Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2005, 11:53 PM
can'twaitcruiser

Default lobster on formal night

First time cruisers July 24th out of New Orleans. My question is about the first formal night aboard the Legend. I am told lobster is served in the dinning room (?). My DH loves lobster but does not want to do the formal nights. Is this his one and only chance of getting lobster in the dinning room? If so, maybe I will be able to convince him to don a coat/tie Thank you to all who reply. Great message board!
can'twaitcruiser.
Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2005, 12:02 AM
wes

Default Re: lobster on formal night

wear shorts (no wet bathing suits though)...its not like they're going to kick you out of the dining room...that whole formal thing is just to sell you pictures...
Old March 14th, 2005, 12:10 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Actually the formal nights are to create a nice ambience in the dining room. And it's not likely that your husband would be allowed in shorts, though you weren't suggesting that.

I'm not a lobster fan.... but if your husband is, at least a jacket and tie would be appropriate.

If you want to avoid formal nights, check with your waiter on the first night of the cruise. Lobster may be served the second formal night, not the first. So.. you could dress for which ever night the lobster is served, and eat on Lido deck the other.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 14th, 2005, 05:54 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

Can'twait--I can't wait either!!! (i should have used that login also -- we're going on Aug 7 just a few weeks behind you!---From my understanding lobster is served the first formal night which is Monday. As Kuki said he would not be allowed in the dining room with shorts even on the other non-formal nights, however if he could just dress up a little with a jacket and maybe a tie I think it would be alright. From my understanding on formal night you see just about everything in the dining room from Business casual to tux. but most will wear dark suit, white shirt and tie, or a tux

Old March 14th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: lobster on formal night

Please do not wear shorts to the dining room. There are many of us on board who do believe that the formal night is something special, and we do follow the ship's requested dress code.

To simple "wear shorts" and assume that the dining room staff will allow you to come in is really an affront to the other passengers.

If you don't want to adhere to the ship's dress code for the evening, the opt for the alternative dining.
Old March 14th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Passenger

I am so glad to have found this question! We are first time cruisers in 49 days and we had questions about the formal night also. Neither my husband nor myself are interested in getting all "fancied" up on vacation.

I am taking ONE very simple black dress and a skirt to pair with several tops for evening. My husband is taking khakis and a dark blazer for "formal night" and khakis and shirts with collar for other nights.

As far as people being "offended" at the site of someone in shorts in the dining room...well people CHOOSE what they are offended by and their are worse things in life than someone eating THEIR dinner in shorts.
Old March 14th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, people do choose what they find offensive. However, people also choose to join on a cruise where the ship's policy is clearly stated, and people should abide by that.

There are plenty of alternatives to coming to the dining room in shorts. Also, if you really insist on dining in shorts, then you should probably choose a line where that is acceptable.

It's kind of like showing up at a black tie wedding in jeans and a t-shirt. Not appropriate, and not respectful of the other guests.

The cruise lines provide information about the dress codes fo the evenings for a reason, and people should respect that.
Old March 14th, 2005, 09:12 AM
sno

My husband wears suits and ties to work daily, and I wear scrubs. So, to get all dressed up and fancy was a real treat for me, and a day for him. He still wore his jacket and tie, despite the fact that he really didn't want to. Our kids also followed the dress code and dressed up. I don't know what kind of lobster you're used to in New Orleans, but for me, being a New Englander, I'm used to Maine Lobster with loads of sweet flavor. The lobster served on the ship is actually a rock lobster tail, from warmer waters. It's good, but not as sweet as a lobster in colder waters. If your husband isn't going to be satisfied with one, have him order as many dinners as he likes! It's not a problem. The waiters will bring 2 or 3 if he askes for them. Have him wear simple khakis, a jacket, and a simple tie for one night. Then, go to the buffet the rest of the week. Enjoy your cruise. It is fun. I do enjoy them
Old March 14th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Well said, sno. A tux is not necessary (though I usually opt for that, along with my sons). But khakis, a jacket and a tie fit the bill without too much fuss.

If I came across a bit too strong in my earlier post, blame on the switch to decaf - makes me really cranky in the morning
Old March 14th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

ok, the lobster may not be so great but........... do they serve it on casual nights or through room service on formal night? Is this the ships way of saving money by serving lobster on formal night because they know everyone won't be in the dining room? Why not serve it on the last night to make sure everyone shows up to provide the extra tips? As I have said before, there are plenty of dining rooms, have one room set up for casual dress on formal night so everyone can enjoy lobster. I get so tired of people judging others on these boards because they don't want to play dress up. I paid just as much as the next guy for the cruise which includes my meals. Just because you are fancied up in your WalMart gown doesn't make you better than me. Darn, I would hate to accidently spill my drink on your gown for the 'I am better than you' look you give me on formal night. You may be in a gown, I will be comfy in my shorts but I may have more money than you so don't judge me. I went through that on my Princess cruise, is bull! As Wes said, is another way for the cruise lines to make more money. Reason we are going Carnival this time, hoping it is more laid back than Princess but I know there will be the 'higher than mighty' on all cruises. My money is the same color as yours ..............In Carnivals book it says: ............ For one or two nights, a dark suit or formal attire is SUGGESTED, NOT required but SUGGESTED!!!! Look on the back page under the heading of clothing ................. SUGGESTED ............. as Archie would say, case closed
Old March 14th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Admiral

CherieB
Case still open....Here we go again...This subject comes around about every 2 weeks. I just don't get it. Carnival might be "more laid back than Princess" but they still have the same "rules".

