Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 22nd, 2005, 06:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Back w/ funny stories

Well I just returned from a 7 day cruise to the Western Caribbean on Victory. First let me start off by saying the cruise was great except for our waitress, but she had a lot of tables. I was known by my first name by everyone of the hosts I met. I ran into a bar tender who was our waiter last year and he remembered my name.
Okay to the funny story. I was always wondering how people met on cruise lines out of cruisemates especially if you didn't make a specific time. Well there I was sitting at the bar having a drink, when a gentleman sat down, conversation was struck up and we talked about work, life and he then said oh what is your name I told him that it was matt. I asked his he stated his name was Gary. I recognized that there was a Gary that had made a post on one of my posts about being on the Victory. I said you aren't from Conn. are you? he said yeah, I then asked if he had heard about Cruisemates and he said yeah, I told him my screen name and he told me his and it was him. It was so funny but from that day forward I always saw him around and we laughed and talked all the time. I told him I would post this message, Gary hi and I hope you had a safe trip home. Anyone else have weird story like that.
I also ran into a kid that I worked with 5 years ago in a small town in Maine, I was his boss. It was a great cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2005, 06:46 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Back w/ funny stories

It is a small world. I live in the Midwest. I was on my honeymoon in Hawaii. I was at a luau one evening and I heard someone behind me in the dark whispering Libby is that you. I turned around to see a cousin that I had not seen for 10 years as she lived in California.Could hardly believe it. She was staying at the same hotel and was at the same luau.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 09:02 AM
HeidiHo

Before our cruise on the Pride 2 years ago, I posted regualarly to a roll call thread. We had made arrangements for a meet and greet but only 2 of us showed up. I figured that I'd never get to meet the rest of the posters but somehow, we managed to meet almost everyone by the time the cruise was over. I met one woman because she won the bottle of champaigne at the past guest party. I recognized her name when it was called. I met another woman because she overheard me talking to my friend and I mentioned that we hadn't met so and so yet. She heard her name and approached us. Before long, the people I had met were meeting some of the others and then pointing them out to me so I could approach them. I think in the end I had met all but 1 poster to the roll call thread.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 11:27 AM
Phil & Liz

I went on a cruise in Tahiti in 2000 and met a lady on the ship. Never called or wrote after the cruise.

Three years later we meet again in a hotel elevator in Houston ! Both going to the Ren Fest that weekend.

Amazing!

Phil

10/24/2004 Elation

4/24/2003 Jubilee
Old March 22nd, 2005, 11:37 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Back w/ funny stories

This may not be the same, but on our cruise on the Glory last week, we ran into our headwaiter from 1-year ago from the Triumph. It was really nice to see him. He saw our kids first and they brought him to our table and he said do you remember me? Of course we did, and were amazed that he remembered us.
Remy
Old March 22nd, 2005, 01:49 PM
BoosterMom

Matt:
Glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise. How did you like the Victory? We were on Inspiration in January and got late seating which we didn't want. Our maitre'd changed it before the first night. We get to our table and everyone there had done the same as us, changed their seating. Wonderful folks. As we were all telling about ourselves, we discovered that one of our tablemates and her family were from the same very small town in Southern Illinois where my hubby spent his elementary and some high school years. FIL was in Air Force and they moved around a good bit. They spent two "tours" in this town. We have gone back to catch up with some of his old friends. We enjoyed catching up on some of them with our new friends from our dinner table.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 07:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Booster- I've been on Victory twice and I loved it. The only complaint was I thought it would be great that I was on the 10th deck the Panorama, but it wasn't at night it seemed it rocked back and forth a lot more than deck 7 where we stayed before. It made 2 beers feel like a case. lol
Old March 22nd, 2005, 07:13 PM
BoosterMom

Matt: You got your money's worth out of those 2 beers then didn't you!! Thanks for the nice post for Victory. So higher up does rock more?
Old March 22nd, 2005, 08:24 PM
Admiral

Matt, I "met" someone here on CM before our last cruise, and we promised to look for each other once onboard. (we exchanged family photos). Imagine my surprise, when sitting in the waiting area before boarding began, I heard my name called from the row behind me! She had recognized me, from the back of my head!!
We had a great cruise, she and her husband spent alot of time with us, and we still correspond!

donna

Old March 23rd, 2005, 07:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Booster- It did rock more plus we kept hearing really loud bangs, the big joke was that we had hit a whale or an ice berg. It was nice being so close to fight over a chair or if you had to go back to the room, but to sleep it was such a pain.

