Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2005, 03:42 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete
Default Re: Glory Class Action Suit

KMBB.

I would love to hear of your experience, from the time the fire broke out, till you got off the ship. That must have been one horrid experience. I do remember seeing someones home movie afterwards see all the black coming up from the back of the ship while they were filming from the main lido pool. But that really didn't match watching those flames shooting out from the opening at the rear of the ship.

Pete (who doesn't really want to hijack this thread, .......so solly).
Old March 17th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The "it could have been worse" post reminded me on an old joke.. thought I might share to "lighten the mood"........ TOTALLY off topic.. but here it goes <G>

There were half a dozen men who would get together every weekend for lunch, and a few cocktails, and conversation.

One of the men became known to the group as "It Could Have Been Worse" because no matter what devastating news anyone in the group talked about, this one fellow would say... Well, it could have been worse.

On one weekend "it could have been worse" bowed out of the lunch gathering, and the others started talking about how sick they were getting of "it could have been worse" always saying "it could have been worse"..... so they agreed on a story to tell for the following weekend's lunch, so terrible that he wouldn't possibly be able to say "it could have been worse".

The next weekend "it could have been worse" showed up for lunch... but one of the other men, Bill did not. "It could have been worse" asked how come Bill wasn't at lunch.

So the other guys said.. You didn't hear on the news??.... Today Bill walked in and found his wife in bed with another man. He got his gun and shot her, and then shot him! And then he got taken off to jail.

It could have been worse said.... It could have been worse!

Everyone piped up.. HOW could this have POSSIBLY BEEN WORSE?

"It could have been worse" said.. it could have been worse if it was last weekend, and it would have been me.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 17th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Passenger

Mr.PeteLI----Well are you sure you want to hear the details??? We were on the boat for only a short time(actually had just did our munster drill ) and was going to the windjammer cafe to get a bite to eat. Thats where the black smoke was all coming from, we ask the workers what was going on, but they had NO idea. It started getting alot more heavier and the cruise ship Captain made a announcement to get your life jackets and report to your munster stations. As we were going down the stairs(elevators were shut down) all the lights went out for only a few seconds but that was REALLY scary!!!) We made it to our station and watch from the deck all the news helicopters and the coast guard boats come up to our ship to observe. THe ships captain had every intention of cruiseing the ship out into internations waters where the coast guard would not be able to assist. We could not understand why we were still sailing out of Miami with the boat on fire. Finally the coast guard had to order the captain to stop the ship completly and we were then towed back into Miami(it took about 24 hours to be towed)and we were less than 2 miles from Miami port. Alot of the help did not know what to do, and believe it or not were more worry about how they were going to be paid(can understand that as they are very depended on their jobs to send money back to their home land) While being towed back, everything on the ship was shut down, they had no ice and all the sodas were warm to drink. They did try to use up there food on ship and offer it to us.

Some people had cell phones, so they were able to call home, but we did not. MY father(81 at the time) saw my husband and I on the CNN News(I had my life jacket on, but my husband did not) so at least he knew we were OK. It was a VERY long next 3 days before we got home to see our kids and family. We were put up in a hotel in Miami with the clothes on our backs(all our luggage was on the boat) We could not leave the hotel as Carnval was trying to get us out on a flight home, but it took 3 days for us. Our local news channels, somehow got our hotel phone number and started calling at all hours to get information on the cruise. So we instantly became celebrities in our home town and surounding areas(our only 15 minutes of fame).

We were given a "special" phone number to contact, so we could schedule our "Free cruise" but it was a battle from the start, what a hassle dealing with the Carnival people. We did finally after many months of phone calls get to go on our cruise. They did not want to give us a summer cruise like we had, but I insisted!!!! So with all that behind us, we now cruise Royal Carribean and are looking forward to a great cruise in June with our twin boys(their first cruise)

So things do happen, life goes on and we were very happy that no one was hurt. It could have been worst if we would have ended up in the international waters, because other countries would have had to get invloved and I don't believe they would have been very helpful or had the resources to assist. So I have my pictures and my tape to review when ever I want to re-live that experience. So its off to happier times ahead, can't wait for our next cruise!!!!! KMBB
Old March 17th, 2005, 06:06 PM
wes

"if someone asks and you want to share personal experience about a hotel, cruise line, agent, etc, then that is allowed."

