Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2005, 11:43 AM
ninaclock

Default Spray-on Tans Anyone?

I'd like to get some sun before I cruise in April. The problem is it won't quit snowing in Iowa. I'm quite sure my polar-white skin would frighten people at the beach and poolside. I am a blue-eyed, freckled and fair Irish lass who doesn't tan without burning. My last cruise I was miserable from the burning and peeling. It hurt to put clothes on and I look so red in all the pictures we took! As I get older, I'm trying to be smarter about being in the sun and wear sunscreen. Healthier for me, but not as visualy appealing.

Here's my question: Has anyone tried the new salon spray-on tans before going on vacation? I am hearing great things about them. A lot of people are trying this healthier alternative to tanning beds and natural sun. I know that having a spray-on tan will not protect you from the sun, so I will still need to be careful and apply sunscreen to keep from burning.

There is one problem that concerns me. The website of the brand that is available in our area (Mystic Tan) said that exposure to chlorinated water or salt water *could* cause the tan to fade. Has anyone ever had an experience with a salon spray-on tan and swimming in salt water? I don't want to miss out on swimming on the cruise, but I'm curious what will happen when you combine the two. They only claim there *could* be a problem, so maybe it doesn't happen all the time. I know that all spray-on tans fade within 5-7 days anyway, but I'd hate to have it disappear the first time I get in the water! Any information would be helpful, CruiseMates.

Nina
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: Spray-on Tans Anyone?

Nina:

My husband's ex-wife did the Mystic Tan (that's what we have in our area too) and she turned orange after about 24 hours. When she went to back to them they told her that this does happen with some people, depending on their skin type. I would see if you could get a small portion of your skin tanned and wait a week to see what happens before you do your whole body. She had to live with the look until it faded out.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old March 11th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

I use the lotion bronzers for my skin. I am a fair skinned blonde and it works for me. Even if it does fade you can apply it again and get results within a few hours. Experiment with this method, it would probably be cheaper for you also. Definately use your sun screen and remember to put it on an hour or so before exposure to the sun, I also read that you shouldn't let your sun screen sit in the sun and get hot or it ruins it, and you want to make sure the sunscreen is fresh and not a bottle that has been sitting on the shelf for a year. Good Luck
Old March 11th, 2005, 01:24 PM
borntocruisejp

ninaclock , I got a spray on tan before our last cruise. At times I felt l looked orange. It also faded unevenly. I have fair skin & burn easily. I use the tanning bed for a small amout of time before the cruise. I have found I do not burn as easily when I am in the sun. Have a great vacation.
Old March 11th, 2005, 01:58 PM
ninaclock

Darcy,
WOW, how long ago did this happen to your husband's ex? I am hearing that they *used* to have a problem with the "orange" look, but they have that corrected now. I certainly don't want to be orange. I have tried self-applied tanning lotions, but I find that I cant get even coverage with them. (You have to have someone else do your back, knees and elbows darker than the rest, etc.)

Our local tanning salon said that everyone loves the Mystic Tan so much that they had to purchase another booth to keep up with demand. I guess I could ask if I can do a "sample" tan on a small inconspicuous area first, but somehow I doubt that's an option. Maybe I'll just stop in to the salon someday and talk to actual users. They tell me there is usually a line waiting to use the machines at all times.
Old March 11th, 2005, 02:28 PM
BoosterMom

Hey Ninaclock

My redheaded fair skinned green eyed daughter tried spray on tan during rush in September. She burns real easy and NEVER tans. She loved it and looked good. It stays on for about a week. She said you can't bathe or get wet for several hours after but other than that........she liked it because it gave her just enough glow so that her legs and arms didn't scare anyone! She said it gradually fades away, doesn't peel or get on clothes, in about a week. She has also used the bronzers, sunless tan stuff. She never turns orange, but likes the spray on tan best. It isn't Mystic Tan in her college town but that's what we have here at home. Her only complaint was that it was $40.00 per session...........
Old March 11th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Spray-on Tans Anyone?

Darcy - how much did you enjoy the fact that your husband's ex wife turned orange?

And how long have you been waiting for a chance to let the world know. lol
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Darcy,

Diverbl beat me to the question, but is was funny just the same. :--)

Nina,

I tried the Mystic tan a couple of years ago and in the beginning of the 3rd day, it was coming off on the sheets of the bed and was very streaked on me. The salt water probably didn't help.

About 3 weeks before we sailed last week, my husband and I both went and built a base tan up at the tanning bed. I still wore lots of sunscreen, even though it was cloudy and I already had a good base. I also took lots of aloe and put it on every time I rinsed the salt water off.

JMHO, but you might even try some of the bronzers that you apply yourself if you don't want to go the tanning bed route. I had bad luck with them too, but I am "weird", lol

I will also offer a suggestion based on my husband's experience at the tanning bed. He tanned with me this time and I COULD NOT convince him to go slow and build up. Needless to say he was a "reddie" on the cruise.

Talk to ya soon,

Lisa
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Nina - It happened in November of 2004. She was going away on a belated honeymoon and it was just awful.

Diverbl and Lisa - !!! Actually, his ex-wife is really nice and I felt bad for her, although I have to admit I was glad she had gone and done it first as I was going to try it for our upcoming cruise! Needless to say I'm just going to take some sessions in the tanning bed.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think you should go in a tanning bed a couple of times before the cruise for the best results. The spray on tanning won't help you keep from burning as would a tan from a tanning bed. Also, spray on tans turn you orange in some places & keep you white in others. & besides spray on tans don't last as long.

