Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2005, 04:47 PM
PA

Default Duplicate Charges

Has anyone else had a problem with duplicate charges to their Sail and Sign card? I booked a Shore Excursion in January on Carnival's website and it had already been charged to my credit card. I was a guest on the Ecstasy last week and we were not able to make our shore excursions since we wound up being a Cruise to Nowhere!

When I received my Sail and Sign statement on board it had the charges for my shore excursions and then had a credit. for them being cancelled. When I asked the Purser why there was a charge on my Sail and Sign Card when it had already been charged to my credit card he said it was only a "HOLD" on my credit card and that it hadn't actually been charged. When I returned I called the Credit Card comany and they told me that it had been charged.

I haven't been able to talk to Carnival yet, I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue and how it was resolved. I have been charged twice for an excursion I was not able to take, but only credited once. They owe me a refund of the charge that hit my credit card in January.
Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Duplicate Charges

I'd challenge the charge with your credit card company immediately. They should refund that charge until Carnival clears up their mistake!

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 13th, 2005, 04:55 PM
PA

I started to do that, but thought it might effect the 50% refund we are supposed to be getting for the problems the ship had. I thought I would see what Carnival Guest relations told me when I called them tomorrow. I just didn't know how easily these matters can get cleared up with Carnival.
Old March 13th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Carnival's online excursion system is a relatively new addition. I'd imagine that it was a glitch in the system, and not totally unexpected.

Because the cruise you were on didn't reach port I'm sure they'll realize pretty quickly that you didnt' take an excursion <G>

Hopefully they would address the overcharge quickly, but I don't think challenging the charge with your credit card company would affect your discount.

Waiting until Monday to talk to Carnival can't hurt. If you feel like you are getting the "run around" you can still challenge the charge then.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 13th, 2005, 05:04 PM
PA

Thanks for you help. Other then the duplicate charge for the excursion we made the best of the situation. We were on vacation and even though there were a few dissapointments we had a great time. This was also a great learning experience for our 11 year old son and that no matter what life throws at you it isn't always going to go exactly like you have planned! That's life and how you react to situations like this past week is going to either make your life happy or miserable.
Old March 13th, 2005, 05:42 PM
First Mate

This last cruise I took I found a charge on my sail and sign bill that I did not make. I always keep my reciepts and then compare them with the last bill. Well, it was only for $2.88 but I didn't make the charge. My sister in law had that charge on her bill and it was for a coke. I however did not drink any type of soft drink and did not buy a soft drink for anyone with my card. So we went to the purser's desk to pay her bill and I told the lady about the charge and how I keep reciepts and was POSITIVE I didn't make the charge. I asked her to find the slip with my signature and then I would be satisfied. Well, she thought it was pretty trival for me contest that small amount but went in the back with the bill and then came back and said it was removed from my account. When I asked why she said because it was the wrong folio number. However, the bill showed my folio number by the charge. I know some may think it was stupid to worry about, but if 1000 people get charged that same amount but didn't use it that's 2880.00 of money the ship makes plus they still have the product to resell. Not saying the cruiseline was cheating passengers but if just one bartender charged that amount to everyone's card thinking no one would notice such a small amount, what a whopper of gratuatity he gets.

Old March 13th, 2005, 06:18 PM
FRUSTRATED

YES, THIS HAPPENED TO US...I AM DISPUTING IT NOW...
Old March 13th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Admiral

There should be no problem in having the charge removed from your credit card and CCL needs to know as well that is was in error. It will not affect and other type of compensatation you are going to receive. As Kuki said, the online booking is a new practice and it is rather confusing to others not in the Shore Excursion office.
As for the other one, we also always check out account during the week and at the end. We have found a mistake a couple times with them both being in thier favor and also our favor. I am gussing but I think what may happen is the folio number might get one of the numbers wrong or transposed when the bartender or some other employee copies the number or tries to remember it and/or it isn't all that legable when it goes to accounting. I have never had a problem getting it fixed very quickly. There has even been an instance when I truly forgot about a charge and did not remember it until after it had been removed so I had to go and tell them sorry, but you were right so put it back on. <G>
Jim