CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   CHAIR HOGS! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/202364-chair-hogs.html)

CruisegirlKim March 1st, 2005 12:45 PM

CHAIR HOGS!

What have you done in the past about a Chair Hog especially when there was no room for you to have a chair?

Has anyone ever had an argument with anyone about saving chairs that for hours on end never were filled?

BoosterMom March 1st, 2005 12:56 PM

Re: CHAIR HOGS!

Everyone's post that I've read recently and what we've done before........if a chair sits vacant for a long time, just remove the belongings, take over to the towel drop off place and leave them there. If and when someone does show up, tell them the staff removed their things and they are probably over at the towel drop off area. People will go up at 6:00 a.m. leave their book and towel and show up after lunch. That's not fair and they know it. It's different if someone in a party takes a chair and holds the one beside you say for your daughter who will be there in 30 minutes or so............but don't hold 10 chairs for 3-4 hours...............that's just rude.

525600 March 1st, 2005 01:04 PM

Re: Re: CHAIR HOGS!

on the NCL Sea a couple years ago, I couldn't find a deck chair by the pool so I sat in a regular chair till one became free. Well, two hours later, still in my "regular" chair, the deck chair that was directly in front of my chair was never sat in yet it had a towel, book and glasses laying there. I very carefully moved them onto the floor on the side of the chair and proceeded to sit down. About an HOUR later, a woman came over and under her breath said "How rude", picked up her stuff and walked away. Oh well! : )

BoosterMom March 1st, 2005 01:18 PM

Good for you! I hope "How Rude" learned her lesson!

525600 March 1st, 2005 01:20 PM

Me too!

LisaV March 1st, 2005 02:50 PM

I recently had a thought, don't know if it would do any good though - I'm an early bird, up before most chair hogs, this is where it came from. My thought was to bring some large sticky notes and a black marker and sit and eat my breakfast while the chair hogs begin. Then put the time on a sticky note and put it on the chair right after they left. This way, anyone walking by could see how long it had been vacant and act accordingly. Maybe the chair hogs might get the hint too? Would it work?? Who knows, maybe it might embarass some enough to stop, or at least get back to their chairs quicker.

Lisa

525600 March 1st, 2005 03:16 PM

That would be hysterical!

MaryLou March 1st, 2005 03:28 PM

I can see it now - little laminated signs attached to a chair - "This chair grabbed by chair hog at 7:30 a.m."!!!

bc3536 March 1st, 2005 04:19 PM

I think that would be so perrrrrfect. I am still laughing from just imagining the chair hogs' faces.

ArkJudy March 1st, 2005 04:19 PM

On our Destiny cruise, my DH and some friends with up to deck to get some sun, while I did some other indoor stuff. Several hours later, I wondered up to the deck and sat down on the edge of an empty chair next to my husband's chair, planning to just speak to him briefly, then head to lunch. The man in the next chair over, came over to me, saying, "That's not your chair, it's my sister's chair." I said, "I'm not staying, just checking in with my husband, and I'll gladly move if she gets back before we get done talking." He continued to insist that I move, finally reaching for my arm to physically move me. My DH then rose to challenge the man, and I thought they were going to fight, which I've never seem my DH do. DH went to find security, other man settles back down in chair glaring. When DH returns, I convinced him to come on to lunch. I asked him why he had become so angry, and he said the guy had said the same thing to them all morning long even as they simply bumped her chair, but she had never been in the chair all morning.

We never "fight" over chairs ... this was definitely an isolated instance, but beware of aggressive chair hogs. Chairs are not worth ruining a fabulous vacation!

BoosterMom March 1st, 2005 04:30 PM

I love the idea of the sticky notes! It could actually be a new cruise past-time. Instead of BINGO it could be CHAIRGO! I dare you to go hog a chair! LOL You know the thing that continues to amaze me..........these chairs aren't hogged by kids or teens, it's the adults!

JoannFla March 1st, 2005 05:29 PM

LISA WOW THATS AWESOME!!! Man This will be my first cruise in October and I almost am tempted to do that!!! If I get down to the chairs, and see a sea of white towels but no bodies, and theres no room for me and my man, I am going to eye up a couple of chairs, and wait about 35 minutes or so, and if no one returns I will place their belongings besides the chair and sit in it. The chairs are not RESERVED for specific people...I think its so horribly rude for people to claim a chair and leave for an hour or longer, and expect with 3,000 some odd people on board to sit on the ground or stand while waiting for them to return. Not going to happen with me. Sure would be a good idea if Carnival posted something in the rooms regarding this matter, just a reminder I dunno, like " OUR CHAIRS ARE FOR OUR GUESTS, NOT THEIR TOWELS..DO NOT CHAIR HOG"...:)
Ahhh this is going to be great!

