Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Passenger

Default Drinking age on Carnival Destiny

My family and I are leaving out of San Juan aboard the Carnival Destiny this June. I am only 20 years old and am aware that the age onboard all Carnival ships to drink is 21. Ive been onboard RCCL ships before and have been able to drink wine at dinner or a beer at the bar. I wanted to see if anyone has any insight if I can enjoy a glass of wine with dinner or not. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Drinking age on Carnival Destiny

ALWAYS 21 rule.

I have seen in the past people get carded when they looked younger than normal.

ON the other hand too I drank up a storm on a few cruises before I was 21.
Old March 4th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Jill J

Default Re: Re: Drinking age on Carnival Destiny

Princess has a policy that minors may purchace alcohol if traveling with their parents and after parents sign a concent form. Not sure if Carnival has this or not?
Old March 4th, 2005, 05:03 PM
BoosterMom

I'm glad you asked this question and hope someone answers. We will be traveling with our girls 21 and 20 this summer. They have wine with us at home and I would feel it appropriate for the 20 yo to have wine on the ship. Anyone out there who can answer this?
Old March 4th, 2005, 05:12 PM
cali-croozer

21 on Carnival.
Old March 4th, 2005, 06:19 PM
sls

I'm sure if Mom or Dad buys the wine at dinner the waiter will fill the glasses. They won't sell to anyone under 21.
Old March 4th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Aly612

Does princess allow you to drink wine with dinner if you are 20 years of age? Any info on this subject? Thanks!
Old March 4th, 2005, 07:54 PM
CruisinMaterial

I was patient on drinking! I'm 23 now and it's no more fun trying to get alcohol, it's perfectly legal for me! :-) As for the drinking age, most, if not all cruise lines I've been on are 21 plus for PURCHASING alcohol. I went on a Princess cruise in 2001, when I was 19 and consumed alcoholic beverages my mom bought for me. They really don't care what the age is of the consumer, they care about the purchaser. If the parents buy it in the presence of the kids, the cruise line deems you responsible for their behaviors.

, no don't think less of her, I was in Canada almost every weekend and it was my graduation present (the cruise that is)!!!
Old March 4th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Aly612

My boyfriend and i are going our first cruise in may on princess. He's 23 and i am 20
( i will be 21 not even a month after the cruise), but this was the only time i could use my vacation time from work. If we were at dinner and he ordered 2 drinks and handed me one, would the waiter allow this?
Old March 4th, 2005, 10:06 PM
BoosterMom

I think you've got more to worry about that the drinking age. You can't stay in a cabin if you are under 25. You'd better check on this.
Old March 5th, 2005, 07:49 AM
CruisinMaterial

Hey Aly,

There wouldn't be any comments on the passing of the drink so long as the person who ordered it was of age. As for the age of your couple, if you're not married, I'd definitely check with your travel agent for the minimum sailing age for someone considered a "minor" as yourself would be in the eyes of Carnival and how old the responsible guardian, ie your boyfriend, has to be! Don't want to get to the pier and be denied boarding and lose out because of the quirk you didn't know about.
~Jake
Old March 5th, 2005, 10:33 AM
bjkeen

The drinking age is 21 and the employees do varify your age with your sail-n-sign card. That doesn't stop some under age people from drinking.
Old March 5th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Mark Mitchell

If it is a male bartender. The age is 21 for guys and for girls it depends on the bathing suit.
Old March 5th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Ciaran

Not all cruise lines verify with your card. I cruised with my family and a friends family. We all met together at 5:00 everyday in the crows nest where I was allowed a drink or two. The server got to know me and I could go back later and he would sell me drinks if I just told him my room #. This was on Holland America.

(Note: I wasn't hiding anything from my parents. The drink charges were on my dad's bill.)
Old March 5th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Jim Randle

Uh, Boostermom, Princess's cruise contract says

"5. AGE REQUIREMENTS; DRINKING AGE; GAMING AGE; ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES.
The minimum passenger age is 6 months on Alaska, Canada/New England, Caribbean, Europe, Mexico and Transcanal cruises, and 12 months on all other cruises. Passengers under the age of 18 years must be accompanied by a Passenger over the age of 21."

But as far as having an over 21 purchaser, and and under 21 consumer, Princess says

"No alcohol may be purchased or consumed by any Passengers under the age of 21."
Old March 5th, 2005, 06:49 PM
BoosterMom

I was talking about Carnival's policies, not Princess. I have never sailed Princess and would have no validation to speak on their policies. All I know is what we have dealt with on Carnival. I think Mike M on another site did post the information you just provided. I'm sure you're correct, it's just that I wasn't talking about the Princess line. I was actually responding to that person's post that was also on another site. Didn't mean to add to any confusion............
Old March 6th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Jill J

Didn't mean to offend you by giving you details on Princess' policy. Just thought that it might be helpful since Carnival owns Princess and perhaps their policies were the same.
Old March 6th, 2005, 11:16 AM
BoosterMom

Jill J:

No worries..............I WISH Carnival's policies were the same as Princess. It would solve a lot of problems for us with a 21 and 20 year old. Would solve the ordering drinks problem and the rule about staying in a cabin together. Would love to put them on a lower floor maybe with a OV room, but because of their ages, they have to stay across hall from us. One daughter is somewhat claustrophobic so I wish she had a window. If they just all have the same policies, we wouldn't have such issues would we?
Old March 6th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Jim Randle

Boostermom, when you posted "I think you've got more to worry about that the drinking age. You can't stay in a cabin if you are under 25. You'd better check on this." It appeared to me that you were responding to Aly612, who stated that they were cruising on Princess. That is why I posted the clarification pointer to Princess's policies. I did this simply to reassure Aly612 that her cruising under 21 was not in violation of Princess's policy.

You are correct that even though CCL and Princess, et. al. are all owned by Carnival Corporation, each line sets its own rules, and they sometimes differ.