Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2005, 05:17 PM
Aaron P

Default Motion sickness

I'm sailing on the Sensation on March 7th, I can't wait I'm sick of the cold! My fellow passenger is prone to sea sickness, air sickness, etc. Should we be worried about our cruise on the Sensation?

What is the transdermal patch you speak about?
Do the wrist bands work?
What is a Bonine?
How about good old Dramamine?

Any reassurance/suggestions are appreciated?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2005, 07:14 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Motion sickness

I used the patch last year and had bad reactions to it, I couldnt see for almost a week even AFTER I was home. It really messed with my vision ALOT - that being said afrwe I had it on a day, I got over the seasickness... but was queasy cause i couldnt see... next time out I will use the arm bands.

Have fun
Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:30 PM
Yeoman

The wife uses the non-drowsey Drammine tablets. You can pick some up at Walmart or your local drug store before you leave. Works great for her.

She needs to take a tablet before your flight, and before your cruise starts. Hopefully she'll be fine and can enjoy the flight and cruise.

Happy sailing;
david
Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:30 PM
Admiral

What is the transdermal patch you speak about? For motion sickness - worn behind the ear. Side effects are known to be drowsiness.

Do the wrist bands work? For some people they work just fine. But I think you have to *believe* they work. I personally wouldn't count on them alone.

What is a Bonine? More motion sickness med. 1 pill last 24 hours, does not cause drowiness.

How about good old Dramamine? Different formula from Bonine, but still for motion sickness. If you use it, get the non-drowsy formula.

Carnival gives out Bonine, so they must think it works best . Either that or Bonine gives it to them for free!

My son used Bonine both cruises and it works great with NO side effects. I have used it once with the same results AND had no trouble with those lovely drinks of the day, either!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:49 PM
sno

The patch everyone is talking about is a Scopalomine patch. It's a transdermal type of antihistamine worn behind the ear and is changed every 3 days. It can have side effects similar to those of oral antihistamines, which is what Dramamine is. You may feel some drowsiness and dry mouth. It does help some, and it is by prescription. Dramamine is over the counter and can be bought in any store. The ships have stabilizers on them to help prevent the motion as the ships are huge. I too am prone to motion sickness, and on top of that I have nerve damage in my face and left ear which flying now bothers. I had no problems on the ship until the very last night when we were off the coast of Miami and it was windy and the ship rocked horribly. Yes, I was on the ill fated Glory when the engine broke. Good luck.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 07:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Personally if you know you are going to get sick or are sick now I say before you even board start taking something and let over lap don't risk missing a dose.

In the past well on my first cruise ever we did the patch behind the ear and then I never did anything..... I DO though till this day bring what I call my Pharmacy with me....... I have one box of full on knock you out motion pills, then a non drowsy, then a new bottle of Pepto and then the CURE ALL I tell everyone to buy and bring, EMETROL.

If you drink too much, have the flu, eat to much, have motion sickness this one bottle CURES IT ALL!
Old March 3rd, 2005, 08:13 AM
Admiral

Aaron - this is my approach- if you or your friend get SEVERE motion sickness when you fly or drive its really a good idea to talk to your doctor about the patch.
If you get moderate queezies then you can try either the SeaBand or non-drowsy Bonine - EITHER ONE OR THE OTHER - DO NOT USE BOTH
If you get mild queezies then try the ginger remedy (this works best for me) You can get ginger capsules or you can eat ginger cookies/candy or sip on a glass of gingerale(especially the first day or two- this is my remedy- i do it as a preventative measure.)
You can take Bonine as needed, some people swear by the preventative measure for this medicine but why take it if you don't need it, the key is to take it at the FIRST sign of the queezies.
The ships have wonderful stabalizers and chances are you won't need any medication, but have something just in case.
More tips : Keep some carbs in your stomach ( Bread, rolls, crackers, plain pasta) work best . Get outside into the fresh air and do something physical - go for a walk, go for a swim.
THE WORST THING you can do when you feel that queezy feeling is to go to your stateroom and lie down, this will only make things worse.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 11:14 AM
Mark Mitchell

Just go for a cruise on the Carnival Glory. Its not very rough at all so close to the Florida Coast.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 01:03 PM
sls

Whenever I take a cruise that originates in the Gulf of Mexico/Mississippi River I end up with motion sickness. This last cruise I took Bonine the first night before bed and then every night after and was fine. Still had the ocassional glass of wine or foo foo drink with no side effects.

sls
Old March 3rd, 2005, 02:18 PM
DENISE H

bonnies works great its just a little you take 30 minues before you get on a plane , boat any thing motiom sickness and you can by them in any drug store they dont' cost very much
Old March 3rd, 2005, 04:33 PM
bjkeen

I have only been motion sick twice and believe me it was more than enough.

I use Bonine too. Some people say Dramamine makes them sleep (like me) some say Bonine makes them sleep (I don't have a problem with it).

I have heard people say that the wrist bands help. Never used one but contemplating using one on the next cruise.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 05:10 PM
sunnymom02

Lisa K- Why can't you use the wristband and the Bonine? Isn't the wristband thing just a pressure point thing and not putting meds into your system? Or do they put meds in your system and then you would be getting too much meds? Please let me know.

Sunnymom02
Carnival Conquest 4/3/2005
Old March 3rd, 2005, 05:28 PM
Kimmi

I've tried the patch, the wrist bands and Dramamine. Didn't like the patch. Wristbands DID NOT work. Loved the less drowsy Dramamine. Anytime I go, I pick up Dramamine. I took one every morning and NEVER had a problem.

Good Luck!
Old March 3rd, 2005, 06:32 PM
BoosterMom

I switched from Regular Dramamine to Less Drowsy Dramamine. Two different comounds. Less Drowsy is the same as Bonine. Generic name for these two is Meclizine. Can be purchased OTC, but you have to ask your pharamacist. I got a bottle of 100 for $3.74. It is chewable but can be chewed or swallowed whole. Scored if you want to take half. We did 1/2 in a.m. 1/2 in pm and another in pm if there was a lot of movement on the ship. None of our family (4) has ever gotten sick. Start taking one day prior to sailing and two days after to combat that swaying you might continue to have after you get off the ship.