You didn't FINISH quoting the info in the back page under the heading of clothing " in the Carnival book.....Keep reading.....It says in BLACK AND WHITE....

The dress code for other evenings ranges from sport coat and ties to casual resort wear. Shorts and T-shirts are NOT PERMITTED in the dining room during dinner but are acceptable in the seaview bistro.

AND

This is a direct cut and paste from the Carnival Website!

Is there a dress code for the dining room?

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

AGAIN....Shorts are NOT PERMITTED during the dinner hour. This is also specifically noted the the Daily Capers delivered to your cabin to remind those who "FORGET". I have seen men turned away on EVERY cruise because they were wearing short.

If you do your research and read the brochures, there should be no question regarding dining room attire when booking a cruise. It has nothing with making more money or being "higher than mighty". You don't have to pose for formal pictures much less buy them.

Maybe those who don't want to dress up for dinner should try a Windstar Cruise. I don't think they have formal dining.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 14th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

It also says "no shorts in the dining room".

As far as who has more money, you really need to relax. That is not what this is about. All that was said is that there are "suggested" dress codes for certain times. You should respect that. There are also plenty of alternatives available for those who choose not to abide by that dress code.

And please, try to be careful, and not spill your drink.
Old March 14th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Admiral

While the lobster is not always that good onboard ship, (it's not Maine Lobster), it is a treat to most. Formal night one should wear at least a tie and nice clothes if you don't have a jacket but if you do be proper and wear it. I even highly recommed a Tux as it is a special night and one that should be a romantic one with that special person you love and not just a meal you eat because it is dinnertime.
Jim

Old March 14th, 2005, 12:06 PM
can'twaitcruiser

Default Lobster question

Thanks to all who replied to my original question of "If lobster was served only on the first formal night?" Maybe I should have been more specific in my question. Is lobster served on any other nights in the dinning room, or elsewhere on the ship (excluding the restraunts)? Or is the first formal night the ONLY time lobster is available? My husband had never planned on trying to get by with shorts in the dinning room, nor would I let him We would plan on eating at the bufffet or somewhere else rather than dress up that evening. I had thought if formal night was his only option to obtain his much loved lobster, then he would agree to the coat/tie. We are a very casual couple, much more comfortable in jeans and shorts, but we would never spoil anyone's party by underdressing. I didn't mean to spark such a controversy! Each person has a right to enjoy his or her cruise in their own way. I am sure we will all enjoy our cruises, no matter if we dress formally or not. I wish many happy cruises and memories to all.

I hope I didn't violate the rules by posting a new reply instead of continuing the original thread?

can'twaitcruiser
Old March 14th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Lobster question

See what you started, can'wait?

I think we all need a vacation, soon.

Enjoy your cruise and I hope your husband gets all the lobster he can eat
Old March 14th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Relax diverbl, I did not say one word about wearing shorts in the dining room. I am not the cruise ships not abide by the rules criminal. I was saying on the back cover of Carnivals BOOK it says: Casual attire is in order during the day. For one or two nights, a dark suit or formal attire is SUGGESTED. The dress code for other evenings range from sport coat and tie to casual resort wear. Shorts and T shirts are not permitted in the dining room during dinner but are acceptable in the seaview bistro. Should I go on about a sweater if going to Alaska? I quoted what was published by Carnival........... formal attire is suggested (not required) Yes, I know this comes up all the time but I think it is wrong to make people miss dinner in the dining room because they don't want to dress up. Cantwaitcruisers husband has to miss the lobster dinner he wants because he doesn't want to dress up? This isn't right, he paid to have a lobster dinner. There are plenty of dining rooms on a ship, dining room arrangements should be made for the ones that want to dress casual on formal night. When you book, you request your preferences for dining, they should ask then if you plan attend the formal dinner. If I have to pay $6 for a dining room waiter on formal night, shouldn't I be able to eat in a dining room? If not, give me back my 6 bucks. CA, do I understand correctly, the buffet is closed the last night of the cruise? So if I want a meal that day I have to go to the dining room? hmmm isn't that extra tip night? Bet you could wear a thong that night and get by with it. OK, for the record, I am a tipper so don't even go there. Oh yes, I was looked at (by some) like I was trash on formal night on Princess because I was in my shorts.The point I am trying to make is, for the people that prefer casual on formal night, should have a dining room also.
Old March 14th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

We actually agree, Cherie. I think there should be options available for everyone, and yes, just because someone does not want to wear a tux they should still be able to get a lobster if they want.

