Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Coralb
Default Best of St. Thomas shopping &Beach?

July 8th. we will be leaving in the legend. One of the ports of call is ST.Thomas. I would like to get some shopping in and my sister-in-law loves the beaches. I'm trying to compromise with her. Do any of you have experience with this port?We will be there 7am-6pm. What time do the shops close? I have wasted more time trying to access certain boards such as cruise critics message boards they are a mess to navigate. I will keep my eyes posted here and will look forward to hearing from you. My sincere thanks on your replies. Have a good day.
Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Gail F.

Default Re: Best of St. Thomas shopping &Beach?

I have been to St. Thomas, and the stores do not open until 9:00a.m. you are much better going to the beach by taxie to either Meghans Bay or Saphirre Beach first, spend several hours soaking up the sun,then come back to the ship have lunch, shower and head back to the shops, that is what worked for us. The shops by taxie are only about ten min. away., and they have some right off the ship also.

Enjoy yourself Gail
Old May 30th, 2005, 01:22 PM
mikee

been to st.thomas about 15 times and still think that coki beach is the best for snorkeling as it is right next to coral world(an underwater observatory so alot
of fish hang around as they know the food will be plentiful. you can go to the beach for 4 or 5 hours then back to the ship to change and eat. there is the havensight mall
right at the pier and it's only about 5 or 10 minutes into town by taxi and stores are open until 5 or 6. if you are buying any type of alcohol to take home be sure and purchase
it before 2 and the store will deliver it right to the ship and will be delivered to your room on the last day of the cruise.
Old May 30th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Coralb
Default Re: Re: Best of St. Thomas shopping &Beach?

Thanks so much for your response. Were the shops so-so or did you actually get good deals on anything? I was there many years ago about 15 yrs or so,all I remember was I was able to get a pretty necklace gold with different colored genuine stones at that time it was about 75.- dollars.
Old May 30th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Cora Baxter

Thanks for your response. Would you say that the mall had good deals there?What time did the mall close?
Old May 30th, 2005, 08:54 PM
mikee

cora, the shops on the pier are almost all duplications from downtown with
a few exceptions. you should know what you're looking for and what it costs at
home. also I have found a lot of better bargains at stores that the ship doesn't
reccommend as I'm told that the larger stores give the ships kick backs on all sales,
don't know if it's true but makes sense to me. if you see something you must have buy it because you might not find it in another port,but make sure it's what you want and the price is right. If you want e-mail me and I'll tell you a store I've used for about 12 years
and have always been satisified with. If they have what you want I'm sure the price will be right .
Old May 30th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

COKI BEACH! nothing more to say. Go have fun. Bring some dog bones as the fish will eat it and surround you . Its cool.

As for shopping I did look some at he pier stores but, found St Marten better.

Carnival Valor Western Carribean 04/30/2006
Old May 30th, 2005, 09:36 PM
jfd

I would vote for sapphire beach, its is lovely and there's still plenty of time to shop. its definitely worth it the amount of jewelry is overwhelming. havensight is fine as well if you don't get downtown, you will also have time to hop on the tram up to paradise point right across from the pier. the view is great. get off the ship early and go to the beach first. we came back to the ship, showered, ate and went downtown. on the way back I went up to paradise point.
Old May 31st, 2005, 06:58 AM
Cora Baxter

Great thank-you,please send me the name of the store you shop at. Your right on the stores getting kick-backs . I think the same is true for tours I booked two and just read that I could have went on the bacardi tour on my own. It pays to come to these boards you really can save a lot of money.
Old May 31st, 2005, 07:01 AM
Cora Baxter

Are you telling me you that you were in the water feeding the fish?lol
Old May 31st, 2005, 10:12 AM
Gail F.

also send them to me also, I also feel that carnival gets a kick back, thats why they give you that little extra gaurantee for so many days if you fill out the form, at the end of the trip it is so they know what you bought and at what store (my own opinion) . but it makes sense.
Old May 31st, 2005, 08:48 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to TC(Top-Cat)

Coki Beach is beautiful and is also the only Free beach (I think). We did a tour on May 5th with Godfrey. After our wonderful tour, which included downtown shopping and a drop off at the beach for $20.00 pp. Then he cam back later and picked those up who were left at the beach after he dropped everyone else off at the ship. I personally found the shopping right there at the ship to be better than down town. There are a whole lot of shops there.

Coki Beach had crystal clear water with a nice beach and an area of natural rock formations. Meghans Bay is also beautiful. the price is $10. PP and it also has the nude option.

I have pics of both if you are intrested.

Have a great cruise!

On Glory - 05-06-06

Sensation,Jubilee ,Maj.of the Seas,Conquest, Victory.
Old June 1st, 2005, 08:45 AM
Admiral

we prefer the beaches over at St.John Island they are gorgeous. go to www.vinow.com for some great info on beaches & the water taxi. You have to take a cab from the pier to Red Hook Harbor where you pick up the water taxi over to St. John Island then you grab an open-air jitney cab to the beach, lots to choose from, great snorkeling also. We go in the morning for a few hours, come back to the ship, drop off beach stuff, grab a bite to eat, shower then head out to shop. Havensight Mall gets very crowded if there are a lot of ships in port. We like to shop downtown, more stores to wander in and out of.
Old June 1st, 2005, 08:51 AM
hydro-terp

I cant believe no one has mentioned St Johns and Trunk Bay. Its rated as one of the nicest beachs in the world. It takes up some of your time in port because you have to go to the other side of the island and catch the ferry or take one from the port but it can be done in half a day. The over land trip is kind of cool as you get to see much of the island away from the tourist areas. The ferry from the pier is alright but their isnt much to see taking it.

I found the booze in the shops near the peir had the same prices as downtown. That will save you some work hauling them back to the ship. The prices for booze in St T is the best you'll find in almost all the islands especially for nondomestic stuff.
Old June 1st, 2005, 09:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Has anyone parasailed?
Old June 1st, 2005, 02:23 PM
bjkeen

I took Godfrey's tour and thought it was good. He brought his open air van to the port. After everyone was aboard he took us shopping. Then at an appointed time his employee returned and took us on a sight seeing tour. After that the employee took us to a beautiful beach. Then we returned to the ship.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 08:36 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to vanello

I don't know what day of the week you will be there but keep in mind the shops close about 2:00 pm on Sundays.