BoosterMom March 1st, 2005 06:35 PM

Isn't there a sign posted somewhere in pool area that says "Towels do not reserve chairs"??? I seem to remember those words from somewhere. If there isn't, let's suggest Carnival do it.

venice March 1st, 2005 06:42 PM

the next step in generation of revenue on the cruise ships..the cruise ships no longers places chairs out on the pool deck. If you want one you have to "rent'" it and it will only open by a combination lock and it will be assigned to your sign and sail card if you do not return it

I just cannot believe how insensitive people can be about something that should be so easy to do, show courtesy and respect to your fellow cruisers

bigjohn461 March 1st, 2005 06:42 PM

You know? I see these posts all the time about chair hogs, and since I have only been on 2 cruises, I have never ever wittnessed this. I have been on deck at all hours of the day and night and still have not seen this deed. I did once have a small wait to get a table on the Lido(conquest) but no big deal. Hmmm go figure.

Jim Randle March 1st, 2005 06:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: CHAIR HOGS!

When I vacationed in the UK several years ago, we often saw public parking lots where the parking was free, but limited to an hour or two, depending on the local rules. To enforce this, the parking facility provided little cardboard clocks, with a clock dial that could be turned to show the time that the car was parked, and placed face up on the dash. The rules were that if you tried to cheat and set the clock ahead of the current time, the meter maid would ticket you, and if more than the allotted time had passed, based on the clock setting, you also were ticketed.

So my suggestion is to have the cruise lines have these little cardboard clocks available around the pool. If you need to leave for a few minutes, you set the clock for the current time. When someone sees a chair with clock set for more than an hour previous, the chair is fair game. And if you see a chair with clock set more than 15 minutes in the future, the chair is immediately available.

And heck, if the cruise lines will let me cruise for free, I'll put on a skirt and be the meter maid (although you won't like it)!

Georgia girl March 1st, 2005 07:06 PM

This is the same thing that happens at the swimming pools at hotels in florida. All the chairs and loungers were taken by towels, bags and junk with just a few people in the pools. Let em have the pool I just dip in the ocean more room that way.

CherieB March 1st, 2005 10:12 PM

I love the post it notes, make sure you get the neon colors :) Just slide the chairs to a diff area of the deck. Leave the towel where the chair was :) I can't believe someone would actually grab your arm to make you move, mace time LOL

David148 March 1st, 2005 11:44 PM

Good Grief.."Im going on a cruise to post notes on chairs" woo goo ME, now thats a way to spend a cruise.

On my cruise, it never bothered me. Looks like u would be trying to find something else a little more entertaining/fun to do with your time! :) my two cents..take it or leave it. :)

David.

Free Martha March 2nd, 2005 12:15 AM

"WOO GOO" ?

Is that some favroite dish of yours at the Lido Buffett?

I've not tried that dish before.

Sounds ORIENTAL!

LisaV March 2nd, 2005 08:21 AM

David - I don't think I'd ever actually do it, but it was just a thought I had recently that I thought was kinda silly and from the looks of it, others thought so too. I think everyone here realizes that more than likely things won't change, but if you could change them, how would you? Kinda like venting your frustrations to get it off your chest.

I kinda like the idea of checking out a chair like you do a towel and only one chair per person (that way, blocks of chairs couldn't be saved unless everyone got up at the crack of dawn), and the clock thing is great (though I'd give them 1/2 hour in case they had to stand in the buffet line for lunch,check on a kid at Camp Carnival, etc).

Lisa

groupof6 March 2nd, 2005 09:01 AM

David is probably a closet chair hog. Four cruises now and YES It is a real problem!

But perhaps, we should look at the issue from a sociological perspective and try to analize the interpersonal need that these individuals display to guarantee seating rights.

Naw, just throw the towels, paperbacks, sunglasses and flip-flops on the deck-After One Hour! and that`s my 2 cents.

