Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 1st, 2005, 09:05 PM
Admiral

Default Hair Braiding on Carnival?

Does anyone know the cost of hair braiding onboard, as opposed to on any of the islands?

donna

Old March 2nd, 2005, 06:22 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Hair Braiding on Carnival?

Just a guess, but, Ill bet they could do it in the salon. It would probably cost a lot more.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have never seen anyone get braiding done on the ship. Sorry.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:04 AM
Liz Veall

I'm going on Destiny in May and was considering this too for convenience but read a review that said it absolutely ruins your hair. Does anyone know if thats true and how/why? I have quite long but fine hair.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

YES FOR SURE! I had it done many years ago and only had like 5 put in. It dries out your hair somehow.... they do it sooooo tight it is almost impossible to take out even, therfore pulling and damaging your hair.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:29 AM
BoosterMom

When I was in the salon of the Inspiration in January, there was a little girl having her hair braided. They did just what I would call "half a head". This was a little girl and I have no idea what they charged. I pulled out my price sheet from the ship and it isn't listed. A style/roller setting is "from $30.00". Color/Style "from $49.00". Trim or restyle and style dry..."from $52.00". It probably isn't cheap. I remember from years ago the cruise staff telling us not to have our child's hair braided on "the island" because of lice that get under the braider's nails and that they used the same combs on everyone. You need to watch for someone who disinfects their hands and hair tools. I've heard that it breaks your hair because it's done so tight and that it is horrible taking it out.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 11:11 AM
FLORIDA PAPER

Oh sure, i got screwed over twice on the glory week feb 19-26th--broken ship & then way overchg'd for braiding--my 12 year old got off at nssau & had it done for $30 for 1/2 the head (it's really cute) my other daughter who's 9 was unsure so we waited--nothing in feeport, no time in keywest ($45 there) so we did it in the salon...$70 & they expect a tip...above all, the people in nassau did it a 1,000 x's times better...i cannot emphasize enough to do it on an island--don't pay over $40 for 1/2 the head--they will barter--the salon will not --my 9 year olds looked awful...they put these big ugly rubber bands in (regular one's) not the pretty little ones & only a couple of beads...DO IT IN NASSAU...
Old March 2nd, 2005, 11:14 AM
Passenger

We were on the Dec. 26 sailing of the Victory. There was an employee an Lido deck everyday by the outdoor pool braiding hair. I don't know what they were charging.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 12:08 PM
katluc

Default Re: Re: Hair Braiding on Carnival?

My daughters have had it done, and yes when we unbraided it, the hair was broken, and a lot fell out. They also have fine hair.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 06:58 PM
Chanin

I had mine done in St. Marten. Get it done on one of the islands. I am an adult and had half of my head done and it cost 16 bucks. One dollar per braid. And I also tipped her 4 dollars. The lady at the one shop said to NEVER pay more than a dollar per braid as they will be more than happy to take it. I do know another lady on the ship paid 3X more for the same thing. Just walk away when they approach you. Trust me, they keep coming back. Just dicker. Make sure you take care of the price up front and DO NOT hesitate to count the braids as they will make them smaller than they need to be. Have fun!!! Chanin
Old March 2nd, 2005, 07:03 PM
Mark Mitchell

you may as well get it done on board........you might not get to an island. Thats ok....it is the cruising experience and not the ports of call.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:43 PM
sno

My daughter and I had ours done in Nassau, and they charged $2.00 per braid. Make sure, though, that the person doing your braids has a license showing, as you could be setting yourself up for head lice. I have heard many bad things about having it done in Freeport Bahamas as the women have no license, and they aren't so clean. The salon on ship charges about $175.00 more than you would on an island.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 05:51 PM
HeidiHo

I would be tempted to find a place at home to get it done before the cruise just so that when we go to the islands, they will see that we have already had it done and not keep asking us everywhere we going. It gets so tiresome.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 06:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

i did it once. i looked sooooooooo cooollllllllllllllllll till i got home and it was time to take out the braids. lolololol. i was a sight for sore eyes, what a mess, my daughter had to cut most of it out and the ends were fryed
Old March 3rd, 2005, 07:42 PM
HeidiHo

There is a trick to getiing them out. Just put conditioner on the braids and then gently work the braids out from the bottom up with a comb. Also, to avoid sunburn between the braids, use a stick type lipbalm with a high SPF. Just run it up and down between the braids. Works great and isn't messy.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 09:05 PM
ivy

My daugher had it done in nasaau but the hair was all damage , she does not want more braids ever.
Old March 4th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Passenger

I had my hair braided in St Thomas, very CUTE, $2.00 a braid. Removing them AWFUL had to cut most of them out. Wish i had known about the conditioner. I MIGHT do it again. Deb
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Liz Veall

Default Re: Re: Hair Braiding on Carnival?

Thanks everyone for all this input, I think on balance I will not get my hair braided, the majority seem to have had bad experiences. Too bad really as I'm sure it would have been convenient, but then it probably wouldn't go with the formal night attire, so I'm treating myself to a new dress instead!
Old April 6th, 2005, 04:10 PM
cbros

My daughter always gets her hair braided when we go to Cancun. We just bring our own rat tail comb along. The variability in prices is incredible. In the Cancun hotel zone, for a full head braid (my daughter has very long thick hair and gets about 120 braids) they charge $2.00 a braid. We simply take the bus downtown to the markets and they do a fabulous job that lasts for 2 weeks for $20 - $25. They usually have 4 girls braiding and it takes about 35-45 minutes. As for damage to the hair, she normally wears her's in a pony tail and that is far worse in my opinion. When removing them slather on the conditioner helps and you just start from the bottom and work your way up a braid at a time. The only downside of the braids is that its easy to get a bad scalp sunburn if your not relentless with the sunscreen.
Old April 6th, 2005, 06:52 PM
myspecialks

No, but in the Bahama's(pearl island) they wanted $40 for front on head on my 4 year old and $50 or $60(can't remember) on my 8 year old,neither of the girls wanted it..and if my little one had them put in I know for sure she would have wanted them out by days end so it would have been a waste of money!