into the sea.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:28 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Chyna

I went on the Sensation in Dec 01 and never noticed any excessive rocking at all.

Old March 2nd, 2005, 12:48 PM
First Mate

My3dogs,

I have meds packed too but don't expect to get sick because I haven't gotten seasick either. I have gotten sick after the cruises in which my body still wanted to move and if I stayed still, the room would start spinning like I was on an all night drunk (lol) that, I don't look forward to again but my doctor gave me antivert after my first cruise for it, so thankfully I can just come home and take that if it starts, or perhaps just hurry up and book another.

Old March 2nd, 2005, 03:31 PM
Admiral

I have never been seasick, even during a rough storm in the Med many years ago. Up to this point, I have always thought that storm should have caused me cookie come-uppance if I were susceptible. Having said that, I tap my Sensation shipknack for luck, and pray she doesn't prove me wrong during this next trip.

I also pray that Chris does not read these comments. Thus far, the roughest Chris has experienced was our last sea day on "Inspiration." We were playing Scrabble with my other family members in the Library. We could feel occasional rolls and pitches, but nothing I considered major. Suddenly there was a LOUD boom, either as an oversize wave broke against the ship's side, or as the bulbous bow settled hard into a trough. In either case, it reverberated on all decks in the vicinity of the Atrium, loud enough to make some pax gasp. It was more audible than it was perceptible through motion sense. Even then, Chrisi's cookies remained where they belonged, a testament to the power of Transderm.

I don't want anything she may read to taint her expectations for another cookie kept voyage. All of our cruises have been perfect in that regard, even when we sailed through some rough spinning out from H. Isabel aboard Enchantment. I pray our luck does not run out.

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Summit 03/06 It's Margaret's fault!
Old March 2nd, 2005, 04:43 PM
Admiral

Beg to differ Jim. What I have seem from personal observation is a combo of pitch and yaw are the two worse thnigs that can happen and get you sick. It is this 'corkscrew' motion that seems to do the most people in and even someone like me who it doesn't bother much can get a little queesy in those seas. This is one of the reasons why Subs don't like to be on the surface even if they aren't trying to avoid detection, they roll, pitch and yaw like pigs. The only thing worse IMHO is doing all three. <G>
Jim

Old March 2nd, 2005, 05:03 PM
Aaron P

I'm sailing on the Sensation on March 7th, I can't wait I'm sick of the cold! My fellow passenger is prone to sea sickness, air sickness, etc. Should we be worried about sailing on the Sensation?

What is the transdermal patch you speak about? Do the wrist bands work? How about good old Dramamine?

Any reassurance/suggestions are appreciated?

Thanks,
Old March 2nd, 2005, 05:51 PM
Admiral

The patch is a drug called Scopolomine (there are a lot of potential side effects for this drug, I'd check them out with my doc). I've heard people say the wristbands work. The only problem with good old Dramamine is the active ingredient is Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) Its an antihistamine that can dehydrate you a bit, and really make you sleepy. This drug is also the active ingredient in Tylenol p.m. which is what helps you get to sleep. Bonine is a different type of drug than Dramamine. That is the vast expanse of my knowledge of motion sickness meds. I am sorry to say my poor overly saturated brain is a repository of useless information. Hope it helps though.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 06:26 PM
Aaron P

Thanks for the help Beenie weenie.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:39 PM
Admiral

Aaron, yes your friend quite probably will suffer from motion sickness. While some folks swear by the patch and the wrist bands som also swear at them. <G> It seems that many folks have good results with Bonine which is the brand name for Mesciline and that seems to work pretty well for them. I have heard that in rare cases it causes sleepiness but much less so than any of the other treatments. That would be my recommendation anyway.
Jim

Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:15 PM
hope2cruise

I came off the Sensation last Saturday after five days and never felt anything more than a gentle rocking (and still felt it through Monday!). Certainly noticeable a few times, but nothing that made me the least bit queasy. I had also heard the rumors that there were problems with the Sensation's stabilizers, but was pleasantly surprised.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 11:25 PM
Admiral

Ever wonder how freighters and Naval vessels sail without sinking, as they don't have stabilizers? How did vessels sail for centuries without stabilizers ?
Ships move on the water. That's a fact of life. They float and move up and down, side to side or any other way the water pushes them. There's always rumors aplenty about this or that ship, something wrong here, there, etc. Stabilizers HELP to control the side to side rolling of a ship. They do not ELIMINATE it, nor do they have any bearing on the pitch, or rising and falling of the front and rear of the ship.

When you hear people talking about so and so ship riding rough, it very likely was due to some rough water. Then you hear someone later saying such and such ship rides sooo smooth. Again, was probably due to the fact they were on calm seas.

Last week we were on the Coral Princess and were treated to a rare treat indeed. A tour of the bridge, along with 8 other couples while we were at sea. It was fascinating to see all the sophisticated equipment on the bridge, including a computerized screen from which they could actually monitor the stabilizers as they worked. Per the Captain, currents, the direction the swells hit the ship, the size of the swells, the wind, etc all have a bearing on the movement you may feel at times.

I would think that the '" rumors " about the Sensation are just that--- rumors.
Sail on the Sensation and enjoy.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 06:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you Ron
Old March 3rd, 2005, 08:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

As big as the Grand Princess is, it rocked a few days & rocked big time the last night we were on so yes I know there is going to be movement. Take a pill & go back to what you were doing
Old March 3rd, 2005, 12:53 PM
First Mate

Hi hopetocruise, did you have good weather on your cruise? I have noticed that the weather channels state partly cloudy and showere for Cozumel for the past week and up coming week.
Old March 4th, 2005, 01:28 PM
hope2cruise

We had great weather -- in New Orleans, at sea and in port. We were on Cozumel Thursday the 24th and had sunny skies and warm (almost hot) weather. There was a brief downpour on Wednesday the 23rd when we were in port at Calica but it passed quickly. And overnight Thursday/Friday there was a storm at sea, but after most everyone was asleep.

It was windy and chilly on the final full day as we got closer to the U.S., but otherwise, it was a real treat.