Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2005, 12:12 AM
pag

Default publicity for Carnival Glory cruise 2/19-2/26

Well, after having spoken to a Carnival rep, and being told that foks will have a credit of $150 per person in their party to be applied to their sail and sign account on the NEXT cruise, I was upset. What about those who won't be cruising again? There were some families that cruised for the first time, and won't be able to afford another one for at least 19 years or so, and older couples who may not travel again because of limited incomes themselves. Actually, we don't make out at all. Carnival makes out well in this so called settlememt. We figured that the credits total $800,00 and out of that, half my not get used. I sent emails to my local tv station, and to Inside Edition. I also emailed the CEO of Carnival again.I've been emailing him weekly since we got back. Of course, I have not received a reply, as I'm realizing he's an ignorant man. Either that, he's deleting them before he reads them, or his secretary has been instructed to delete them. I'll keep emailing and calling until this is straight. For those on the cruise from 2/19-2/26, don't give up. Keep fighting, and email anyone you can think of in the communications business. Together, we can win this fight
Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2005, 02:39 AM
Don Smith

Default Re: publicity for Carnival Glory cruise 2/19-2/26

In this post and an earlier one, you have called the CEO of Carnival "ignorant" and openly stated you would take your cruise business to another cruise line. What makes you think that this approach will be effective in gaining more returns from Carnival for the problem on the cruise in question? If I were Carnival I would blacklist you from cruising Carnival again.

Do you really believe people are investing their "life savings" in one cruise before death?" I had to save up for 19 years"...you must have a better mantra than that.
Old March 10th, 2005, 07:51 AM
bigstem

Yes, people do invest alot of money in a vacation like this. Me personally we have five children. Our retirement fund took a heck of a hit for this trip. But we figured that it was more important to spend time with the family and give the kids a vacation of a life time, one they may never be able to take again. We will not stop until we get the satisfaction we believe we deserve. We will not resort to name calling or board bashing. We are very down to earth people who believe that we should get what we paid for. We have yet to see any letter from Carnival, but if this is true, $150 on board credit !?!, well, the first slap in the face hurt but let me turn my other cheek......
Old March 10th, 2005, 08:13 AM
bigstem

This is why my letter to Carnival went certified with a signature required.
By the way, my grandparents saved up money for their retirement but decided to take a huge chunk to go cruise Hawaii for ten days. Two months later my grandfather passed away. Yes it does happen Don.
Old March 10th, 2005, 08:14 AM
First Mate

I keep emailing Selma Hayek, but I get no response from her. How rude and ignorant of her. Not even one of her assistants has gotten in touch with me.

Carnival Destiny 3-9-97
Carnival Sensation 3-14-98
Carnival Imagination 3-13-99
Carnival Spirit 3-8-03
Carnival Valor 3-20-05
Carnival Fantasy 9-1-05
Carnival Liberty 1-7-06
Carnival Legend 8-16-06
Carnival Miracle 5-16-09
Carnival Splendor 5-17-13

Carnival Sunshine
Old March 10th, 2005, 10:40 AM
FRUSTRATED

well, i agree with you so you're not alone...me & my husband took our 4 kids; it cost us $8,050.00 before we even left the house--it's alot of money--we usual take much smaller vacations; much simpler--but honestly, after the 9/11 incident i really felt life is way too short & decided we would take this beautiful long awaited cruise now rather than later as later may never be...we didn't just pull $8,050.00 out of our wallets, we saved & saved & charged where needed--we are not wealthy people & will not be able to do this again anytime in the near future--the shipboard credit does me little good also as i can't afford to get us all on the ship again anyway...i have requested a discounted trip from them in addtn to the shipboard credit--the shipboard credit is for the "sorry for the inconvenience" & the discounted future cruise is the money i lost going to the bahamas rather than st thomas & st maarten...don't feel alone, i'm not giving up either,,,
Old March 10th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Don Smith

I am shocked that so many of you feel as if you are/ have spent a chunk of your life's savings to take the cruise. I do understand that after 911 we are doing things differently than prior to it, and thats a good thing. I must be doing better than most.

I do know that calling me ignorant would not help any case I was trying to reach a resolution about. There are better words to use.
Old March 10th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Mark Mitchell

I told my wife that she could use all of the credits from the Florida Coastal Drift to go on another cruise all by herelf since we could not afford to take the family.It sucks that the $150.00 is a cocktail credit or you could use it to buy some "gold by the inch" but not actual sailing time. In short we cant afford to send her on a full price cruise with cheap drinks. Carnival.........shame ,shame,shame.apparently we have different values.
Mark from Maine.
Old March 10th, 2005, 11:39 PM
Admiral

( A ) I thought Mark from Maine swore off posting on this dead horse subject
and was going to better spend his time going door to door alerting folks in Maine about Carnival. Apparently he must have had doors shut in his face as he keeps beating the horse.

