Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Admiral

Default Propulsion Problems On Carnival

I am curious about propulsion problems. I know about the Glory and the Ecstacy problems recently. and have heard that Elation has had similar problems.

I do know that Elation had problems when we were on her in October of 2003, and we missed one port. Incidentally, Carnival offered us nothing when that happened.

Does Carnival have more such problems due to their propulsion system, or do all cruise lines have similar problems?
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2005, 02:57 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly
Default Re: Propulsion Problems On Carnival

EVERY mainstream cruise line has had them in the past couple 3 years.
Old March 19th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Admiral

As Marv has stated, it has happened to all lines pretty equally and more often on those ships that use the Azipod system. I think it was Celebrity that was having a horrible time for a little while when it seemed like a ship a week was having problems. They have discovered some design flaws and slowly corrected them as they came to light on all ships.
Jim

Old March 20th, 2005, 08:40 PM
First Mate

Is the Legend one of those Azipod systems?
Old March 20th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Passenger

Carnival is not the only one this year. the Sapphire Princess is having problem with its turbine engine so she is "limping" and has had to skip a port.

M/V Sun Princess 10-19-2005
M/V Paradise 02-2005
S/S Norway 05-2000
USS Gray 1978-1979
USS Kirk 1976-1978
USS Rathburne 1973-1975
Old March 20th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Admiral

Yes, the Legend is Azipod design but understand she was not one of the first so much of the system is improved over some of the older ones.
Jim

Old March 20th, 2005, 09:34 PM
First Mate

By the way, what is the azipod system?
Old March 21st, 2005, 01:14 AM
borntocruisejp

Default Re: Re: Propulsion Problems On Carnival

I was wondering that myself.......jp
Old March 21st, 2005, 05:59 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

I wondered that myself and did a search on the internet for azipod--very interesting. just put azipod in your search browser and see what you come up with.

Old March 21st, 2005, 08:39 AM
Yeoman

Ships are no different than your car, truck, boat, airplane,or anyother mechanical device. They all need repairs from time to time. They all need maintence from time to time.
I'm surprised how well they keep these ships looking and operating. And being in the ocean 24/7, 356 days a year, its even more remarkable.

Azipod, is what propells the ship through water. There also used to turn the ship.You ever wonder how they can place a ship as large as the Conquest in-between 2 other huge ships? They use the pods to place the ship into tight areas.

happy cruising to all;
david
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:31 AM
Duncan Edwards

Should add 'Holiday' to the list. Sailed from Mobile on 29 Dec 2004 with propulsion problems, having just returned with same problem from previous cruise. Limited compensation to $100 refund of port fees since they changed cruise itinery from Cozumel to Nowhere. Great New Year Cruise - NOT. Ecstacy passengers got 50% refund and 25% discount on next cruise. Holiday sailed again after our cruise still with propulsion problems.
Old March 21st, 2005, 07:05 PM
Julycruiser

Duncan, How can you find out if the ship is fixed before it sails again? Did they announce before you left on the Holiday the ship was having problems???
Old March 22nd, 2005, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Traditionally, the propeller and rudder were different systems, serving two different functions, propulsion and steering. Most if not all of the Fantasy Class ships use a diesel electric version of that system along with independently steerable rudders.

Azipod (Azimuthal Pod) is basically an application of an outboard motor concept. The entire prop motor pod rotates on a vertical axis (Azimuth) for directional control. Even prop rotation can be manipulated in the horizontal plane for pitch control, and the attack angle of the blades can be adjusted to enable direction change without stopping rotation altogether. What further sets it apart from the outboard concept, besides the pod being completely under water, is that the propellers are mounted on the front of the pod. Instead of pushing the ship through the water, they pull the ship. A similar, single motor scheme is marketed for smaller vessels under the name Z-drive. There is even a scheme used on some larger ships where azipods face fixed propellers mounted in skegs to achieve greater cavitation management, thus greater fuel efficiency. One of the large RCCL ships (Adventurer?) uses a 3 prop system. Azipods are mounted port and starboard, but a fixed traditional propeller is mounted on the keel's center line. The larger, newer Carnival ships probably use a similar scheme.

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation
Summit

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Summit 03/06 It's Margaret's fault!
Old March 23rd, 2005, 07:22 PM
Passenger

Here is a link that show the Azipods on a ship. Great concept and works really good. That is why most modern cruise ships do not need a tug or two to dock and undock

http://www.ship-technology.com/proje.../elation7.html

Enjoy

M/V Sun Princess 10-19-2005
M/V Paradise 02-2005
S/S Norway 05-2000
USS Gray 1978-1979
USS Kirk 1976-1978
USS Rathburne 1973-1975
Old March 23rd, 2005, 10:04 PM
Passenger

Let's see if this works...