OK... could anyone recommend a good cruise attorney who is currently working on a suit against Carnival in regards to the Glory?
Old March 17th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Admiral

That information can be sent to Wes via e -mail. It CAN NOT be posted on the boards.

Suggest people read, rather than twist it... and if you read the portion quoted, the question asked in no way falls under the description of what's allowed, or is it even close.

Here's a link to our User Agreement. Pretty easy reading.... even a lawyer can understand it <G>

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...index.cfm#user

Old March 17th, 2005, 06:38 PM
wes

well i had to give it a shot...nobody has emailed me the attorney's name...i'm starting to wonder if there is an attorney... i wouldn't join that case anyway...as far as the women on the boat who were seeking passengers to sign their petition: i'm not sure what they were trying to accomplish... it said something like "we the passengers of Glory petition for a refund"... well gee i didn't realize that the CCL Board of Directors were public servants...as a result I don't think a petition would have done much good...now if they were collecting addresses to organize, well then thats different...but if they were seeking petition signers they should have been thrown in the brig for being stupid...
Old March 17th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Wes.. you said you are a 3 rd year law student.

Curious.. have you shown your cruise contact to any of the contract law professors at your school to see what their thoughts might be?

Old March 17th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Lenny and Christina

I talked to a friend of mine and your class action law suit,( he know what he is taking about, he was the attorney general in my state till elect ot another post). I show him on of my past ticket and what Carnival has said about no refunds and he said you will have to show that Carnival knew about the problem before you left port. Good Luck
Old March 17th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Storm'n Norman

Like I said previously..............this Class Action will NOT get off the ground. As a former Attorney, there is absolutely NO evidence (as far as I am aware) that this problem occurred prior to around 4.00am on Sunday 20th February 2004. I was on board and my cabin shook and rattled for no apparent reason. I contacted the purser's desk but was advised ALL was normal............Having cruised for over 10 years with 42 cruises under my belt (30 on CCL, 6 on Princess and 6 on RCCL), I knew that this was NOT the case.

I then spoke with Captain Salvatore Rassello that evening (for 15 minutes) and he advised that at approximatel 4.00am that morning as the ship was in the outer harbor of Nassau, engineers detected a problem with the starboard propulsion unit. It was immediately turned off and the ship made its way to Nassau to dock under one unit only. Upon entering the Port of Nassau and docking, the engineers removed the outer casing of the propulsion unit to find a "chunk" of metal jammed inside.

I believe the Captain (and having cruised with him many times before), have no reason to disbelieve him. I am sure he would NOT be putting his job on the line to lie about this incident. Cruising has been in his family for generations..........
Old March 17th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Ginamarie

I said this earlier, and I'll reiterate it for wes and whomever else is still harping on the class action/attorney angle. As an attorney who works in marine/admiralty law, this is not a case that I believe will fare well as a lawsuit. I know a lot of attorneys in the field, and none of them are interested in taking something like this. That being said, I would encourage people who feel cheated to keep following up with Carnival, preferably in writing, because I think it would be more effective for you. I can't render anyone a legal opinion, but in my personal opinion, I think that's the way to go.
Old March 17th, 2005, 10:20 PM
wes

Kuki,
I agree... there is absolutely no chance for a class action suit to succeed...any first year student who has taken contracts can see that Carnival has its bases covered LEGALLY...however the prospective cost of defending itself may incline Carnival to "do the right thing" and settle for a discount (25%???) on a future cruise and keep a customer and still make money...my case is different however because I DID request to take advantage of the Vacation Guarantee which is offered in the contract and was denied to me(Carnival has already backed itself into a corner by admitting passengers were allowed to take the Guarantee) , therefore Carnival is in breech of contract...the discussion that I had with my professors have been on this issue not whether or not Carnival has the right to change ports...however I will get their feedback on Monday as to their opinions on the legal deinition of "Eastern Carribean Cruise"...I'll follow up...for the weekend I have to fly to LA so I'll check back on Monday to see if anybody has made any progress...
Hasta Luego
Old March 18th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Dale A.

