Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Rsham

Default Self disembarkment

I have been reading some posts regarding the opportunity to carry off your own luggage and get off the ship at an earlier time. We have a long drive ahead of us after getting off the Ectasy in Galveston and would gladly carry the bags if we could leave without the morning wait. Does anyone know if this is possible on the Ectasy? What are your experience with self disembarkment?
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Self disembarkment

It is. You must be a US citizen....nothing to declare...and be able to remove your bags by yourself. Do not put them out the night before.
Old March 21st, 2005, 12:37 AM
sno

It's a hassle, as on the Glory, many took this option, and the crowds were massive, We still made if off the ship, an to the airport in time to rest up before the flight home. I would do it again. Just keep you luggage in your stateroom, and be sure you can carry it all.
Old March 21st, 2005, 08:15 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77

We did it in October on the Triumph. We plan on doing it again in October on the Valor. You feel like a heard of cattle, but to get out of there early is fantastic!!

09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday
Old March 21st, 2005, 08:50 AM
BoosterMom

You can call Carnival or the port in Galveston about self-debarkment. All of the other posts are correct in what they say. I just know that some ports are equipped for self-debarkment and some are not. The only ones I have personal experience with are Tampa and Miami. We like it and actually stay in our room with the doors propped open so we can hear the announcements. We don't gather in the lounge with all the other folks. Remember the elevators will be totally full so you may have to carry, roll, etc. your luggage up and down stairs depending on where the gangway is set up to debark the ship. I personally like it better than putting your luggage out the night before and sitting around on the ship until who knows when, especially when waiting on people who cannot seem to check in with immigration or clear their sign & sail accounts. They won't let anyone off until customs and pursers desk clears all of that kind of stuff.
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:23 AM
tkarfs

Yes, you can self-debark on the Ectasy, I did it in Feb. However, it seems like a majority of the passengers are now taking this option so you actually stood in the customs line longer than you do for your regular time according to your bag colors.

It was also a pain when they finally let ya off, talk about a stampede! Remember, you have to take all your bags and I think some people overestimated their capabilities on how many bags they could truly carry.
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:55 AM
Snorange

We just got off the MIracle yesterday and did the self disembarkment. We went downstairs to the 2nd floor around 7:30am and got in line. We were towards the front. When they announced it, it went fast. We were on the taxi heading for the airport at 7:45 or so. I would do it again. Customs was a joke. We didn't even stop. The guy put his hand out and we gave him the form and kept moving.
Old March 21st, 2005, 04:16 PM
DENISE H

i know they do it on the triumph not everyone can do it if you are american citizen and
if you can handle your bags you can do it they give one hour opening to do it fro
7.30am-8.30am then they closed it down were on one can get off until the ship has been cleared