Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Passenger

Default one way cruises?

is there such a thing as one way cruises i read somewhere that you can cruise one way fly home from your last port true or untrue?
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: one way cruises?

There are occassionally some repositioning cruises that start in one place and end in another. Some lines even set up their itineraries with several ports where you can join the cruise, or disembark.

However, if the cruise is a scheduled cruise leaving from X , and returning to X, you generally are not allowed to simply get off the ship when you chose.

In fact, in some cases there is a fine if you do so.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 12th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Lorie Ann,
We are going on one of those repositioning cruises Kuki mentioned. May 1st we sail from San Diego, CA to Vancouver, Canada, one way trip. We have stops in San Francisco - Astoria, Oregon and Victoria, Canada. It is only a 6 day cruise but a route we have never sailed. It is on the RCI's Radiance fo the Seas. This is the ships 2nd leg of a repositioning from sailing in the Caribbean on its way to Canada for its Alaska season. Want to join us??? Should be fun.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 12th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Born to cruisejp

CA Cruiser; isn't the air fare greater booking, say 2 different 1 way flights, than booking a rt?
Old March 12th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Admiral

Yes, I'm sure it might be. Lucky for us, we live 90 minutes from San Diego so we only have to buy our flight home. Our return flight to LAX was $280 for 2 ppl and I was told that was a good fare. Some airlines like JetBlue, Southwest, and Spirit have good 1 way fares but not sure if they are offered at the right ports. This is our first time for a repositioning cruise so we are still learning too..

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 12th, 2005, 10:42 PM
borntocruisejp

CA Cruiser; we have been looking at Alaska cruises & comparing the 2 rt versus 4 one way . Will look further. Thanks for the info. Happy crusing. jp
Old March 13th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Yes you can book a ome way cruise. You pay the prorated amount for the days on board. What you cannot do is go from one US port to another and get off without first stopping in a foreign port of call. For example, the Facination cruising from Miami to Key West and Cozumel, you cannot get off the ship permanently until you reach Cozumel. One way cruises are not always available so you would have to check with the cruise line first.
Old March 14th, 2005, 12:12 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: one way cruises?

I've done a repositioning cruise on Norwegian up the California coast, Mexico to Seattle. I had to fly into San Diego then home out of Seattle. In effect, two, one-way flights. Thanks to a good TA she was able to do the flight arrangements for very little beyond a rt ticket on Northwest. I think a lot has to do with making the flight arrangements with the same airline. And...a good TA. I've also done a trans-Atlantic repositioning on HAL from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome. My flight was Detroit to Ft. Lauderdale with a return from Rome to Detroit. The first leg was on Northwest. The return from Rome was on KLM, a partner line with Northwest. The entire flight was treated as a rt booking; no penalties or additional fees, despite a lag time between flights of nearly three weeks. Hope this helps--good travels.
Old March 25th, 2005, 10:21 PM
jugl11

Default Re: Re: one way cruises?

If you're cruising Alaska, the one way itinerary definitely beats the round trip. My suggestion - go from south to north (like Vancouver to Seward). The scenery gets better every day. We did this on Holland America 3 years ago & had a fantastic time!