Donna- She recognized you from the back of you head, you might want to talk to whoever takes your families photos. lol jk.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 07:11 AM
Passenger

loved the victory. we had the first room by the lido deck. it was a handicapped room, so the bathroom was quite large. we were upgraded and thought we hit the jackpot. but, the exit door to the lido deck made a loud sound when closing. we complained about it and after two nights, we were upgraded again. we wound up on the top deck and found that the movement was more noticeable as you went higher on the victory. we leave sunday on the valor. i'll let you know about that.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 08:15 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.
Default Re: Re: Re: Back w/ funny stories

As I have reported here before, when we were on the Victory end of last year, we noticed incredible movement with the ship. If you had breakfast in the Pacific Dining Room, you could literally feel the motion and throbbing of the engines beneath you (this dining room is at the back/aft the ship).

Lots of people were seasick and yet the sea was as calm as a millpond (Eastern Caribbean route) and yes................ the further down in the ship you go, the calmer it will appear.

Being upgraded may sound nice but many times you are just going to be put higher up and on the Victory for sure, that does make the sensation of movement far worse.

Regards,
KG
Old March 23rd, 2005, 08:17 AM
Admiral

After "talking" with lots of folks on the boards I found myself standing in line behind a gentleman and his lovely wife at boarding. He heard me talking to my son and knew I was a new cruiser. He turned and was explaining what forms we should fill out and how the boarding pass worked. He showed us his boarding pass as an example and I noticed his first name was Thomas.

I said "You couldn't be the Thomas from the CM board could you?" Well he was and he recognized my name from the boards, as well.

We saw Thomas and Mrs. Thomas throughout the cruise and it was great to get some seasoned advise from an old pro like Thomas!

My son thought Thomas hung the moon and was the "coolest" man he'd ever met!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old March 23rd, 2005, 08:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

I can honestly say EVERY single cruise I have ever been on I have known someone on it.... it's strange! Not that I hung out with them or wanted to even see them again in my life but I have ran into someone EVERY single time.... it's odd......

But remember I am in Florida so a lot of people cruise!
Old March 23rd, 2005, 09:38 PM
Penny Mason

I am cruising on the Conquest in 9 days and we have a room on the Panorama deck. We have always been on the bottom of the ship before and thought this would be great to be on top for once. So I guess that I should expect to feel the movement of the ship more up there than before? On our first cruise, RCCL Sovereign of the Seas, we were on the bottom of the boat and still had one night that we about fell out of bed because the ship was rocking. I hope it is not that bad on top. Anyone been on one of the top decks of the Conquest? If so, please advise.
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Erin mcflygirl

I was on the same cruise. I am from Maine as well. I ran into a few people from Maine. Do you remember the guy that was wearing the bucket on his head? YUP he was from maine also. Too funny. Erin
Old April 4th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Erin mcflygirl

Guess I wasn't as through as I should have been. I was responding to Matt from Maine who was on the Victory on March 13-20th..
Old April 4th, 2005, 06:39 PM
BoosterMom

Shelley:

Yes, it's a small world. I didn't live in So. Il, but hubby did. I'll ask him if he knows where Herrin is. He lived in Carbondale. I love to hear stories about his childhood in Carbondale. It's still a lovely town and the surrounding towns are really nice too. We live in GA now, no one left in Carbondale, but we go back every couple of years to see his old friends. We'll be on the Victory late July.

