Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 21st, 2005, 04:11 PM
Shiela Blanchard

Default First cruise 10/05 on Conquest-advice?

This is my very first cruise in Oct. 2005 on the Carnival Conquest? I have read alot of the messages and found alot of helpful information! Our balcony room is on the right side (facing the front) on the upper deck (around the middle)- any opinions? Is that the right side to see coming into the ports? I have read alot of people talk about motion sickness and how it's worse on certain levels??

Any helpful information about the Conquest would be GREAT!!! I am taking a 9 yr. old and a 4yr old. - anything about Camp Carnival?

What's fun to do with that age children off shore?

We can't wait- my mother is going with us and it will be everybody's 1st cruise!
Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2005, 04:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: First cruise 10/05 on Conquest-advice?

What date in October? We are Oct 2nd on the Conquest. Room on the Spa Level. I'm a little worried, too, about motion way up there.
Old March 21st, 2005, 04:52 PM
Admiral

Right side facing forward is the starboard side of the ship (left is port side). This has nothing to do with the direction from which you approach, leave or dock at each port.
You will love you balconey room , be sure to warn both children about climbing.
Mid ship cabins will have the least motion, upper deck maybe a bit more than lower , but not that you would notice.
Is anyone in the family subject to car sickness/motion sickness? You would know it by now. If they/you don't get car sick you will not likely get motion sick on a ship. Go to a health food store or grocery store and buy some fresh ginger. Makes a great motion sickness remedy and is safe for the kids. Look into Sea Bands (elastic bands worn on the wrist with little bumps that press on the pulse points). They work as well . Sold in pharmacy , same dept as other motion sick remedies. You will probably not need them.
Camp Carnival is usually so much fun some of the kids don't want to leave. They do a great job with the kids.
Where does the cruise go? This way we can advise you on what to do on shore.
Old March 21st, 2005, 06:04 PM
Yeoman

If I remember correctly we dock in Jamaica on the Port side. Cozumel was also on the Port side but this dock is parallel to the port so it could go either way. We tendered in Cayman (bow towards the island) so you can see from either side of the ship.

Don't miss the sunsets or docking in Jamaica! The swim with the stingrays was a blast! Some kids were afraid at first but soon learned to love them.

Getting around the ship is fun at first. To avoid the traffic, go all the way to the bottom deck to get from one end to the other. It's easier to keep an eye on the kids that way too!

You can order cookies from room service to take with you onto the islands. Kids never fail to get hungry when you least expect it! You can also grab a piece of fruit at the buffet to take with you.

Holiday May 2000
Old March 23rd, 2005, 09:09 AM
Shiela Blanchard

Default Re: Re: First cruise 10/05 on Conquest-advice?

Thanks for the helpful advice! None of us have ever been car/motion sick before so hopefully that is something that will not be a problem.

We are stopping at Cozumel, Montego Bay and Grand Caymans. Is it best to book excursions thru Carnival or do it yourself? We just like doing a little sight seeing and shopping but would still like to be able to do adventurous things also. ( well at least what you could do with a 4 yr old)
Old March 23rd, 2005, 12:09 PM
Yeoman

My opion only - I feel that Grand Cayman and Cozumel are safe enough to book on my own. Montego Bay, on the other hand, was scary enough for me to spend the extra money on a ship tour. Some of the ship tours in Jamaica involve a long drive that may bore a 4 year old. Dr's Cave beach is only a few minutes from the port (take a taxi). I felt safe at that beach. ??

Holiday May 2000
Old March 23rd, 2005, 12:46 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Rob M.

I was just on this cruise in Jan. Lots of info in my cruise review in the cruise review section of this website, check there. Lots of photos too!

Regarding the decks and room location. You are on the Starboard side of the ship. When you pull into Jamaica you will not face the island from your side of the ship, the port side faces the dock and the island. In Grand Cayman you will tender in on a smaller boat. In that port your side of the ship will face the island. In Cozumel the ship pulls straight into the dock there and again your side will not face the island, the port side faces the island there. In New Orleans your room will face the city and the pier, the port side there faces the river and the bridge.

You have a good room location, prob not too much movement. The seas were rough for use the first 2 days at sea, but they got better. Regarding the seasickness when people say that you know if you are prone to it by if you get sick in a car they are WRONG! I never ever have gotten motion sickness in a car or on an amusement ride but once on the ship I did get sea sick. The free pills that they have in the infirmary work like a charm and I felt much better after taking them.

The Conquest is an awesome ship, it is so big! Have fun and make sure you read my cruise review for the Conquest for more info. E-mail me if you have any questions.

mngopher2004@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Rob M.

Crown Princess - Southern Caribbean 10/27/2007

Freedom of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean 2/24/2008

Radiance of the Seas - Hawaii Circle Cruise - Fall 2008

Past Cruises:
Grand Princess - W. Caribbean - Jan 2006
Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - Jan 2005
Radiance of The Seas - September 2006 - 14 nights R/T Los Angeles to Hawaii
Old March 23rd, 2005, 11:00 PM
Captain

Default First cruise 10/05 on Conquest-advice?

A balcony anywhere on the Conquest is a good spot to watch the ship depart N.O.
I also enjoyed the trip from the port, down the mississippi, to the gulf.
It takes about 8 hours, and depending on the time of the year, (sunset),
you can see lots of interesting sights on the banks of the river.
We also woke up early on debarkation day to watch the river as we headed back north.
I have never had any kids in Camp Carnival, but they sure appeared to be having a good time. The most important thing I can recommend is to just relax and let the cruise
happen around you. You will have a great time.