CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (
-   -   Non U.S Citizens?? (

Jaanu0912 May 31st, 2005 09:23 AM

Non U.S Citizens??

My friend has her passport from her country of origin and the iimigration has stamped her passport in place of her greencard. She has not recieved the greencard in the mail yet.
Will she be ok with the offical stamp? Has any1 ever done this?


beenie weenie May 31st, 2005 09:48 AM

Re: Non U.S Citizens??
Your friend has to go to the Immigration office and get a card (I think it is called an I-94)that will allow her to leave and re-enter the country. If she does not have that card, she will not be allowed to enter the U.S. and will have to be parolled back in to the country. (I would not wish this process on my worst enemy, It can be very time consuming and expensive, and there is no guarantee they will allow you to come back.)
She will need to go to the INS very early in the morning and get in line with all of her documentation. I think there is a charge for this card (can't remember how much) it will take the better part of the day (at least it does in Chicago, and they only serve a set number of people every day and if you get there too late, you're basically out of luck and have to come back another day). I hope that helps and that she is able to go on the cruise.

Jaanu0912 May 31st, 2005 11:02 AM

Re: Non U.S Citizens??
well i herad immigration is familair with the official stamp snice its approved and they told her she would be able to travel with no i am confused

beenie weenie May 31st, 2005 02:05 PM

Re: Non U.S Citizens??
Our experiences we're prior to Sept. 11, 2001, so it is possible that things have changed, However, I know that My d/h could not leave the country prior to getting his actual green card without the I-94 card.even though he had a stamp in his passport and authorization to work in the U.S.
If I were your friend, I would definitely check it out as soon as possible and ask the INS specifically if she needs an advanced parole prior to leaving on her cruise or if what she currently holds is sufficient. If I remember correctly, It took at least a year to get his green card after approval and we had to go up to Chicago for authorization to leave the U.S. and re-enter before he could leave the country.

mamadee May 31st, 2005 02:12 PM

Re: Non U.S Citizens??
You have to have your green card to get back into the USA!!
The passport is just for other countries to enter but to get back into the USA you will need your green card. At departure on the cruise line Immigration took my green card (and other non us citizens)and held it--hostage--- until I had to go through INS on the ship before docking and they had everyone's green card in a index file box. We received the green card as we were process with a declaration form ---what are you bringing back ect...
I can travel anywhere ...I have my passport...BUT TO GET BACK IN THE USA YOU GOT TO HAVE THE ALIEN REGISTRATION ---green card.

Jaanu0912 May 31st, 2005 02:31 PM

Re: Non U.S Citizens??
oh man
thanks you guys did help
we are hearing so many different things
i guess she needs to have the green card

beenie weenie May 31st, 2005 02:38 PM

Re: Non U.S Citizens??
I know we left and re-entered the U.S. several times prior to having his green card, however we did have to get the advanced parole on what I am pretty sure was his I-94 card. All I know is if we had left the U.S. without it or his green card, he would not have been permitted to re-enter. So check it out and let us know what you find out. Better safe than sorry. Its not worth taking the chance. I know what we had to go through to get the green card and it is best not to jeopardize it.

Jim Bragg May 31st, 2005 02:53 PM

Re: Non U.S Citizens??
I do not think you need a "green card" just to enter the USA. I have a number of friends that work for the cruiselines that often come in and leave the country with just their passports. Now in order to STAY in the USA they need some sort of card or visa or deferment paper that is good for 6 months or a year. If your friends passport has the entry stamp longer than the time allowed without a visa or deferment then she does need something else I believe. The very best thing to do is to have her go or call the immigration folks and get the infromation first-hand from them explaining why she needs this info and what she is doing etc. Much too important to just rely on what we say here. All we can do here is tell you what "we" have seen or experianced in the past.

Jaanu0912 May 31st, 2005 03:04 PM

Re: Non U.S Citizens??
ok u wont believe it
she got the green card right now
but the mispelled one letter of her name they put sally instead of sali
gosh this is so annoying
i am assuming she needs both green card and passport

beenie weenie May 31st, 2005 09:38 PM

Re: Non U.S Citizens??
She will need her Green Card and passport. I know Carnival holds both until the end of the cruise (they will give her a reciept) and then returns them on the last morning of your cruise.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:28 PM.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1