Author: wes (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 03-17-05 18:38

well i had to give it a shot...nobody has emailed me the attorney's name...i'm starting to wonder if there is an attorney... i wouldn't join that case anyway...as far as the women on the boat who were seeking passengers to sign their petition: i'm not sure what they were trying to accomplish... it said something like "we the passengers of Glory petition for a refund"... well gee i didn't realize that the CCL Board of Directors were public servants...as a result I don't think a petition would have done much good...now if they were collecting addresses to organize, well then thats different...but if they were seeking petition signers they should have been thrown in the brig for being

Or group had talked to a lady who was collecting names and addresses, not just merely signing a petition. Carnival tried to cut her off. When trying to call her cabin all her calls were intercepted, she was threatened with arrest if she did not stop.
Our group of 40 collected our names and addresses, and emails. Security kept a tight watch on her cabin, we did not sign a petition. We tried to use the vacation guarentee also, but were told that there were 3000 people on the ship and they couldn't get an airflight for everyone.
One man tried to get them to sign a letter(Pursers desk)stating that he asked to use the vacation guarentee . Of course they refused to do so and refused to take a copy of his letter.
Surprise.
Old March 18th, 2005, 03:38 PM
First Mate

This still lives, eh?

I wonder if Carnival considers themselves covered by first offering a vacation guarantee that clearly states that you must notify them BEFORE their first port of call, and then they can basically give, and pick and choose anyone they want to reward it to at their discretion, clearly knowing their fine line. At that point, if they chose, they can let anyone off anywhere, offering anything they wish.

Who knows. Book your next cruise, and enjoy!
Old March 18th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Secret Cruiser

I have a hypothetical situation for the poster who identified herself as a maritime lawyer.
Suppose, hypothetically only, that Carnival knew before the Glory ever left Florida that there was no way it would ever get close to the Caribbean. Suppose Carnival executives decided to continue promoting and selling it with the original itinerary. Suppose they decided to let only a few people off at the first non-U.S. port if anybody decided to use the "guarantee", and stonewall the rest. Suppose they decided to offer the rest $100, non-refundable, then high-fived each other on the way out of the conference room, shouting "KA-CHING".

I'm not saying this happened, but none of the facts we have seen rule it out. Only discovery might reveal this scenario.

If this hypothetical situation were proven true, would your opinion still be this case "would not fare well in a lawsuit"?

All I am saying to everybody is, don't assume you know what really happened when nobody does . . . yet.

(And Wes, no, the contract doesn't cover all bases legally. No contract in the United States evades fraud.)
Old March 18th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Carrie Tyrrell

Just wonderinig why people on the Glory were only offered a $150.00 shipboard credit towards a future cruise and the passengers on the Ecstasy were given much more.A 25% refund of the fare paid and a 25% discount towards a future sailing. Both ships were having propulsion problems, I know that they admitted to knowing about the Ecstacsy problems before sailing but we still did not follow out scheduled itinerary. Whats the difference here. I feel Carnvial should compensate the Glory passengers with the same deal.
Old March 18th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Secret Cruiser

I don't know why you're angry, diver, but you're apparently not familiar with Carnival's "guarantee". It says:

"Notify us before arrival at the first port of call and you may debark at your ship's first non-U.S. port of call. Carnival will refund the unused portion of your cruise fare and pay your flight back."

Note, it does not say: "Some passengers may be refused disembarkement if too many want to exercise the guarantee." It also doesn't guarantee any specific flight.

You are dead wrong about it being "impossible to get all the Glory passengers" back to the States. Not that that is any of Carnival's business, but I assure you there have been numerous flights from the Bahamas to the United States since the Glory was there (if only they had paid for them).
Old March 19th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Glory Class Action Suit

I am familiar with the gurantee, and I have followed this thread and have read the complaints, and I just think that Carnival has done what it should do. And I also think that had they let everyone off the ship, the airlines would have been overwhelmed and not been able to get people back, and then many of you would be complaining about that. Just my opinion and just the sense I get from the nature of all the posts I read when this all began.

