Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Passenger

Default September 05 Alaska Cruise

My husband and I and two friends are taking our first cruise on the Spirit in September 05. We're extremely excited and would appreciate hearing from anyone about suggestions for first timers- we're anticipating nothing short of fun and have been reading anything and everything we can get our hands on - and what to expect. The cruise is to Alaska and not too far from where we live now - we're happy-go-lucky Canadians from beautiful British Columbia! Looking forward to meeting other travellers and enjoying the scenery. Any helpful hints would be much appreciated.

CJ
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2005, 02:48 AM
First Mate

Default Re: September 05 Alaska Cruise

cj

congrats on your first cruise and especially choosing alaska and the spirit. i went in sept on the spirit a few years ago and loved it. the ship is very easy to navigate and so beautiful. the staff is wonderful, the food is out of this world and you really can eat all you want 24/7. is is fantastic. are you going roundtrip, south or north bound. what cabin do you have?? it is so exciting, as you have said, to plan your first cruise.. besides the '' first cruise planning experience ''' , alaska is gorgeous and you will be in awe.

bring along a thermal mug, fill it with your favorite drink, find a great place to set and just watch the awesome scenery go by. as far as tours go- well that is everyones personal choice. but i would not miss a whale watching tour ( seeing whales from the ship does not happen often ) and taking a helicopter ride too the glaciers. you will never forget the experience.

do not overpack, think layers ( a turtleneck, hooded sweatshirt, lightweight nylon jacet, and a few pair of really comfy sweaters and pants ( elastic waist bands is a must after all you will eat). also wear your most comfy shoes for the ports. beleive me you do not get dirty and it is very normal to utilize your peices more than once and mix and match your outfits. hey, if you need a t-shirt you can buy a neat one in any of the shops.

the ports --skagway, juneau and ketchikan are very easy to walk around in and plan on doing alot of shopping in quant unique shops that will offer you everything you can imagine.

keep reading all the post here especially in the alaska port of call thread and ask alot of questions. we are here to help you out.

have a wonderful time. you will love the ship and alaska is well worth the trip.

Old March 19th, 2005, 06:54 PM
jugl11

Default Re: September 05 Alaska Cruise

ALASKA! I'm jealous - wish I could go back there myself. If you are in Ketchikan, check out the Saxman Native Village & Dolly's House. Sitka is great - take a hike through the park at the far end of Lincoln St., across from Sheldon Jackson College.

I hope your ship has a wraparound promenade deck.

Bring lots of film & a good pair of binoculars. Have a super time!