Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Phil & Liz

Default Stand down policy

I would like to simply say first off that I support CCL and other lines in their business and will continue to sail on CCL or any other line I have an opportunity to.

I feel that the industry could benefit from making a policy of a 1 day "stand down" of their ships between sailings to allow for complete inspections by company engineers/personnel.

During my time in the service I recall several times when we would halt all aircraft flights until each and every aircraft went thru an inspection.

This could not only be for mechanical but health as well. We all recall the Norwalk like sicknesses of the past. I do know that ships receive a health inspection periodically , from the CG I believe, and the results are available on the net. The key word there is periodic.....every 6 months or whatever.

Now I realize that cost is the single major factor in this. I also realize that port charges paid by the lines are high and are a major portion of their operating expenses.

I also know that when a line is placed in a port city, there are "concessions" made by the City, such as tax abatements, as a lure to the lines to home there.

Perhaps the lines could negotiate a better deal on the port charges with the City so that the line can conduct these inspections without taking as large a hit in expenses.

Just my thoughts.....y'all throw yours out there now.

Phil
Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Stand down policy

While it's a nice thought, I don't see this ever happening. Instead of being able to book 52 7-day cruises in a year on a particular ship, a cruise line would only be able to book around 45 7-day cruises (with one day in between each cruise). I don't see cruise lines being willing to take that kind of a hit to the pocketbook even if they were able to negotiate lower port charges. Imagine how much less money the cruise line would make in a year if they had to book 7 less cruises than they were used to. Would the cruise lines raise the price of a cruise to make up the difference and still be able to make the same amount of profits they did previously?
Old March 10th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Stand down policy

We could do that in the Military an even though it was tough, it was possible and did not take a monitary hit unlike commercial business would. It just is not going to happen because of the loss of income they would incur. Ships are set up to begin and end on the weekends and that one day hiatus would throw that all off. They will rely on the crew to maintain the ship until the time comes for a wet dock which takes them out of service for a week and then again until drydock time which usually takes a week or two or even more depending on what they want to do. Turn-around on military ships was supposed to be 50 years and that is basically down to 35-40 now where the commercial cruiseships have a life expectancy of less than 20 years for the major lines or half that.
Jim