I wasn't there, but I have been on cruises where ports were changed or completely eliminated. It happens, life goes on and we move to the next cruise. But, if you all really feel so aggreived, by all means pursue it.
Old March 19th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Admiral

Enough Already....IF I have to stop this car..I am going to tan all your hides..now lets get back to cruising..on a peacful ship this time..>VBG<

Old March 19th, 2005, 01:54 PM

This thread contains numerous postings about whether the name of a lawyer suing Carnival in a class action should be named. The real issue should be is Carnival being sued in a class action and if so for what. The lawyers name is irrelevant, you should post the name of the court case, the court the case is filed in, and the docket number.
Old March 19th, 2005, 11:55 PM
Born to cruisejp

Ginamarie, I totally agree with you, I work for a major international corp., and they have an army of attorneys on retainer for any & all suits. They are prepared for anything. The contracts you sign are well written & they cover all loopholes. I believe Carnival in this class. So I think its best to cut your losses & get on with life. S**t happens & life goes on, book your next vacation & get on with life.This is only my 2 cents worth. Happy crusin' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old March 20th, 2005, 01:02 AM
sno

hypotheticly, it did happen. The Glory Captain and engineer knew in Port Canaveral that the ship wouln't have enough engine power or propulsion to make it through to the Carribean, so the ship continued on in the hopes that nobody would know enough to take the "funship guanrantee". Of course, we were told by the CD, Carlo, NOT to go to the purser as nothing could be done, and when we were able to call customer care, we were told to see the pursor. When we saw the pursor, we were told to call customer care. What a runaround we got, all for a busted brand new ship. Carnival, in my opinion, is responsible for the safety of it's passengers, crew included, and responsible to deliver a product it guaranteed. Hypotheicaly, I promise you beef tenderloin, yet give you a Big Mac. It's still beef right?
Old March 20th, 2005, 01:46 AM
Beginner

Can anybody explain to me whats happending with the Carnival Glory?
Old March 20th, 2005, 04:11 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Re: Re: Glory Class Action Suit

sno writes:

"hypotheticly, it did happen. The Glory Captain and engineer knew in Port Canaveral that the ship wouln't have enough engine power or propulsion to make it through to the Carribean, so the ship continued on in the hopes that nobody would know enough to take the "funship guanrantee". "

That statement has been refuted by people who were there. They say Carnival had no knowledge before the ship left port - in fact that opposite - that something happened on the way towards Nassau.

You have no way of knowing what Carnival knew when - so please do not make admittedly hypothetical statements as if they are fact when they are merely conjecture. Carnival has owned up in the past when they knew of problems ahead of time - this time they didn't announce any problems before departure. Logically, that would lead to the conclusion they did not know of any problems before departure ahead of time in this case.

Old March 20th, 2005, 05:09 AM
First Mate

[quote]
Hypotheicaly, I promise you beef tenderloin, yet give you a Big Mac. It's still beef right?
[;/quote]

Bad analogy. Should be "I went to dinner. I had booked a window seat, and got a table in the corner, but I still ordered and got beef tenderloin".
Old March 20th, 2005, 05:37 AM
First Mate

.....and I tried to get some compensation.
Old March 20th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Admiral

You don't just "file" a class action suit. First the court has to certify the class and that is not an easy or quick process.

If and when the class is certified, then a class action can be filed and you'll hear. It's not something that is going to happen quickly.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old March 20th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Familiar Face

>Hypotheicaly, I promise you beef tenderloin, yet give you a Big Mac. It's still beef right?<

Not hypotheicaly, in REALITY it is still beef.
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:54 PM
wes

So I see we've gotten nowhere since I've been gone...
I'll be calling for my 25% discount today..in the words of Jerry Maguire "who's going with me?"
Old March 22nd, 2005, 05:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Storm'n Norman

Name the ship and date...........
Old March 22nd, 2005, 07:38 PM
wes

This will be my LAST post complaining about the Glory 2/19 cruise...why??? because I found out today my wife got pregnant on this cruise!!!! So what have I got to complain about?!?!?!? I will however stop short of naming him Carlo if its a boy!!! I wish the rest of my fellow Glory cruisers the best in their endeavours... Good night now!!!!