Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2005, 03:46 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77
Default I just don't understand

Ok, so maybe I am just brain dead, but I don't get all this room assignment stuff. I have been on two cruises before, the first I was in an inside stateroom, the second I was in a balcony room. To me, other than one having a balcony, they were pretty much the same. I guess I don't understand what is different about it. Are they supposed to feel different? Are the supposed to look different? What is all this upgrading stuff? Does it just mean you get moved from one floor to another?? Does the floor you are on really make a difference? I just don't get it, and maybe I am just an inexperienced cruiser. Any help would be appreciated. I am just trying to understand, I hope I am not comming off grouchy or mean, I just want to understand, specially since we are going on another one in October.

Sorry if I sound like a moron
Erin

09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday
Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Default Re: I just don't understand

Erin, you are neither grouchy, mean or a moron. What you are is a member of a large group of folks who get confused by this stuff.
On the modern cruise ships, most rooms are pretty much the same (within related catagories). Suites and such are obviously larger.
Some folks could care less about inside /outside balconey. Some could care less about 4th deck or ninth. Some could care less about forward, midships, stern,
To others this is like an obsesive science.
There are two ways to book a cabin. First is to book a specific cabin number.
Usually that is the cabin you get.
The second is to book a catagory gurantee. You book a guaranteed inside /outside /balconey room (whatever). You do so knowing the minimum accomadation you will get will be in that catagory, but where is not determined until some later time. As the ship fills, you may be lucky enough to get an upgrade in catagory if the demand for one catagory is more or less than others.
The second can be like a crap shot . Sometimes you win , you can hardly lose as you will always get the minimum catagory you booked. The second way to go is the way to go if you are ambivilant to where /what room you get. Go with the first way if, like my wife, you will only be satisfied with something specific.
I hope this explains it.
Happy cruising
Old March 10th, 2005, 04:17 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77

PapaBill,

Thank you so much for helping me. The last, and this cruise we booked a gty balcony room. Last time, that is what we got, but for all I know we got a higher floor. It was the 6th floor on the Triumph. I guess to me, I don't spend that much time in the room, I am too busy playing around the ship!! But I will never sail without a balcony....... that was the way to go!!!!! I could have slept out there if there was a better chair!!

Thanks Again,
Erin

09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday
Old March 10th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: I just don't understand

If you know you like the balconey (as my wife does), then book a balconey guaranty and you will never be disapointed.
Happy Cruising
Old March 10th, 2005, 04:44 PM
workingmomof3

I personally would be happy with an oceanview - I want to be able to see out. I didn't like an inside, although I did get one for my kids when we went with the whole family. Since I just got upgraded to a balcony, I'm very happy, but with 5 of us going, I can't afford a balcony right at booking time. I will, however, be more than happy to stay in one with Carnival eating the difference in cost!!

I'm not really choosy on the deck, but we were going to be on the bottom deck, which meant longer elevator rides or walks to everything. Being on a higher deck means less traveling to the fun spots, but it comes at a higher cost.

I agree with you, Erin, I don't spend a lot of time in the room, so I can't see myself saying I would only book a suite, because of that lack of time in the room. I'd rather spend that extra $$ in port or on the ship!

JMHO....
Old March 10th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Admiral

PapaBill is somewhat like me, it doesn't really matter that much to me where I am so long as I am on the ship. Yes having a window is nice so I can see out and having a balcony is very nice to relax on or stand outside on. Whe amount od money it costs between them is not always worth it to me. To many it is a necessary item. To each his own I say. I usually go for the cheapest cabin but it the price is close and I have it I may step up and even all the way to a balcony but mostly, I want to be on the ship. <G> As we are not prone to seasickness and sleep pretty soundly the location really ins't all that important either and we have had cabins all over the ships.
Jim

Old March 10th, 2005, 05:42 PM
lucky judy

We were just on a Carnival ship and glad to be on the first floor. Most of the action (and disembarkation) was only a floor a3way! We usually book a guarantee, though for alaska we wanted a certain side of the ship so... Lower down can be much smoother in rough weather so why pay for discomfort?
Old March 13th, 2005, 12:16 AM
First Mate

We got upgraded to a porthole window from an inside guarantee. It was still on the rivera deck but the room was R-4 and it was way bigger than the other rooms. This was on the Sensation