You are probably right about them asking people in advance if they plan to do the formal night thing. That might be a good suggesiton - make one dining room for the formal types and the other for casual types, and plan ahead.

See? I'm relaxed.

By the way - when are you cruising? I am on the Victory in June with my 2 sons.
Old March 14th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Admiral

I am not sure what night it is exactly and seem to remember in my foggy brain that once it was served on a non-formal night but can't be sure. You should be able to find out when you get onboard for sure what night it will be served by asking your waiter. I don't believe I have ever seen lobster served on the Lido deck by admit that I have never looked because I was always at the main dining room. As for viloating the TOS, gosh no, if you have been watching we are really pretty easy on the rules. <G>
Jim

Old March 14th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

diver you are safe, I'm not on your ship ) 5 day Sensation in May Never know what tomorrow will bring, want to take daughter on cruise to Mexico ) We loved it there in 02. For some, they save their whole lives to be able to take this one cruise. They can't afford a suit, some of these people have prob never tasted a lobster (& btw, I don't want it) but they were finally able to scrape up enough money after the 5 kids grew up to take a 3 day cruise & I think they should have lobster in a dining room ....... Can you tell I grew up in small towns? I know what some of these people go through. Life can be short, everybody is not as lucky as some, let them enjoy &&& i am not wasting a $6 drink on someones suit
Old March 14th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was kinda looking forward to you throwing a drink on me ... a real messy, frozen one, with lots of sticky fruit juices.

Ohhh....gettin chills here just thinking about it
Old March 14th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

eeeeeeeeeeekkkkk diver,,,,,,,, before we get to kinky an get deleted ... M or F ? (shhhhhhhh Jims looking)
Old March 14th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Admiral

Canwaitcruiser, as stated before, formal wear is just a suggestion. I have seen men not in formal wear but Dockers type pants and a polo shirt, still looking nice and they were enjoying their lobster on Formal nights. If he feels comfortabe, go for it.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 14th, 2005, 02:06 PM
BoosterMom

You guys are too funny! My husband said he would never waste luggage space on a tux again. He does always carry a navy blazer, tie and gray pants though. I don't remember when we got lobster on our cruise in January, but I do remember that the other men at our table on formal night (3 of them) had on jackets which they took off and nary a one of them had on a tie, but did have on nice shirts........My husband said he might nix the tie on our next formal night, but I'll bet he'll take one anyway. I've never had New England lobster, but the lobster and prime rib on the Inspiration in January was excellent. I'd also encourage you to try to cold soups. Never done it before, but a table mate always ordered it for me because I wouldn't. "Now eat it", she said. Wonderful new tastes. Relax, enjoy the ride, try not to wear shorts to dining room so you won't have a disappointment and if ya'll start throwing umbrella drinks, I'm moving to another table!
Old March 14th, 2005, 02:10 PM
BoosterMom

Oh, and I've never seen lobster served anywhere other than dining room and definitely don't think it was on room service menu.
Old March 14th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

ok, what was the question cantwaitcruiser? Oh, lobster, I dunno, I don't eat sea food but I hope your husband pigs out on some if he finds it at the buffet ) What drink do you have to order to get an umbrella? I never get an umbrella
Old March 14th, 2005, 02:18 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77

I wore a skirt, and a button down blouse, my husband wore dress slacks, dress shirt and a tie. We didn't feel out of place. I thought it was a nice compermise since I hate anything but jeans....lol

Just have fun!!

Erin

09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday
Old March 14th, 2005, 02:24 PM
BoosterMom

CherieB.

Neither do I, I carry my own little umbrellas cause no one does umbrellas anymore. No reall, I got a big box at Party City for a "Senior Luau" we hosted here last year for our youngest daughter's graduation. There are about 100 in the box and I've got to use them somehow. My husband just about hit the floor when I gave one to our bar waitress in January. I asked her to fill it with cherries and orange slices!!!!!!! He was like, "I can't believe you did that" All kids in college, where else am I going to use up 100 little tiny umbrellas!
Old March 14th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'll bet you were the envy of the ship ... wow the only lady with a lil umbrella drink lmao you should have set up an umbrella stand an sold them
Old March 14th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Yeoman

There is also lobster served inthe alternate dining room. We dined in the Emerald Room on the Glory, even though we did dress formally(celebrating an anniversary) the others in the diningroom wore khakis and collared shirts, and some women wore slacks and nice tops. Resort casual. The lobster was prepared better in the alternate dining room too!

Lesley
Conquest 9/03
Glory 9/04

Valor

Old March 14th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

M here, Cherie. I would never dream about a guy spilling a frozen drink on me. lol