Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 6th, 2005, 10:01 AM
su-z-q

Default Handicapped excursions

Need everyone's help. Our family is cruising on the Conquest in April. There are 7 family members going. My husband is handicapped and bed/wheelchair bound. I have been trying to set up some excursions, but it is difficult. All of the excursions do not specify whether or not they can accomodate the handicapped. I know he would enjoy the dolphin swim, as I heard the dolphins are very gentle. I've contacted one of the catamarian Sun, Sail & Snorkel Parties in Cozumel and they can assist with our needs. He may not be able to get in the water, but that's kinda' what I'm looking for. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, DJ
Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default Re: Handicapped excursions

Hi - can he get up any? My dad walks around - but has a wheelchair - can stand so we can fold it. We went on the conquest and took him to Chankaubab park in Cozumel. He LOVES just sitting there watching everyone. His granddaughter swam with the dolphins - and no, it is not something he would be able to do because you have to climb in and out the water. You are able to use a wheelchair and get around the park tho. Let us know if he can get out the chair for any length of time. I'm glad your bringing him! He will enjoy it! cheryl
Old March 6th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Su-z-q

Default Re: Re: Handicapped excursions

Thanks for your advise. He is 54 years old and had a brain tumor removed 4 years ago (on his birthday) and is paralyzed on his right side. He can feel and stand on his left foot, but has no real function in it. We do get him up from his bed and pivot him to his wheelchair. He loves animals and nature. We have a home on the water in New Orleans East overlooking the Rigolets. A beautiful view. He is able to move about on the porch and see the large boats passing by and see our neighbors. I know he would love to be able to get in the water (with our help, of course) and pet the dolphins. I may try to contact the park, as our grown children would like to "Swim with the Dolphins" and experience this adventure with their father. We really weren't planning to see the entire park, due to time constraints. In our past adventures here around our home, we have been able to place him in the water with us. I was wondering if the park would allow us to wheel him up, lower him out of his chair to the platform and gently guide him into the water? Well, maybe we're just hoping. Thanks for your help. Susan
Old March 6th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Hi Sue,

It would be nice if you father could get in the water, but if not, I'm sure he would still enjoy watching these beautiful creatures swim around.

Here is the # to the Special Requirements Office at Carnival. Not sure if they can help with you with your question, but it's worth a try.

800/438-6744 ext 70025

Enjoy!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old March 6th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default Re: Re: Handicapped excursions

Hey -- I'm from New Orleans -- but live 2 hours away now. Moving my dad out of the big city this month to be my neighbor. Live(d) on the West Bank- Anyway -- I would definitely call the park and see no reason why with your help, your childrens help - it couldn't be possible! If not, perhaps you can hit a beach where he actually can sit on the sand/water?? I admire you - I know its hard! Let us know how it works out.
cheryl
Old March 7th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Su-z-q

Cheryl,

Thanks neighbor for your suggestions. Hope to enjoy the trip!

Susan