Suzi March 2nd, 2005 09:59 AM

Don't get post it notes. Go to a stationery store, and get some note pads that are in the shape of a pig, That will make an impact. LOL

525600 March 2nd, 2005 01:05 PM

LOL - Brilliant, Suzi!

CruisinMaterial March 2nd, 2005 01:33 PM

Is this a Carnival thing? I have never encountered too much chair hogging except for on gay cruises, where they put their towels down on the chair as soon as they are redistributed once the disco on the pool deck is over shortly before sunrise. I've sailed Princess twice and not had any problems. Maybe the old people don't like sunning themselves so much?

I do love the concept of the post-it notes, if you're going to hog it, then be ashamed of yourself! :) I'm on the Carnival Destiny and can't wait to see what non-white-glove treatment is like!!!

~Jake

HappyCruiser383 March 2nd, 2005 03:25 PM

How about mixing up the books and glasses!? hee hee, I'm so evil!

What's really funny is people simply leaving their Carnival towels on the chair. How in the world do you idetintify one blue towel from the other? It's a sea of blue towels! I just move the towel onto another chair. If there is nothing to indicate life(drink glasses, suntan lotion etc) near that chair then it's mine. :)

I should call myself HappyEvilCruiser ! tisk tisk

CruisegirlKim March 2nd, 2005 04:41 PM

I think the rental idea is kinda good, or even not a fee just a you have to check out the chair to have it.

I have to say ya'll I brought it up only because I am a stresser and I do stress about it. I don't stress about anything else when it comes to the cruises just the OMG when I get enough nerve up to finally get in a swimsuit will I have a hard time finding a lounge? LOL

Ya know and if there are no chairs then I have simply just laid on the deck next to the pool or next in line with the lounges.... ONE time I had a worker say something to me and I said well then when you get a chair that someone is NOT using but say they are then I will get up and move..... needless to say you know they never returned!

chair hogs March 2nd, 2005 08:53 PM

It was my pet peeve. Was up at 7 around the pool they put one shoe on each chair.
Loved when cruised with malcon the assistant cruise director he kept telling them they could not do that and for people to remove their stuff
Husband was 1 1/2 hours sunning people came back and told him off that he was on their chair. He said their chair was beside. They appoligzed when saw there stuff but they kept talking about how people took there backback the day before. People if you are that long you deserve nothing to be left

maine matt March 3rd, 2005 12:17 AM

I had a couple of ideas that made me chuckle but first lets say, just throw their stuff on the ground, or heave that expensive towel that has to be returned over board. lol sorry that was bad.

1. sit in the chair, when they walk up to you and say " that is my chair." look around at the chair, ask their name and say nope don't see it on here.
2. sit in the chair when they come up and say "that was my seat" kindly reply yes your right it WAS your seat. muwahhhh
3. sit in the chair when they walk up and say whatever they decide to say. Politely lift your sunglasses up look at them burp, slur your words and say something about them moving because they are blocking your sun, and ruining everyones day.
4. sit in the chair when they walk up to you and say something reach over grab a post-it note write on it " To bad, finders keepers looser weapers" and hand it to them.

Note if any of these things cause an altercation of any sort throw the person over board and or make sure that you say in a tone so everyone hears but is polite " I am sorry I took your seat, that was rude of me there is no reason for you to talk to me like this. A simple please move would have been polite." That way nobody knows that you incited everything and by the time you walk away the other person will be stared at and talked about so much the seat will open back up shortly.

lol, hope this helps people. The sticky note idea was funny in the earlier posts, I just had to add a little spice.

http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown...=13&hour=16:00

wakedreams March 3rd, 2005 07:27 AM

I like the idea of switching things around ---- it would be fun to see someone come looking for "their " chair --- and have their shoes or book or suntan lotion and towel be moved 3 rows back. To much sun causes disorientation I guess.....

If I get up and on deck by 10am - I usually don't have a problem getting a chair.
If I don't get up until past noon (yea - sometimes that happens) then chairs are all gone and I am stuck in an obscure spot without a pool in sight.

oh well.....I am bringing an alarm clock this time. so I will be up before 10 and get my chair...don't worry --- I actually SIT in it ---- WHAT A CONCEPT.
Sitting in a chair? gee I thought all those deck chairs were "towel holders"

ps....if you are going to do the post it idea ---- I suggest getting the REALLY really big ones -- in obnoxious HOT pink.