Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2005, 01:08 PM
windycity kitty

Default buying jewelry on Carnival ship

Has anyone gotten any good deals on fine jewelry on Carnival ships? I know they have duty free shops on board, and my ports of call are not good for these high end items, (Belize,Costa Rica and Panama.) Im hoping to find a nice gold ring or tanzanite or something.
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2005, 02:31 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to DPMinc
Default Re: buying jewelry on Carnival ship

They do have good deals, look on the $10 table, and also wait for daily specials.

Paul

Norwegian Dream, Sun, Spirit
Royal Caribbean Grandeur/Sea
Old March 15th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Admiral

I got a great deal on a watch I'd had my eye on back home. It was a really nice Fossil watch.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old March 15th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Passenger

When we were on the Pride and the Paradise this last year, they always had deals. Fossil watches were ALWAYS on "sale"....not a whole lot less than at home in the good department stores...but a bit.

Their costume jewelry looked nice....and very inexpensive. I almost bought a diamond pendant....but was kind of scared of the actual quality...and good thing my hubby discouraged me of buying it since he bought me a GORGEOUS three stone diamond and white gold pendant for Valentines Day! WAYYyyyyy prettier and quality is some of the best!

Have fun shopping!
Old March 15th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I've done very well shopping for jewelry on the cruise ship. In many instances got a much better deal than what I found on the islands. Just know before you go. Look around at home and online. Research what it is you're looking for and make sure what you find either on the ship or on the islands compares. Many times I've found I can buy better quality at home for less.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old March 15th, 2005, 05:29 PM
runway

My wife buys loose emeralds and diamonds and is very versed in quality and price. She went to her reliable sources in the ports and found alot of the jewlery has gone up in price and is about the same in the states. This is set stones. She did get some loose but did buy a 1 carat emerald stone with diamond slide and it was $640.00 she took it to our jewler here who makes alot of our own designs and he apraised the stone alone at 1600.00. So yes you can get good deals but know your stuff. There are great deals on watches and many other selections from $10 on up. Enjoy and know they DO NOT pressure you at all on the ship. They are there sometimes on the walk way but it's so everyone can look and see just like any other store.
Old March 15th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

I bought gold chain by the inch on Princess in 02, it still shines like new
Old March 15th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Captain

I bought a black and gold necklace gold by the inch 9 years ago and it still shines like new.
Old March 16th, 2005, 04:48 AM
Admiral

Thanks for all the info everyone, kind of hoping to get a deal on something 14k, 18k with or without stones or a nice watch. I've heard the sales are best on the last day of the cruise to encourage buying so I'll hold out unless it's something I think they don't have more of. Just figure it's a lasting souvenier.
Old March 16th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Beginner

Never had bad luck with ship jewelry, 3 CZ & Sterling rings ; Swarovski earrings & tennis bracelet; Necklace,bracelet & ankle bracelet by the inch. Bought a beautiful granet & diamond ring in Cozumel which 2 weeks after the cruise the garnet fell out on my desk at work, never had any luck getting reimbursed for cost of remnounting & heightening the prongs!! Live and Learn!! Not stopping me from buying more of course, just more cautious!!
Old March 16th, 2005, 11:03 AM
BoosterMom

On our cruise in Jan. ,25th anniversay, my husband bought me some diamond stud earrings on ship. He had looked in Cozumel at Diamonds International and Tanzanite International. I think all their info just confused him. We didn't go well informed as far the the definites of color and clarity (I have since done my homework). He bought these on the ship because they went into a great deal of detail about the cut, clarity, etc. and gave us all the certificates, etc. They were 1 tcw studs so they weren't cheap, but the fellow I deal with to set stuff, etc. said I got a good buy. He said he would actually have rated them higher in color and clarity that the jewelers for Carnival did. Know your cuts and what to look for as far as color and clarity. Remember, if you buy loose stones on ship or shore excursions, they do not count against your duty free allowance. Set stones do. We bought our girls sterling multi stone bracelets (garnets, topaz, CZ, Amethyst, etc.) on the ship for $49.99, really nice ones with two safety locks on clasp and I saw similar ones at one of our department stores for $150.00. 14 kt gold CZ 2ctw diamond stud earrings $24.99. loose stones were like $10.00 per carat one day. Look at the Caribbean topaz or whatever they are calling it now. Real popular. They will give you a little flyer with specials in it.........
Old March 17th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

I just came back from Carnival Inspiration 2 weeks ago. I bought a white gold/diamond/tanzanite ring for $275. At home it was appraised for over $600. The thing I liked the best is that I have 30 days (think it's 30, anyway) to decline/return.

If I have buyer's remorse, or have the jewelry appraised and feel I got "cheated", I can send it back.

The thing I didn't like is the ring on the ship was a 7 and I had to send it back to Miami to have the stones reset to a 6. They told me I could have it resized at home, but according to the girl on the ship, they would RESET the stones on the smaller size rather than RESIZING the ring. They will also reimburse me for the insurance to send the ring, which only ended up being $3 anyway.

Waiting until the last day is fine, but I almost missed the ring I wanted because I didn't buy it until the last night. I don't think they keep "multiples" of any particular style.

Good Luck,

Lisa
Old March 17th, 2005, 10:58 AM
BoosterMom

Lisa:

I think you're right about the ship not having multiples of certain jewelry. We waited until the last night too and I got white gold diamond studs instead of yellow gold which is what I normally wear. I was initially going to have them reset, but everyone says leave them in white gold. I'm sure they had yellow gold earlier in cruise. We weren't waiting for a sale, we were just waiting to look in Cozumel first. WindyCityKitty, If I saw something I'd buy it then, not wait and IF for some strange reason it did go on sale, I'll bet Carnival would credit you back the difference.
Old March 18th, 2005, 03:53 AM
windycity kitty

Thanks again everyone for the replies. If I see something I just MUST have I will probally grab it up right away. I know you can get great duty free deals eather in ports of call or on the ship. I got a $700 tanzanite in Montego bay for $335 I still love that ring!
Old August 8th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Stay clear of Diamond International or Tanzanite International. Both stores are run by crooks!