Erin, I'm sure if Matt from Maine re-reads this thread, he will see your post.
Old April 5th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Yeoman

Penny,
The wife and I sailed on the Conquest in 2003, on the same deck. Our room was in the back of the ship (aft) .We never got sick or even close. What we felt was more of a vibration than the usual up and down. I feel that most of that came from the prop's on the ship.
We had a wonderful cruise, and a great vacation. Even though we had a tropical storm that followed us everywhere we went, it was still a great cruise.

May you have calm seas, and clear skies;
david
Old April 9th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Erin- I was the guy with the bucket on his head, I had everyone sign it and it turned out to be a great time. I was on the travel log video a bunch of times. You weren't the one that was hanging out with Brian and the other guys. I think I remember you, I think that you let me wear your hat but I could be wrong. I was the bucket guy and I got a trophy for it on Friday before we got off.
Old April 9th, 2005, 10:03 AM
CherylR

MaineMatt,
Wish you were going on our cruise May 1 on the Valor! My husband and I are both 40 but once on the ship he lets loose and is usually the one with the bucket on his head. He will participate in almost anything not only to have fun but to ham it up for the video log diary. We bought our video diary 2 years ago from the Victory when he participated in the Men's Hairy chest contest and still watch it and crack up. You should join us on the Liberty the last week of April next year...that is our next one! You can share buckets together! HA HA. Cheryl
Old April 9th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

I had a blast, tell your husband to bring a sharpie marker and you have everyone that wants to sign it sign it. It was so funny and by the end of the trip people knew me that I didn't even know. It was a great time, I was on the Victory last year also which week were you on then. Well have a good time.
Old April 9th, 2005, 10:56 AM
CherylR

Matt,
we went on the Victory the first week of May last year. Had a blast!
Old April 10th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Oh we went last year in March on the 7th. That is where I first witnessed a bunch of guys we were partying with started to wear them, we all said if we ever went on another cruise we would bring back the beer bucket. Well I was the only one of that group that went but I brought the bucket back. lol. Have fun.
Old April 10th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I LOVE stories like this - and not just because you met each other on CruiseMates. It is because we knew when we named the site CruiseMates that things like this really do happen -- ALL THE TIME!

People DO meet online and become great friends and people do meet on ships and become good friends. The idea of combining the two possibilities was exactly what this site was created for.

I also run into people I know on ships, overseas, and in airports all the time. It really is a small world.

And another thing - with the opportunity I have had to move to my hometown and look up old friends, I can tell you how much some of them look the same in appearance and how many of them have changed.

I'll bet we would all be absolutely STAGGERED if we could realize how many people we interact with on a daily basis we may have known from somewhere else at an earlier time.

Old April 10th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

All the cruise ship secrets on Travel Channel right now 1:00PM Eastern time. The elation is on now.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old April 11th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Erin mcflygirl

Hahahahah too funny! No, I was not the one that let you wear my hat. I was with another girl and two big ( 1buff, 1 short and fat lol) guys. Remember the guy that worked at foreplay sports in the old port.. Thats us!!!
Old April 11th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Erin mcflygirl

Matt: were you wearing pink shorts that said spring break on them??? Let me know I have a pic for you if it is you. Hahah
Old April 11th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Erin mcflygirl

I mean blue shorts.....OOPS. --E.
Old April 12th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

NO weird shorts for me, I was the one with the bucket on my head. I had blue and white shorts on one day but they weren't those tight blue spring break shorts or the cut off jeans some one was wearing. I know I was wearing a bucket but tight shorts I don't think so. lol. I remember you guys talking to me because I think it was you that approached me and one of the guys said that he worked a fourplay and I told him I knew where that was. It is funny that you say that because we are headed to the Old Port this weekend with a buddy of mine home from the military, we will probally end up at fourplay too. Let me know where you guys first met me. I have a bunch of pictures and I don't know if you guys are in them. Oh and if you remember the deck party I was the one with the bucket on my head, video camera and a red shirt. ( oh wait I was the only one with the bucket on my head.) Well have fun.