Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default florida

Hey folks. Need some info. We are planning a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. We don't know whether to arrive a day early, as my hubby doesn't want to do any sight seeing. Or should we take a risk and fly in Saturday morning? it is an 8 day cruise leaving on a Saturday. What do you say?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2005, 07:24 PM
First Mate

Default Re: florida

We ALWAYS go the day before.
Old March 19th, 2005, 07:27 PM
cali-croozer

Go the day before, even if you don't want to sightsee. Pre-cruise, we usually arrive late afternoon, early evening and just get to our hotel, eat and relax. You will be refreshed and ready to cruise the next morning!
Old March 19th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Another vote for arriving the day before.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 19th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Admiral

The day before is always better and I would vote for that but if required then I guess it would be okay provided you will get there early and you are not coming from one of the frozen states that have the possibility of being shut down by weather. If you do travel the same day also understand that you will be tired and probably become a little grouchy by the end of the day and not have as much fun that first day or maybe even the second. If you go early you are nice and rested and ready to take on the world and have a blast!
Jim

Old March 19th, 2005, 11:02 PM
First Mate

go the day before. lay on the beach, have a nice meal and spend the night at a great hotel. the next morning you will be rested and on time for the cruise. you never know what delay might happen at a airport the day of the cruise too make you late.
Old March 20th, 2005, 01:17 AM
sno

definitly go the day before. makes for a much easier time as you deal with lines at the airport, lines at the dock, and all the hustle and bustle makes for little time for a decent meal. talk about grouchy, and a bit low on the blood sugar. The first cruise we took was out of Tampa, and we arrived the day of, and had to wait for what seemed like a day, when it really was only a few hours. I didn't even think of bringing nor writing a novel for this one, but, being hypoglycemic, and having had nothing to eat in over 5 hours, I was fading, and fading fast. My husband found a vending machine, and managed some nuts and raisins to help bring my sugar to a somewhat managable level. I'll always fly the day before because of that, and, keep a pack of nuts and raisins with me.
Old March 20th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Definitely the day before. That way you don't have to worry about delays for weather, mechanical reasons, etc. I once sat in an airport waiting to go to Bermuda for 4 hours as our plane developed engine trouble and they had to fly another plane in from somewhere else.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old March 20th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

thanks for the info. Now, what hotel,where to go?
Old March 20th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Go the day before. I live in southern New Jersey and my first cruise was out of New York where my sister lives. She lives in Brooklyn and I went the day before the cruise and spent it at her house. For my second cruise, we sailed out of Long Beach, and we got there a couple of days earlier, but that's because we have friends we were visitng.
Old March 20th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Admiral

suzi, click on search and put in fort lauderdale hotels and a wealth of info pops up. We are going again in November. Last time we stayed at the Comfort Inn on Stirling and had a wonderful time but now it has gotten mixed reviews. We are also looking into it because we have a group going.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 20th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Administrator
Admiral

suzi:

Even if your husband doesn't want to do any sightseeing I would fly in a day early. It is a lot less hectic to sleep in, have a leisurely breakfast and then take a cab or shuttle over to the around 11:00 AM.

The other alternative is go in the same day and get up three or four hours before the sun rises, rush to the airport, hope the plane leaves on time, hope the plane arrives on time, rush to the ship. During this period you may end up squabbling like one of those couples on that "Amazing Race" show. It can be somewhat stressful. <VBG> I may be exaggerating but you get the drift.

Take care and have a wonderful cruise and safe traveling, no matter which day you arrive.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 20th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

we squabble like that anyway. Thanks to all who answered.
Old March 21st, 2005, 02:27 PM
Admiral

Imagine this. You are flying in the day of the cruise and you get on the airplane and sit, and sit, and sit. Then the captain calls back and says they will have to change planes because of mechanical problems. At this very point you are beginning to hyperventilate because you may not make the ship.

Imagine this. You get on the plane and have a wonderful flight. You arrive at the destination airport and go to the luggage carousel but don't find your luggage. You wait, and wait, and wait. It never shows up. You go to Customer Relations and file a luggage claim. In the meantime you are losing valuable time of making the ship. You made these reservations on your own so Carnival will not help you in getting your luggage to the ship. You won't get your luggage until you get to the first port....maybe!

Last fall we were flying to our cruise the night before. We waited at the airport forever. Then they told us the flight was cancelled. The next morning they couldn't get us to the ship on time. We chose another airline and left the next morning. We made it. But the hotel room we paid for the night before went to waste. Had we done this the day of the cruise we would've lost the cruise too.

Do you want this much aggravation for your vacation?????

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 23rd, 2005, 10:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Point taken. But you know how men can be. > We have decided to go the day, or maybe 2 before. Thanks you guys.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Arrive the day before. We took a late flight out of Boston. We arrived in Orlando around 10:00 pm. and drove to Port Canaveral that night. By the time we got up the next morning, showered, ate breakfast and drove to the port, we were ready to board. We were on the ship by 12:00 noon.

Post Edited (03-23-05 12:02)
Old March 24th, 2005, 05:13 AM
bjkeen

Come on down, the weather is great.
I'd fly in the day before. That way you wouldn't have to worry about layovers, or your flight getting cancelled. Even though your dh does not want to sight see-Ft. Lauderdale is a lovely place.
Old March 24th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

ALWAYS go the night before in the least!
Old March 24th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Cruisingrandma

We always go the day before the cruise and the day after the cruise. So we r getting plenty of rest before the cruise and rest up before having to fly home also. The best of both worlds.