Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2005, 12:23 PM
Kimmi

Default Chair Hog Question

Hopefully no one gets upset with me for asking this.

I've been reading about the "chair hogs". I'm an early riser. I plan on making a couple of spa appts. for early in the morning. Would it be all that bad for me to go on deck and drop my towel off on a chair before my appt? I'm not the type to leave a towel on the chair and not come back for several hours, but to hold a chair for an hour while I eat or have a massage isn't that bad, is it??
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2005, 12:30 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Chair Hog Question

I think it depends on the time of day you're talking about. If it's early in the day (as you're talking about) when there are plenty of other chairs available, I don't see it as a problem. If it's in the middle of the afternoon when there are no empty chairs anywhere, then it's bound to be more a problem for a lot of people looking for chairs.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 02:37 PM
Kimmi

Well, lets say I go out there at 8 am and get a chair. I stay and I tan all morning. Then at noon I'm ready for lunch. Is it rude for me to leave my towel and save my chair while I go get lunch? I mean, I'm not trying to be an idiot here and I understand what people have said about those who go out, save chairs for a couple hours, go do other things and come back half way through the day..but what is considered ok and what isn't. I don't want to be considered a chair hog and on the other hand, if I'm the one out there looking for a chair how long do I let one go empty before I sit down?
Old March 3rd, 2005, 02:39 PM
First Mate

I would go grab some food and bring it back to your chair with you. However I don't think it's unreasonable to go eat and then come back in a timely fashion. I mean we're human aren't we?

Carnival Destiny 3-9-97
Carnival Sensation 3-14-98
Carnival Imagination 3-13-99
Carnival Spirit 3-8-03
Carnival Valor 3-20-05
Carnival Fantasy 9-1-05
Carnival Liberty 1-7-06
Carnival Legend 8-16-06
Carnival Miracle 5-16-09
Carnival Splendor 5-17-13

Carnival Sunshine
Old March 3rd, 2005, 02:45 PM
Kimmi

Ok. I pride myself on being respectful of others and would not want to be rude if I save my chair for a short time.

Thanks for your input
Old March 3rd, 2005, 04:00 PM
Familiar Face

We were on the Triumph a couple weeks ago and there were signs about deck chair saving yet people still did it.
Remember, the blue Carnival towels will cost you $22.00 each if you lose them so I would use something else to 'hold' a chair.

In the limited amount of time that we sat out we witnessed many people move items that had been sitting on chairs for any amount of time.

After an hour or so there was a nice size pile of assorted towels on the end of the row!

Also remember that the towels and deck chairs belong to Carnival so they are 'fair game' to anyone..........
Old March 3rd, 2005, 04:25 PM
Yeoman

Anything over an hour is chair hogging.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 04:29 PM
Kimmi

So leaving your chair unattended for less than an hour would be ok?

Thanks!
Old March 3rd, 2005, 04:34 PM
Ted1948

Hi Kimmi
I was on the Glory in January and there were always deck chairs available somewhere.----See you on the Legend.------In a few days , OH boy I can't wait.-------Ted
Old March 3rd, 2005, 04:47 PM
Kimmi

Me too! I've been counting down the days.......
Old March 3rd, 2005, 07:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

If there are PLENTY of chairs, why save??????? Is the sun better on the left side than the right side of the ship? I say pack it all up, take it with you, find another chair when (or if) you decide to come back. I could tan for an hr an be done before you get done with your spa. If you are an early riser, should be plenty of chairs available after the spa. When we were on the Princess, we walked around an around trying to find a chair that didn't have a towel on it.......... RUDE!!!
Old March 4th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Personally I think more than just grabbing lunch and coming back is too long to have your saved IF there is a high demand of chairs that day. I have seen people get up go gamble, go take a nap etc.

I have found with the longer cruises the chair issue is less than the little 3 night ones.
Old March 4th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to windycitykitty

Is finding a chair hard? Im on the Legend and Im not an early riser, Im more of a sleep till noon kind of gal.though I hope to wake up earlier, I want to be close to the pool if possible. And yes if there is no where else to sit I may grab a chair and move a towel if the chair is unused for a long period of time and there is no where else to sit. If I leave any belongings on a chair any chance they could get stolen? Just stuff like sun block, book, or my own beach towel.
Old March 4th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Passenger

We were on the Victory in December. Finding a chair anytime after lunch was extremely difficult. There were a few empty chairs avaialble in more undesirable locations - in the shade, the windiest part of the ship, etc. Any chair near a spot of sun was always taken (sometimes by actual people, sometimes by stuff with no one in sight.) I would be concerned about my stuff getting stolen or moved if I left it on a chair for any length of time.
Old March 5th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to windycitykitty

Wow, you would think with the size of these ships there would be more then enough chairs for everyone. Guess I will really have to try to wake up early. What time do most people get on deck? On my first Carnival I don't recall any problem, I know the chairs that were not by the pool were usually availible. Pool side may be a problem.
Old March 10th, 2005, 08:01 PM
CherieS

This was also a problem on Princess, not just Carnival. Some people like myself has learned my lesson about tanning so I don't tan but maybe an hr. I could tan and be done before anyone shows up to use a chair. Yes these people are up at 4 am lol putting out towels. My first cruise I left the articles on the chairs, I won't this time, I need a chair more than that towel does.
Old March 13th, 2005, 08:02 AM
spike

On the Valor two weeks ago. Staff swept thru the pool area, and picked up towels ect left on pool side chairs for several hours. People returning after 2 to 3 hours went nutty. An officer told them their belongings were sent to the purser office. There has to be a better way! Maybe people could become a little less selfish. How long can you sit in the sun? I was baked after one to two hours!!
Old March 13th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Phil & Liz

I applaud the staff on the Valor. This nees to be done more often.