( B ) How would you like to be the co-workers and friends of some of these people and have to hear this story over and over and over and over and over and over.

( C ) I have e-mailed Bob Dickson several times to let him know how wonderful all my 17 Carnival cruises have been and that I am now booked on the new ship Liberty for Nov.-05. I am soooo frustated that Bob hasn't e-mailed me back to congratulate me.

( D ) Before calling anyone ignorant, some folks should take a long, honest look in the mirror and see what's looking back at them. A vacation that didn't go as planned due to mechanical problems has apparently consumed some of these folks and their lives are forever changed.
Old March 11th, 2005, 12:03 AM
pag

This message goes to all who feel as though I'm bashing Mr. Dickinson for not returning my emails. Firstly, I did have positive things to say about Carnival, as this was my third cruise with them. My frustration is that the $150 per person is going towards a FUTURE cruise with Carnival. Not one person will receive any immediate credit. For those who took 5 children, those who are elderly, and won't be able to go on a cruise again, those who won't be able to afford a cruise for many years, Carnival makes out in the deal. Think about it. For my family, that's $600 compensation. I know that I won't be able to cruise with ANY cruiseline for some time, so Carnival gets to keep the "compensation" that is being offered. And, for those who are critical of my comment of Mr. Dickinson being "ignorant", wake up and realize that my emails to him are requests for compensation, and requests to find out what Carnival plans to do. Also, for those who weren't on the cruise, the mechanical problems were known to the ship's staff before the ship left Port Canaveral, and the shore excursions for St Thomas were changed before the announcement came that the itinerary was changed. So, with passengers and crew, a ship with mechanical problems was sent out on a cruise anyway. Tell me, Bob, Ron, Jocko, would you knowingly put people in your vehicles if you had serious mechanincal problems? I work in the service industry, as well as my wife. If either one of us ignored a phone call, email, or any other form of correspondance, our supervisors would have an issue with that. All I ask is for some kind of response to my requests for information. It's not too much to ask. Evidently, Bob, Ron, and Jocko believe it is.
Old March 11th, 2005, 12:25 AM
Passenger

Well,
I am with all of you Carnival 2/19 people. I too will not be able to cruise any time in the near future. We spent over $6000 for 4 of us. Not all of us can afford to cruise as much as the other people in this thread have. I think it is funny that they are so quick to find fault with all of us for being upset. What comes around goes around and someday they too will have something like this happen to them and then we'll see who's sarcastic and how humerous it seems to them.

I just think that we should be compensated monetarily. We had the equivalent of a 3 or 4 day Bahamas Cruise. Why not charge us for that and refund us the balance??? Yes we were on the ship for 7 days, but I don't call being stopped out in the ocean somewhere in between Key West and Port Canaveral cruising. Carnival has not handled this well and they need to step up to the plate.
Old March 11th, 2005, 04:26 AM
Don Smith

Lori C, I do not find fault with anyone being upset. I do, however, see most of the carping expressed on this forum as immature and childlike. You are a perfect example. I took a 3 or a 4 day cruise that lasted 7 days...DID YOU FAST FOR 3 DAYS OF THIS SITTING IN THE WATER OR DID YOU EAT? Adults tell the truth. They do not attempt to sway people to their side by changing the facts in the story.

I hope you have some Kleenex.
Old March 11th, 2005, 04:38 AM
Passenger

Don,
Just to clear things up: what I said was that it was the EQUIVALENT of a 3 or 4 day cruise to the Bahamas. Basically we went nowhere else. If there is a mechanical problem with Carnival's ship, it is Carnival's issue. I've said it before: If you hired my limo to take you to a nice fancy dinner and a broadway show and it broke down and I got it going at 20 mph and took you to McDonald's and the movie theatre and gave you $20 to spend only at the movie theatre would that be ok with you??? Absolutley not!!! If it were weather related, I would understand. It is their ship and they are responsible to keep it working safely and to hold up there end of the contract.

And by the way if you are so bothered by us, read another thread...
Old March 11th, 2005, 05:05 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

Oh Lord. Is this still alive?

Am I correct in reading some people comparing the Glory cruise to a Bahamas cruise, like on one of those psuedo crappy ships?

How much of your fare went to your stops? Other than your port charges, none. Did you think you were paying money towards these places? NO.

I have paid fares on cruises to the Bahamas, and to the Southern Carribean and Hawaii. Interesting that my Bahama cruise was the most expensive of those particular three. All on the same line.

