Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 21st, 2005, 07:37 AM
L BUTLER

Default was i taken for a ride

recently on my first cruise (march 05) my wife and i was to board the imagination in miami fla. after having the greyhound bus driver load everyone baggage at the airport for the ride to the pier a strage thing to me happen upon arrival. as everyone departed the bus we were told by a dock worker ( he did not work for carnival) to verify that out baggage was there (had been placed outside the bus) and to see him upon verification. then after i verify our baggage was there he then stated to all on the bus that we needed to " tip the porter $5.00 per person" this was to insure our baggage made it to the ship.
was this a true charge to incomming persons who are about to take a cruise.
now i figure with a bus load of about 40 people he just cleared $200.00
imagine the profit after 5 buses arrive

has this ever happen to anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2005, 07:56 AM
sls

Default Re: was i taken for a ride

Porters usually want at least $1 a bag. We usually tip $5 for both of us. Dockworkers make big $ I don't know why they have to extort more.

sls
Old March 21st, 2005, 07:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

None of the porters at the drop-off areas are Cruise Line employees, they are stevedores or dock workers. Usually a buck or two per bag is req'd as a tip. In your case it was the "soft blackmail" at work, i.e. if you want to make sure your bags make it on the ship-pay up.
Old March 21st, 2005, 08:20 AM
L BUTLER

Default Re: Re: was i taken for a ride

i have no problem tipping accoringly but yes they do make good money
Old March 21st, 2005, 08:22 AM
L BUTLER

soft blackmail i agree that why i didnt tip him and my baggage made it fine. how was he to know which bages were mines. why does the cruise lines let them get away with this
Old March 21st, 2005, 08:39 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to TC(Top-Cat)

I tip $1 per bag.

Just wondering? What other choice do we have? Can we load it ourself, especially since these are not Carnival employees?

On Glory - 05-06-06

Sensation,Jubilee ,Maj.of the Seas,Conquest, Victory.
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

I drag the heck out of my bags even when they roll they are still soooo full.... but I take them as far as I can get them before I have to pay anyone.... but you better believe I would like to see my luggage again so I do pay the guys to take it!
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:59 AM
First Mate

I think $1 to $2 per bag is very adequate and should guarantee luggage delivery! Service jobs are yucky!

Fantasy Dec 2 Big Easy to Mx
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:13 AM
Cruisingrandma

Just my opinion but::::: I am on vacation and I appreciate the help. I have no problem tipping anyone. I am in the business of recieving tips also. So I guess I understand that I appreciate the tips correctly and I do so. If I dont have to drag around the luggage any farther I am a happy gal... I put aside $50 jsut for tipping porters and hotel help and shuttles and such. Like I said I am on vacation. It's time to pamper myself all the way. The dock workers are there to make a living too. Who are we to say they make too much money already. We all work hard for our money... So do they. It's hot out and the bags are so heavy.... Well Happy cruising....
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:26 AM
julycruiser

Nicely put grandma, tip the porter and have a good time.
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:36 AM
Beginner

I would definately tip a porter to take my bags on the ship, as I am sure the majority of cruise passengers would. That being said, I would report a porter who would extort tips from passengers (with the threat of their bags getting lost).
Can you imagine going to get your hair cut and your stylist telling you that you may get an undesireable cut unless you tipped appropriately?!!!
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Who would you report the porter to? Let's face it folks, in most major US ports the Longshoremen (porters) are unionized and this is one of the last few places where labor and the mob are one in the same. Porters pay a kick back to the guy who schedules them to work the juicy jobs (like cruise ship embarkation). The guy you are complaining to is the actual problem not the customer service department.
For $4 or $5 this is not a time to take on the world. I'm not saying it's right. It is not.
But, there is the reality of what it is and what you can do about it.
If the passenger rocked the boat so to speak , his bag might get left onshore. If the Cruise line rocks the boat , maybe the bags aren't loaded expeditiously (or maybe it's the supplies) and the ship sails late, if at all . For $4.00 , pay up and relax, you are on vacation.
Old March 21st, 2005, 12:41 PM
sls

I'm sorry longshore man make enough already. I think the tip belongs to the people on the ship that schlep the luggage up the narrow corridors on flimsy hotel type carts. Those are the people who are going to make sure you get your luggage.

sls
Old March 21st, 2005, 12:47 PM
julycruiser

all this fuss over a buck...come on folks...you're on vacation...enjoy yourselves
Old March 21st, 2005, 01:12 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to TC(Top-Cat)

I don't mind tipping the porter as I appreciate their service. I usually have two bags and have paid up to 1.50 per bag.

