Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2005, 11:19 AM
bob r

Default NEED CRUISE INFO, 1ST TIME CRUISER

Hi, folks I am looking to take my wife on a cruise for our 10 year wedding anniversary. We have never cruised before and need anyones suggestions from top to bottom on cruises. We are looking to go on the Carnival Inspiration or Fasincation I think out of miami in november for a 3 day bahama cruise. Please anyone with cruise info please email me and let me know what would be a decent room, food, things to do etc on the ship. Anyone ever had cruise interupted because of a hurricane? How can I get free upgrades to higher decks with a window and such. It is just 2 adult. Email me with any help. Thanks.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: NEED CRUISE INFO, 1ST TIME CRUISER

Bob:

If you're cruising in November its unlikely you will encounter a hurricane. Hurricane season is usually over by then.

How much time do you plan on spending in your room? My husband and I spend little time there, just to change and sleep, so we book a 4A inside guaranty. That means we will get at least a 4A room, but have the possibilty of a free upgrade. If you decide to book a specific room, that's the room you will get. If you're the type of person that will spend a lot of time in the room I would look into getting either an ocean view or balcony cabin.

I've found the food and entertainment to be very good on Carnival. I also cruised RCL and have found their food and entertainment to be good also. In my experience the service on RCL was a little better, but I prefer Carnival for the room size, food and entertainment. Having said that I have not cruised the Voyager class of RCL which I understand has some amazing on board activities.

Hope this helps.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old March 13th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Here's a link to our section for "First Timers"
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/firsttime/
Lots of good info there (and in other articles) if you want to do some reading.

In my view, the other factor to consider is that 3 day cruises are generally NOT indictive of a full 7 day cruise. You shouldn't expect entirely the same type of experience.

These short cruises are often very busy, with everyone trying to fit a week of cruising, and partying, into the 3 days. Because of the quick turnovers, and high traffic counts, the cruise lines normally also place their older ships on these itineraries.

Old March 13th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just spent our 10th anniversary on our first cruise. we did a 7 night Mex. Riviera, it was a blast, and a great way to spend some husband and wife time. You can do as much or as little joining as you want. we also had an inside cabin and we didn't spend much time there but it would have been fine even if we did, the gentle swaying of the ship is very romantic. Cruising is a great way to go. everything is made so easy for you so you never feel uncertain about what to do and when to do it. My only concern, is 3 nights really enough ? You may not want to get off and I can guarantee that the week you get home, you will be booking your next, longer cruise lol
Kristine
Old March 13th, 2005, 05:02 PM
First Mate

Dear Bob r,
We sailed on the Fascination in January of 2002 to Key West and Cozumel. The ship
is really nice. They do have these really stupid manikins ( they look like stars) all over
the ship. I vote for throwing them overboard!!!! Anyway the food was wonderful,
service top notch, and the ship is small enough to be able to get from point A to point B
without feeling frustrated. You may want to consider at 4 day cruise, this will give you a
better idea of how cruising works. 3 days is just too short. Novermber is pretty much
past the hurricaine season. We cruised in mid October of 2002, and did not have a
problem. Be sure to read the links Kuki recommened for first time cruisers. These
articles really help to decrease the frustration once you arrive at the port. If you know how
things work, you have less stress. Good luck and welcome to cruising. We just love
Carnival.
Happy Sailing..................
PS. Have a really great cruise. I don't mind answering emails, if you have additional
questions.
Old March 13th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Lynn Shaw

What a coincidence! My husband, daughter and I are taking a week long cruise April 2nd to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. This is our third cruise, my daughter's first. She's 6.

Our first was 7 days, second was 4 and even it wasn't really long enough. You will enjoy it. If you are prone to getting sea-sick, car-sick etc. I highly recommend getting sea bands. They work great. But really the ships are made so solidly - a friend of us was on one during a hurricane and couldn't even feel it - that you don't even know you're on a ship. Definitely check out the site for first-timers. It is very helpful.

What ship are you planning to go on? We're going on the Triumph. Most of them have so many things to do that you won't spend much time in your stateroom unless you want to.

Good luck. Guaranteed - you will be booking a longer cruise next time.

Lynn. 20 days and counting. Woohoo!!
Old March 13th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, I vote for atleast a 4 day cruise but..... cruising is not for everyone. My husband felt 'trapped' (we had a balcony room) so a 7 days was to much for us the first time out. He is going again but on a 5 day so we can take daughter (23) this time We loved W Caribbean & want her to have the pleasure of visiting it. My advise, read read read ALL review boards & there are many of them. To each his own so......... good luck!!
Old March 15th, 2005, 05:45 PM
heatherk

hi, when me and my family went on a cruise we were on the lowest deck (deck4) and it was fine. we had a port hole but thats was fine. my grandparents on the other hand had a balcony it was a really nice room. it really doesnt matter what type of room you have because you are never in there there is to much to do and not enough time to do it.. but it is defentily the way to travel!
heatherk
Old March 18th, 2005, 05:54 AM
JUGL11

Best place to cruise is Alaska. AMAZING! Best time for that is summer, of course. The sea is calm, so there's very little chance of seasickness. Best itinerary is one-way, south to north (like Vancouver to Seward). Best cruise line is ANYTHING BUT CARNIVAL. We were very happy with Holland America.

Good luck, happy anniversary, & enjoy your cruise!
Old March 18th, 2005, 06:55 AM
JoeK

Bob,

I have seem JUG11 elsewhere regarding his unhalliness with Carnival. We have sailed Carnival several times, the most recent on the Glory in late Feb of this year. We have also sailed Holland America last July to Alaska. If you want a little more activity and things going on it is Carnival. If you want it to be very quiet and less stuff going on it's Holland America. We found the freindlyness of the staff to be as good on either and possibly edge to carnival. Food is almost too subjective but I thought Carnival was as good and my wife agreed. Holland had glass coffee cups in the buffett dining, Carnival has plastic (but bigger-less trips to the pot). That said both are fine, we put the edge to Carnival unless you really want quiet or the little things like coffee cups mean a lot to you. We had table mates on the Glory that made a point of B*t*c***** at every supper how on their recent RCI cruise the waiter remembered their name. Whats it worth to you.

It all comes down to attitude, either are fine cruise lines and would do well for you. You will have a good time if you go with the idea it will all be good and when the litttle things come up, and they will, say "that's all part of it" and you will have a great time.

Joe