You paid for a cruise. 7 days. All onboard activities. Food. Shows. Room and Board.

You posted and got the advice from some people that did and did not have this happen to. Some said expect nothing, yet others said to write to Carnival and express your disappointment. As others have said, in the fine print, they don't guarantee the ports of call, for lots of reasons. Others were on the same sailing and had and posted they had a good time.

But, if any of them said something YOU didn't like, some of you turned on them.

The majority of your fellow cruisers don't post on any message board.

We have read that you got an onboard credit of $100, and wanted more. Then post-cruise, some were offered $150 pp toward a future cruise, also in an onboard credit, yet you want more. Or expressed you could/wouldn't use it. Hey, that's your choice....

And to the poster that spent 8000 for 4, I hope you got at least an owners suite for that price. Or, you really got ripped off.

Go ahead. Pursue your anger. I just personally don't know what your angry at. And let us know if you get something. We'd all be happy for you. I just would not go about it in some of the ways some of you guys are. I have complained on far less issues, and have been taken of .....courteously. I believe I have read that no one would have wanted this to happen to them. Nor would I. We would all be dissapointed. But it did happen, and does, quiet frequently, apparently, on all lines.

"We're not moving fast? Bring me another Pina Colada"

JMHO

Good luck!
Old March 11th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Mark Mitchell

Don & Mr. Pete:
If our comments irritate you why do you seem to keep gravitating to this issue.Why dont you just steer clear off the Glory 2/19 issues.The message board is being used as designed.We havenot called your houses to complain or e-mailed you.Do you write to the editor everytime you read the newspaper? We were there and you were not.This is not a group of people trying to get a freebie.
Old March 11th, 2005, 05:48 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete
Default Re: Re: publicity for Carnival Glory cruise 2/19-2/26

Eh? Takes a lot more than this to make me irritated.

Please report on the FACTS as you get anything new.
Old March 11th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Familiar Face

I have a question...........

>>Carnival makes out in the deal<<

How exactly does Carnival make out in this deal?

They gave an onboard credit of $100.00.
They offered another $150.00 credit on the next cruise.
They fed, housed and entertained everyone for 7 days.
I would guess that the repair will cost tens of thousands of dollars to fix.
Now they are getting bashed continually...........

I don't see how they benefit from this deal at all.

IMO anyway.
Old March 11th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Passenger

So like I said in an earlier thread, you guys enjoy the fact that we are upset. It's like you look forward to reading about how upset we are so you can bash us and insult us for feeling this way. Who is it thats being childish???
Old March 11th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Depressed

Enough already, Its depressing the rest of us that has cruises coming up!!! Call the Lawyers........................
Old March 11th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Yeoman

If you folks on the 2-19 sailing of the Glory think you got ripped off by Carnival, let me state the facts for a Bahamas cruise on the Fascination VS an Eastern cruise on the Glory:

Glory sailing 2-18-2006 4A $829. / $118.43 day
7 night 6A $9979 / $139.85 day

Fascination sailing 2-17-2006 4A $399. / $133.00 day
3 night 6A $439. / $146.33 day

Fascination sailing 2-20-2006 4A $449. / $112.25 day
4 night 6A $499./ $124.75 day

(prices are from an internet web site, same one used for all 3 sailings, and prices will vary by web site!)

IMO, seems the prices on these cruises are very comparable. Everyone did receive a shipboard credit of $100. which means $14.28 per day. You did spend 7 days on the ship and eat X number of times per day on the ship, and got to see all the shows, and entertainment.

You were on a cruise ship for 7 days, and were waited on, and served, and taken care of for the week. What more could you be asking for?

The ports of call are a bonus on a cruise. If you want to go specifically to a certain island, then cruising is not for you. You should do a land vacation at the particular island for the week, IMO.

Post Edited (03-11-05 09:32)

NCL Dawn (Repo 14 nite) 11-1-09
RCCL Mariner of the Sea (Mexican Riviera) 4-18-10
1 FFC--Princess

19 finished cruises to date!
Old March 11th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Passenger

Enough already! If any of you were to take a cross country trip with several stops along the way and your car broke down and you had to cancel several stops...Who would you blame? Where would you demand a refund from, the car maufacturer? The people that built the engine? Things happen--GET OVER IT! I would dare to bet that a number of you are already booked on another cruise or at least looking for another one to take. Life is to short. Ask yourself this...Despite all of the mechanical problems and the lack in ports of call DID YOU HAVE FUN? If you did then you got what you really wanted anyways.. a relaxing week aboard ship.

