Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2005, 05:15 PM
myspecialks

Default Lost birth Certificate

Can one cruise without it? My sister just realized she has misplaced her birth cert...what are her other options..she has no passport.
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Lost birth Certificate

No she cannot. She will have to contact the county or state records bureau and obtain a certified copy with the official seal. If she is cruising soon she will need to do it as soon as possible.

This is what Carnival required for proper identification:

"(c) Proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. Any guest traveling without proper documentation will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. United States citizens must produce proof of citizenship in the form of a passport (valid or expired for less than 10 years), original birth certificate, state-issued certified copy of birth certificate, U.S. Military ID, or original Naturalization papers."

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 19th, 2005, 05:32 PM
myspecialks

eeks..forgot to mention that we are leaving this Thursday..and she was born in NY & now lives in FLA. She has FLA> governmant ID..won't do any good huh?
Old March 19th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Familiar Face

Chances are that she can have a copy sent overnight.
I would be on the phone first thing Monday morning...............
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Admiral

It MUST be a birth certificate as well as one other form of Photo ID. You need to contact NY and have them send it overnight. Without she will not be allowed to get on the ship. One more reason for Insurance and to obtain a passport for future use. I wish her the best and hope it makes it on time.
Jim

Old March 19th, 2005, 08:05 PM
myspecialks

Default Re: Re: Lost birth Certificate

She found it! Yipee!
Old March 19th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Whew!! Glad that's over....Now go and have a wonderful time. When you return, get a passport for future travels and put it in a safe place! !

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 19th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Admiral

That's GREAT!! Now you can slap her and tell her that as soon as you guys get back you are going to get your passports. <G>
Jim

Old March 20th, 2005, 07:46 AM
myspecialks

..good advice..I have a passport...my sister is so disorganized these days..she plans on getting at least another certified birth certifcate....
Old March 20th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

If my husband would've given me the passports to put away, i would've put them in our safe box, but nooooooooooooooo, he thought he could do a better job than me. Now they're no where to be found. Thank God I have all the important docs in a safe box, including our travel docs (that he doesn't know about, lol).

I need to get another passport because I'm flying to Mexico in July, and it's best to have a passport.
Old March 20th, 2005, 12:57 PM
jford

GO TO THE CITY HALL WHERE SHE WAS BORN AND PURCHASE A CERTFIED COPY(RAISED CITY SEAL.
Old March 20th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Admiral

I'm very serious about this folks. You really should get your passport as soon as you can now. Very soon you will be required to have one to enter the USA and they will not accept just a BC. It has already been talked about in the halls of Congress and I see it as just a matter of time now with that time getting shorter. I predicted that the other countries would demand a passport soon but it looks like the USA will be the one that requires it for International travel and that will probably include Mexico and Canada as well as the rest of the world. Go ahead and get it now before it is required as will take a very long time because of the sudden increase of applications.
Jim

Post Edited (03-20-05 15:00)
Old March 20th, 2005, 02:53 PM
myspecialks

good point JIm!
Old March 20th, 2005, 04:04 PM
HeidiHo

Since you have to send your BC along with your passport application, I am in the process of ordering extra certified copies so that we don't have to be w/o them while our passports are on order. You never know when something might get lost in the mail either so having an extra copy is a good idea.
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

I hope by the time you get this post she has already contacted NY and is getting her BC Fed Exed over night.....

I do have to ask why is she waiting till the week before the cruise to say something?

I know everytime I have cruised, Carnival and the TA's have all said it a few times YOU MUST HAVE A BC etc.
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Okay never mind just saw where she found it.
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Anyone who is planning on travel outside the United States, no matter the destination and no matter the requirements of the destination country, SHOULD HAVE A CURRENT UNITED STATES PASSPORT. It is foolish to travel without one, and it is painless to get one, so do yourself a favor - get a passport.

If you should ever encounter any trouble while in a foreign country, having your passport will make things much simpler than merely having a birth certificate.
Old March 28th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Khrysta

if they are soon going to require passports, they really need to bring down the price...
Old March 29th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Big Craig

the price will not come down, you do not have to ever have a passport, just do not travel outside the USA very soon.
the same as gas prices never coming down either, you dont have to pay it if you dont want to drive anymore.