Sensation
Old March 11th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Passenger

How exactly is Mystic Tan applied? Just trying to envision going for an application. Having had 2 dysplastic moles removed, a tanning bed is not an option!
Old March 11th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Passenger

My wife and MIL did spray on tan last year.....YUCK! After three or four days, it looked like blotchy dirt on them both. Certainly not worth the $$. Not sure the 'brand', but it was applied at a salon and was over $40.

My wife and I did the tanning bed thing before our cruise in 2000 and were very happy with how a month of tanning prepared us for the Caribbean sun. We are going again in April. She will have time to tan ahead, I won't, so it's lots of SPF 30 for me.

Have fun.

Karl
Old March 11th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Admiral

The "Good" spray is pretty expensive and doesn't look that bad but my wife did not think it worked that well and it did look a bit differant than a normal tan. Very little orange but as time goes on you do notice a slight orange tint in there. The apply it by having you strip down to either your birthday suit or a G-string, stand in the shower and they spray it on you much the same as you see someone use an airbrush. It takes a little time and they have to do a couple coats. All I can say is thay Syvlia will not do it again even though she was somewhat satisfied.
Jim

Old March 11th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Passenger

the spray we did was like getting into a shower. You have to watch a video first. You put some kind of stuff on your elbows and ankles so they don't get darker than the rest of you. We did it 3 sprays before we went and it was fine. No orange just a nice start. As somebody said you won't scar anybody with your white legs glowing if you do this.
It didn't come off on the sheets or clothes. You do have to wait a few hours before you shower though. We buy a 3 appt package for like 50 dollars.
Old March 12th, 2005, 02:06 PM
tbuck

For the last 3 years I have always done the "mystic tan" prior to vacation. I love the results and have never had a problem or looked orange. I like it because it is safe and you get a good glow, then when you hit the sun, feel free to put on the heavy sun screen to protect your skin from burning. Your fake tan will then turn into a real tan.

Have fun.
Old March 12th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Passenger

I did a Body Glow Bronzer....but it was fairly expensive ($150) and it lasted me a LONG time. It was NOT Mystic Tans. I was NOT orange! I can't even imagine...reminds me of that old tanning lotion called "QT" Tanning Lotion. Remember that one?

It was like getting a massage first, then they did a massaging on of the lotion, then sprayed me. I could NOT get wet for about hours. So I took a shower and shaved right before going there to get it. I did it late in the afternoon....by the next morning, I saw a noted difference. I would say it lasted me about 4-6 weeks. By 6 weeks it was definitely gone. But then I didn't need it anymore as it was warm enough for me to wear a swimsuit and get in the water here at home!

The whole process took about 40-50 minutes. Good Luck with your endeavor to get color before going on your cruise.
Old March 12th, 2005, 10:57 PM
por911

My friend and I did the Mystic Tan before we went to Jamaica, she tans easy and dark,I'm very fair and don;t tan well. Neither of us had a problem with orange at all. We loved it. Pay attention to the movie you have to watch , the barrier cream (for hands and top of feet.).....be liberal and if fingernails are long put it on underside as well. Also, it's kind of cold, second time I started backwards, wasn't as shocking. One more thing, blot in the order that's suggested the first time I didn't and ended up with a little streak down my leg.
Old March 13th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

I bought some spray on at the drug store hehheheee it was horrible (& it wasn't cheap stuff) guess it would be kinda ok as long as people couldn't see your feet Sure it will spray at 'every angle' but it doesn't tell you it will 'spit' gobs out thank gawd it has worn off , applied it during 'jeans' weather After all my visits with the dermatologist, I know there is no such thing as a 'good' tanning bed. Check with a dermatologist for the spray on tan, they may do better than tanning salons, not sure
Old March 14th, 2005, 08:00 AM
ninaclock

Thanks for all the advice, CruiseMates. Tanning beds are not an option for me, either. I've used some drug store tanners before, and I don't like the results. I'm afraid my only choices are Lilly white or Mystic tan.

I have been doing some research on the internet ,as well,and I am finding out that "the stars" love Mystic Tan. Not that I am one to necessarily belive everything I read, especially Hollywood endorsements, but these people make their living using their faces and bodies. I doubt they would risk looking orange or blotchy for a quick tan when they could well afford to have the most expensive tanning treatment available. They use Mystic Tan specifically, and admit that the number one reason for using it is to protect their skin from aging! They can afford to purchase a booth and have it right in their home, so they can tan every week in private. If I had $30,000 spare change I might do the same.

In any event, I plan to try it. It's only $25 for a session and, if you like it, you can purchase packages with multiple sessions for cheaper. It's very popular here in Iowa. Lots of girls using it for their Senior Prom, weddings, or just to shake off that winter white feeling. If there are any other "testimonials", I'm still in the research phase, so please post. I'll be checking back.

Tbuck, Por911, LisaP, BoosterMom and everyone else who has tried Mystic Tan - did you have any problems with salt water? If it makes the tan fade, that's OK - it's going to fade eventually anyway. I'm just worried about uneven fading or streaking.

Thanks everyone,
Nina
Old March 14th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Passenger

Everyone reacts differntly to EVERY type of spray on or self tanner. The DHA affects all skin differently. Try the MYSTIC before you go on the cruise...not just for the cruise that way you will know if you like it.

There really are some wonderful self tanners out there...personally I use Au Courant or SUN by California Sun Labs.

Visit Tan for Less on the web for some great choices.

Oh, and they all fade in salt water and chlorine. Good Luck
Old March 14th, 2005, 10:00 AM
por911

Neither of us had any problem with salt water and fading but, my friend used Nair "After"
and that kind of faded her legs. We tried 2 wks before though, so the next time she knew better.