Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2005, 01:13 AM
misterfact

Default best cruise ship food

If we can't post the names of our favorite cruise ship chefs-let's at least hear about what ship it was and when it sailed. That way we can do our own research.

I only want to know because the last ship I was on (not necessarily Princess)- the food was nothing to get excited about!

You might want to send your recommendation to: misterfact@yahoo.com
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: best cruise ship food

The food I've had on my cruises hasn't been anything to rave about. The presentation is beautiful, but when it comes to taste, it's a total lackluster.
Old March 19th, 2005, 03:07 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

Personally, having sailed Carnival, Celebrity and NCL in the last 5 years I prefer my food a bit more seasoned (pepper, onion, garlic) to all these ships. However, that is MHO and I can pack my adds and bring them. I think the food on all was good to excellent on all my cruises. I was a bit disappointed in Celebrity as I had read on the boards how GREAT they were. Banquet food is still banquet food and that is what you get on ships with 2000 people sitting and eating at about the same time.

Each ship/line had its pluses and minuses. Carnival has GREAT entree offerings in the buffet (check the general, deli and chineese options), lunch menu , pizzia offerings and dinner menu. NCL does fantastic deck BBQs on sea days and has an interesting and different 3 day rotating breakfast menu. Celebrity offers really good always available choices.

Guess if I do not have to plan, buy on a budget, prepare and then clean up I am usually a REAL happy camper.
Old March 20th, 2005, 11:26 PM
First Mate

The fresh omelets in the mornings.They make them just the way I like them.

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old March 21st, 2005, 12:34 AM
sno

You got that right, I enjoyed the omelets, the pizza was good, and the Chinese on the Glory was fabulous. The deli was great, as I had perhaps the best turkey sandwich. It was warm, on crusty bread, and very tasty. As far as the buffet food, it was okay. Some of my favorite choices were the fried chicken, the roast turkey, gravy and mash potato, the salads were great, the fruit good and fresh as well. As you can see, I'm not much a beef or red meat eater, so I never got to try the ribs. Never found them, but my hubby and son did. Their full bellies are testament that they were good. Fond memories of my weight gain found here.
Old March 21st, 2005, 05:18 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to TC(Top-Cat)

Out of four cruises, the best we have gotten was on the Conquest. However the best deserts were on the RRCL Maj. of the Seas. I understand that food on the Victory matches that of Conquest, so I am looking forward to that.

The worst we got was on the Sensation. Dunno what happened? May have just been a bad week. We also founr the food on the Jubilee to very good.

On Glory - 05-06-06

Sensation,Jubilee ,Maj.of the Seas,Conquest, Victory.
Old March 21st, 2005, 06:26 PM
Admiral

Soups! Carnival has the very best soups we have had anywhere. I will often order two soups simply because they are so wonderful.
Jim

Old March 22nd, 2005, 09:45 AM
Passenger

My b/f and I were a bit skeptical about the food quality last year when we went on our first cruise (Paradise), but we were proven wrong right away. We made it a point ot eat in the dining room all 7 nights for dinner and we even managed to have some lunches and breakfasts there as well. Basically I think the dining room food beats the buffet. I defintely reccomend the pepper steak...sooooooooooo good! I enjoyed the hamburgers, pizza, steaks, potatoes and i lovvvved the 24 hour ice cream! The desserts were pretty good as well....especially the baked alaska!!! We're heading to the Glory in June and I hope the quality of food is the same if not better

Paradise August 2004
Old March 22nd, 2005, 10:15 AM
Passenger

All the food is great but when we were on the Spirit we had the best banana pancakes. The only problem was the "maple" syrup (were from Canada). There is nothing like bananas that are allowed to ripen on the trees! When we booked for the Destiny, we thought we would be smart and bring our own maple syrup....we head down on our first day at sea with our bottle of maple syrup in hand thinking how envious everyone else will be, and low and behold not a banana pancake to be found anywhere!
We are heading out on the Triumph in 2 weeks and I'm still bring my syrup just in case...

Triumph
Old March 22nd, 2005, 01:53 PM
BoosterMom

Carnival Inspirations Grand Marnier Souflee and their cold soups, fruity ones to gaspacho (sp?). Wonderful.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 03:56 PM
Admiral

I go on many ships and the best food I've had was aboard a seven-night Carnival Valor cruise last month. In my opinion they outdistance every cruise line but the very priciest afloat. Everything is seasoned beautifully, even in the Lido buffet. My hat is off to these chefs.

www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old March 25th, 2005, 08:00 AM
JUGL11

Dinners on the Carnival Victory were good. Everything with mushrooms in it was especially tasty. All other meals were disappointing. The lunches & buffets were mediocre, & the midnight buffet was practically nonexistent.

Holland America has much better lunches & buffets, & the midnight spread (every night) is a knockout! Over all, while I really liked the dinners in the main dining room on Carnival, if I had to choose I'd pick the Holland America experience.
Old March 25th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Ray Stoney

I had a couple of "beefs" with Carnival Glory if you've read some of my other posts, but not with the food. The Glory has two dining rooms and split the seating so that the galley is cooking for 4 seatings instead of two. I think it helps them get the food out much hotter and fresher. I found the food in the dining room was always very good from salad to desert. The beef, lamb, and seafood was superb and when I asked for a medium rare steak, I got it. When I commented how much I enjoyed a particular appetizer, another one appeared in front of me. I really enjoyed our waitstaff and tipped them in addition to what Carnival automatically takes out for tips.

Do yourself a favor when eating on any cruise, and try foods you would not ordinarily order at home. For instance, I never tried escargot before and ended up loving it. If you don't like your choice, the waiters will be happy to bring you something else, so take the opportunity to experiment.

We spent one evening in the Emerald Dining room (extra 25/pp) and it was absolutely worth it. The service is over the top and the beef was what you would expect from a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. We reserved it on the second formal night (had to dress anyway and jackets are required in this dining room). I would not skip the dining foom for the buffets.

The Glory's food exceeded my expectations and I'm a bit fussy. Also don't miss the lunch buffets and sushi bar.

We sailed the Sensation previously and thought the food was OK, but was nowhere near as good as the Glory.

Happy sailing.

Ray
Old March 25th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Admiral

I have to agree with Ray on trying dishes that you would not normally order in a resturant. With prices the way they are I doubt that I would have ordered snails or Ostrach Medallions, or Beef Wellington and some others. I can on the ship and if I don't like them I can always order something else without breaking the bank.
Jim