What I do have a problem with is the threat. At that point I would say where is luggage hold? My baggage is on wheels for my convenience. They also stack nicely and I have pulled them both with no problem. I would roll it there myself. However on 4 previous cruises, I have never seen that as an option.

Bottom line, tipping is appropriate, but threats are not. It should be reported to the cruiseline. If there answer is they don't work for us, then tell us how we can load our own if so desired.

On Glory - 05-06-06

Sensation,Jubilee ,Maj.of the Seas,Conquest, Victory.
Old March 21st, 2005, 02:48 PM
cali-croozer

I agree with TC......it's not the $5, it's the way he went about getting it. I think most people do tip $1 per bag and, probably round up (3 bags - $5, for example). Reminds me of my parent's taxi trip from the Tampa port to the airport. The taxi prices are fixed and high anyway ($20) but when they got to the airport, the driver demanded a tip. My Dad gave him $5; then he bothered my Mom. She didn't know my Dad had already handed over $5 so she gave him another $5 to get rid of him. Terrible person to take advantage of people.

Family cruiser........I don't think there is a choice to handle your own luggage unless all of your suitcases fit in the carry-on x-ray machine........do you know something I don't.......please tell!
Old March 21st, 2005, 04:02 PM
DENISE H

when we went on last cruise out of miami we pay them $1.oo dolllar a bag
Old March 21st, 2005, 10:18 PM
Admiral

Yes, this happened to us in Miami too. I don't mind offering a tip, but when these guys blatantly demand a $5 tip with the implied threat that if you don't, your bags will not make it onto the ship, then that is extortion. We are not looking forward to sailing out of Miami again.

donna

Old March 22nd, 2005, 06:03 AM
Familiar Face

We sailed out of Miami last month and didn't have a problem.

Being a full size adult (6'4" 265+) I would have no problem reminding them that if my luggage does not make it on the ship I will see you in 7 days to see what happened to it...........
Old March 22nd, 2005, 01:56 PM
cali-croozer

familycruiser..........that is my dream, to have all carry-on's! Hasn't quite happened yet, but I think we do pretty good, compared to the mountains of luggage I see in front of some cabins! The things that take up the most space are the mens wear and shoes (traveling with husband and 2 teen boys) and the beach stuff (snorkel gear, without fins!). Those things take up 1 large and 1 small suitcase. We mix and match most of our clothes, so the rest doesn't really take up much.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 03:52 PM
Admiral

The porters in Miami are HORRIBLE ........... I've complained to cruise lines and they say they can do nothing.

www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 06:07 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams

I gave the porter in Miami 5.00 for my 2 bags and he called me a beautiful angel....
for that ..I should have given him 10.00 ...hahaha.

I have no problem tipping anytime ... especially since I pack HEAVY!!
I can't drag those bags all over.....

Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002
Old March 28th, 2005, 05:54 AM
L BUTLER

i thank the so many for their response. a few people understand my thoughts on it and a few people here is disagree with. but that is life your not going to agree 100% with everyone.
yes im on vacation and its time to relax.
paying someone to perform a service should never be a problem.

but i still think this is just a way for some guy to catch people who may not know better into giving him a fee for a service he is already paid to do.
Old March 28th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Dropping off my bags I used to tip all the time until I really watched them and all they did was take the bad out of the back of my truck and turn around and put in in a huge container sitting right behind them. I tend to do it myself now as save a buck a bag for moving it an extra 2 feet. I have only been threated once in Miami where I assured him that if anything happened to my bag such as becoming lost he also might become 'lost' when I returned. <G> The only other time was in NYC when a large Longshoreman demanded my wife allow him to handle our luggage and when she told me what he said I had a 'chat' with him that convayed if anything happened to my bags such as being torn, accidently dump into the river etc. the same would befall him. I'm a very easy to get along with person but I do not tolerate people that threaten others or extort money from them and I will stand up to them. It's your choice and quite frankly I have a tendency to tip the guys that bring my luggage up from the hold as they are the ones that actually work and deserve a tip. When I see them bringing luggage up I give them $5-10 and describe my bag to them and my appreciating for getting it safely to my cabin. It often turns up very quickly, in great condidtion and usually in my room and not dumped outside the door.
Jim

Old March 28th, 2005, 01:34 PM
mara

We had this experience in Fort Lauderdale. The waiter held out his hand for a tip and stated quite blatently that this could be the last time we see our luggage.
Certainly did not start the vacation off with a bang!!!!!
We now load our own luggage, not that we don't want to tip but hate the intimidation factor and we have seen passengers whose luggage never made the ship. Could this be the longshoreman's fault?
Old March 28th, 2005, 08:29 PM
First Mate

I was also wondering if we could do our bags ourselves. Of course I don't know where we would take them to. We are going out of NYC.