I wonder if I could put my stuff at the door to the gangway-just in front of the photographer-so that I can be first to board !

10/24/2004 Elation

4/24/2003 Jubilee
Old March 13th, 2005, 12:53 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Chair Hog Question

In some respects this pretty much sums up the issue--human nature will never be predictable. On my Valor trip in January, I was surprised to learn there are NO towels available on deck. You are supplied a towel in your cabin and you are responsible for it . Leave it on a chair on deck, loose it and you pay for it at the end of the cruise when your cabin steward can't account for it at the end of the week it goes on your S&S card. Making the individual responsible for their towel is an attempt by Carnival to stop chair hogging. Yet, it still happens. I overheard one guy who had forgotten where he left his towel brag about 'lifting' a replacement one from a room steward's house keeping cart. I saw a different attempt to control chair saving on a Norwegian cruise. They placed a towel on each chair every morning; opened and laced in between the webbing of the chair--very straight, neat and clean. If you saw a chair like that it was fair game to claim. The idea being that when someone sat on it they would move or pull the towel ends out of the webbing. I don't know how well this worked for them. Perhaps someone else knows how well this method worked for Norwegian. I would think if you're not using the chair don't treat it like an open locker. If you're just making a quick bathroom run, getting a drink or getting in the pool ask a friend or someone on a nearby chair to keep an eye on your stuff, that you're close. I find people like to be friendly helpful.
Old March 13th, 2005, 12:58 PM
sno

I find that if the towel is left on the chair for well over an hour to be chair hogging, but if you save your chair for a quick appt, come back, no big deal. The deck fills up quick on sea days, so if you want lunch, just go, get your food, and bring it back with you.
Old March 13th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the Vision and they have really cozy chaises in the solaruim, so it is warm and really relaxing, so much so that people spent the day napping, reading and eating, they only had to leave for potty breaks. after the first day when guests realized that this was the spot to be there was never an available seat. we tried all week to get one of the chaises but it never happened after the first day. I thought that it was kind of selfish to spend 8 to 10 hours in the chaises, I would have been so happy with one.
Kristine
Old March 14th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Wes

the real problem is people who try to save chair for everyone in their groups and then those people never show up...or people who save chairs for their rowdy brats who are too hyper to ever sit in a chair... i think carnival should take one of their MANY deck drink servers and assign them to keep track of the chairs with numbers or something....WAIT A MINUTE!!!! THEY CAN RENT CHAIRS!!!! for a super tanning experience similar to paying extra for a fine dining experience at one of their supper clubs.... I'm a real genius...i hope this post does not get deleted
Old March 15th, 2005, 01:11 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Chair Hog Question

, I hope this never gets deleted too. If I have to pay a chair rental fee {like they charge at The Orient Beach on St. Marteen} for a Carnival chair I'm sending you the bill, Wes!!!
Old March 15th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think a better idea would be to be able to pay to hold a chair for a half hour or less (I think an hour is too long to hold a chair). You pay to have a timer strap to stretch across the chair so it's somehow unusable while it's on. If 30 minutes goes by and the meter's not fed, it pops open and anyone can take it off and use the chair.
Old March 15th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think a better idea would be to be able to pay to hold a chair for a half hour or less (I think an hour is too long to hold a chair). You pay to have a timer strap to stretch across the chair so it's somehow unusable while it's on. If 30 minutes goes by and the meter's not fed, it pops open and anyone can take it off and use the chair. Frankly, I think the only reason to save a chair is to go to the bathroom, run back to the cabin for something you forgot or grab something to eat to take back to the chair. Any other time, the person going to do "one quick thing" will get sidetracked into doing something else that makes them get back to the chair much later than they had originally intended and that's not fair to the person having to sit in a crummier place instead. I've had to cram myself into tight spots where I had to crawl over other chairs to get in my chair, then the wind picked up emptied chairs and they almost hit me.

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Fascination: June 2004
Carnival Triumph: Halloween 2003
Old March 15th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Reminds me of a grocery store........ put a quarter in to unlock the shopping cart, lock the cart back up, it spits your quarter back out LLLL
Old March 15th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Admiral

CheriB, where do you shop? I've never had to "pay" for a shopping cart!!

On our last cruise, I was sitting and talking with another lady. I went in the pool and when I returned, her belongings were still on the lounge chair. I looked around and she was in the shade reading a book!!! I couldn't believe it!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 15th, 2005, 10:08 PM
wes

In Spain you have to put a "quarter" to borrow a cart...then you get it back when it you return it...if I was homeless, 25 cents wouldn't be bad for rent
Old March 15th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

honest, there is a grocery store chain that makes you put a quarter in a box on the cart to unlock it, when you return the cart, you get your quarter back. I know the stores are in OH WV KY TN You won't find these buggies along the sides of the road, people want their quarter back LLLL Oh you have to pay for your bags also or take your own LLLLLL