Fascination...Again

Fascination 04, 05
Old March 11th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: publicity for Carnival Glory cruise 2/19-2/26

This issue keeps coming back, because people simply don't want to acknowledge what the contract says. We have repeated this so often, it is becoming nauseating - the ports are at the discretion of the cruise line, for a variety of reasons, including mechanical problems, weather issues, etc. In fact, the captain can say - "I really don't like that island, I am not going there today" and he would be within his authority (the cruise line may frown on that scenario, true).

I do get the feeling that many of the complainers are indeed looking for a future freebie, and are trying to take advantage of an unfortunate situation. I know some are genuinely upset, and that is fair. But, please, read the documents and understand what you bought when you signed on.

As far as lawsuits - have a field day. In the end, you will get less than what Carnival has laready offered.
Old March 11th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Mark Mitchell

Now,now children if you were not there keep to yourselves
Old March 11th, 2005, 06:06 PM
sonny

Yes this is still alive and hopefully will stay alive til carnival steps up to the plate. This message is for those who were on the 2/19 cruise. Don't give up just because people who were not on the cruise have nothing better to do than to slam us for trying to get what we feel we are due. My TA has received no offer from carnival for $150 credit on my sail and sign on a future cruise. I will keep writing and emailing and faxing and phoning until someone at carnival responds to my concerns. As for carnival spending $$$ on repairs to this ship I would hope that a ship this new would still be under some type of warranty.
I don’t understand why anyone who was not on this cruise would even look at these posts if they don’t have some positive input. I have been on three cruises with Carnival and feel that they can do better than this. Our first cruise we also did not get to go to St. Martin because a passenger had an allergic reaction. I did not at that time feel that Carnival had any alternative but to do what was best for the passenger. This time I do feel that Carnival carries the blame.
I think that everyone on this cruise tried to make the best of it. I have not posted here before because I felt I had nothing more to offer. But for someone who was not there to think that $100 credit on your sail and sign(non-refundable) and the possibility of $150 more on your sail and sign(after you pay full price for your next cruise) is the best that Carnival can do, well……
Old March 11th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Author: sonny (1Cust7530.an1.cle11.da.uu.net)
Date: 03-11-05 18:06

Yes this is still alive and hopefully will stay alive til carnival steps up to the plate. This message is for those who were on the 2/19 cruise. Don't give up just because people who were not on the cruise have nothing better to do than to slam us for trying to get what we feel we are due.

I think there are very few people who have "slammed" you. There's certainly been those who have pointed out the terms of the contract. A lot of the negative reaction has come from those who were on the cruise being upset that everyone isn't agreeing that more compensation is due.

It's probably because many people here have been through it; missing ports of call for a variety of reasons. Unfortunately it does happen fairly frequently. And some likely think that many people had a pretty good time despite the problems.

I really think MOST of the people posting think those who were on the cruise deserve some compensation, but most of the friction in the thread comes from what the different people think is adequate compensation.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 11th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Passenger

Has anyone read the "before it starts" posts? Apparently the Ecstasy had mechanical trouble as well. A letter from CCL is posted there (if it wasn't deleted) about what CCL is doing for them. I will add that it is significantly better than what they have offered the Glory.
Old March 11th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Passenger

Are Jocko the snoozer's e comments part of the TOS? Are the employees of Cruisemates getting arrogant again? Please find another thread where your advice is needed. and let the Glory and now the Esctasy passengers communicate without interference. Please go help someone who wants it.
Old March 11th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Passenger

unfortunately the CCL letter was deleted. This was the best I could find.

I read the following:
"Guests were apprised of the propulsion problem and the possibility of a modified itinerary prior to the cruise and had the option of canceling and receiving a full refund of their cruise fare if they did not wish to sail. Those who did sail received, in addition to a $40-per-person credit to cover Monday's meal expenses, 50 percent off this cruise and a 25 percent discount certificate on another short voyage.
Old March 11th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Admiral

I don't know where you were looking.. but obviously the wrong thread.
http://www.cruise-forums.com/forums/...04660&t=104660

BTW.. the situation on Ecstasy was different. They knew of the problem before they left port, and they made the offers before departure time.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 11th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Author: nhfamily (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: 03-11-05 20:07

Are Jocko the snoozer's e comments part of the TOS? Are the employees of Cruisemates getting arrogant again? Please find another thread where your advice is needed. and let the Glory and now the Esctasy passengers communicate without interference. Please go help someone who wants it.

Exactly the type of rude comments I was talking about, that will illicit a negative reaction . If you have problems with the way these message boards are run, and the reactions you get , the answer is very simple.... move on out! Find another playground.

If you want to share your information in a mature manner, you're welcome to. But, this isn't a place to vent your anger at other posters!