Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2005, 02:38 PM
BoosterMom

Default Cruisers are everywhere!

Just got back from a short shopping trip to find some reading glasses that were also sunglasses. While shopping at two different stores I ran into people talking about cruiseships. One lady was trying on formal evening dresses (at Ross) and asking people in the dressing room if anyone has ever cruised and was this too dressy! (It really was). She is going on her first cruise on Fascination in a few weeks and is so excited. I told her about this site. At another store, (SteinMart) I happened to mention to a sales lady that I was looking for these glasses for the beach and for a cruise. She just got back from a cruise on the Holiday. Hadn't cruised for 14 years and said that Carnival has gotten so much better and the Holiday was a wonderful ship. Great food, great entertainment. She said they stayed away from cruising for too long. Are booking another cruise late Summer and want the Holiday again!!!! By the way, ladies you CAN find reading glasses that are also sunglasses! YEAH! Reading by the pool now!!
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruisers are everywhere!

Boostermom, Where did you find the glasses/sunglasses? Steinmart? Please share.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 12th, 2005, 08:17 AM
BoosterMom

I found them at SteinMart. Liz Clairborne makes them. I wear 1.75 but could only find 1.5 and 2.0. Different styles run between $14.99 & $16.99. Lillian Vernon has some in a catalog I just received. She has them in a zebra print ($14.98) and I think a polka dot. The customer service reps could tell you or you could look at Lilliam Vernon website. Walgreens sells an aviator style more appropriate for me. I got the 2.0's thinking it would be better to bump up a correction than bump down, especially reading out in the sun. They are pretty neat. They look like sunglasses with a bi-focal type magnifier insert at the bottom. I don't know how the ones at Lillian Vernon are done, if the entire sunglass is a reader (like regular reading glasses) or if they have a magnifier reader insert at the bottom of the lens..............They are getting more popular so I would think the big dept stores might start carrying them. You have to look hard though, they are with the regular sunglasses and won't just stand out on their own.
Old March 12th, 2005, 08:29 AM
patticake

regarding reading sunglasses, i never thought about this. i am a regular glass wearer so i also have pres. sunglasses. recently however i have started to wear contact lenses and i have to wear the tiny half reading glasses even to eat and see the food on my plate clearly. i will need either a full pair of sunglasses with bifocal insert on the bottom or the little half size reading glasses. thanks for the info. i just would not have thought of it. by the way i am sitting here in erie, pa. on the great lake of erie and we are in the middle of another snowstorm with a lot of snow on the ground. thinking of our cruise in july on the victory seems so wonderful. patticake ps. hi there boostermom, nice to see you keeping this message board actively going, as i thought i was the only one who had all of these interesting questions.
Old March 12th, 2005, 08:34 AM
BoosterMom

Hi Patticake. I've been missing you! Yes, I understand about those reading glasses and contacts. My problem exactly. Doc says as he strengthens my distance vision it messes up my close up vision. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who wears reading glasses to eat! Had to put them on last night at my fav German restaurant to tell the mushrooms from the red cabbage! Although it's not as cold in the South as it is in Erie, I am too wishing July and the Victory would hurry up!!!! Let me know if any of you guys have problems finding these glasses. I can get some catalog item numbers and stock numbers for you and maybe your stores can get them for you.

Patticake, this is a wonderful site isn't it? Two days ago, some folks on one of the other message boards helped me find a computer program to help me email pictures from my digital camera. So very helpful!!!
Old March 12th, 2005, 08:38 AM
BoosterMom

Hey, typing boo boo. Walgreens has an aviator style more appropriate for MEN, not me. I personally looked like a bug when I tried them on AND the magnifier part was too small an area.......sorry
Old March 12th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Passenger

I have some from one of my knitting catalogs but they were more expensive. Thanks for telling me about Lillian VERnon.
Norma
Old March 12th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check them out. Oh, and thanks for the clarification on the aviator style...I was wondering if you really meant to say men! I love this site too.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 12th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Born to cruisejp

Default Re: Re: Cruisers are everywhere!

CA Cruiser ; If you cannot find your correct ad power, i.e.say if your normal add power is +2.00, just try on +1.75 & +2.25 and see which one is better for you. It is only a magnifer. I make the Rx lens for an international eyeglass company & I still buy "off the rack" glasses at the flea market. Cheap. I do not like to HUNT my reading glasses. Happy crusin'. jp