Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to shanenstac
Default gifts in room

has anyone ever bought any of the gifts from carnival before the cruise to have delivered to your cabin when you arrive? how does this work out? are the gifts worth the money? thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: gifts in room

I always buy gifts for the cabin prior to sailing. The room decorations are nicely done and I think worth the price. This past cruise we also had the choco covered strawberries and champagne waiting for us. That was fun to have when the ship set sail. A nice bon-voyage toast.

Old March 10th, 2005, 01:16 PM
First Mate

i always buy the gifts to be in the cabin when i arrive. the number one reason is that it cuts down on the cost of the sail and sighn at the end of the cruise. so far i have ordered flowers ( they are always beautiful ) a nice bottle of wine will be on ice when i get to the cabin and another bottle will be at the dining room for me the first night, i also ordered photo coupons, a nightshirt and bar coupons. we also have already picked a tour already online. i like the idea of having these things paid for before i board. i takes away some of the shock of the charges for things on the cruise. each time i charge on the cc card i pay it off right away. i love the convienience of having things all set up and ready for the cruise right away and not having to deal with the excursion desk for a tour i want to take. i am a big fan of having alot of the cost of the extras paid for before i board. that way i have more money for fun things i see and want to do in the ports and on the ship. have a wonderful cruise and a memorable experience. i love carnival and will keep choosing them for my cruise travels.

Old March 10th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Beginner

I'm a travel agent and have purchased many of the gifts Carnival offers, and also have had guests purchasing for other guests.

Based on the gift you select, some are worth it and some are not.
Probably the shipboard credit is the best gift since the guest can utilize the money for any onboard purchase they desire (ie. alcohol, photos, spa services, shore excursions, etc).

Having champagne or wine delivered to the cabin is always a nice treat. However, some ports have liquor restrictions. Galveston, for example, does not allow the alcohol to be delivered while in port due to Texas liquor laws. Instead, the guest receives a note saying they have a gift which will be delivered the following day. It's sort of deflating because the whole concept of BON VOYAGE is the farewell ceremony!! So if you are ordering alcohol, be sure to ask the rules. It may be better to have it delivered to their dinner table since the ship will already be cruising by then.

As for things such as bath robes or beach bags...they are nice souveniers but probably overpriced for what you get. I rarely send food baskets because there's already enough food to consume onboard. Flowers are a great alternative and work really nice for those folks celebrating anniversaries or birthdays. But some departure ports (especially international ones) may not allow flowers brought onto the ship due to health or environmental standards.

The procedure is simple. The Bon Voyage Gift Department will take the order with a credit card. You need to know the ship, sail date, guest name, and cabin number. Sometimes there's a time limit on when you can place the order so the sooner you know prior to the cruise departure, the better.

Hope this helps!
monica
Old March 10th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Admiral

We've always had something, and it's fun to be surprised, or to surprise the kids. The room decorations are great, the plate of home-made cookies was a big hit, so was the chocolate ship. I've also had flowers and wine for myself. Makes the cruise a little more special!

donna

Old March 10th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Captain

We have always gotten the Romance, Anniversary or Honeymoon package. great fun and great deal. If I remember right you get a bottle of champange, 2 glasses, 2 visors, 2 t shirts, 4 drink coupons, $15 photo coupon, and a camera for $75.00.
We enjoy the wine, in the glasses which are a nice souveniers, then we use the coupons (for all my foo foo drinks, my husband drinks beer which isn't really expensive) and a picture. Then we use the other items for souveniers for the people back on dry land. Have a great cruise.
susan

PS I'm trying this count down clock and don't have the slightest idea what I'm doing, hope it works.

Pride
Old March 10th, 2005, 11:54 PM
First Mate

My favorite is the Chocolate coverd strawberries and The fruit basket.

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old March 11th, 2005, 12:25 AM
Beginner

Hey All! I tried to order some gifts for my kids but I couldn't complete it online because we have a guarantee cabin reservation. Is there a "trick" to this I am just missing?
Old March 11th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Captain

Never,
If you don't have a cabin number you have to do it by phone. Number is on the web site.
Old March 11th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

That is funny to bring this up to me...... I used a new girl to book this cruise with this time for June.... the price is amazingly good, and we were talking..... one of the last things she said too when talking about the price, she said I know you probably use a TA that gives you gift when you get on the ship but I don't, that way you save money on your ticket! HEE HEE