Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Admiral

Default dressing for dinner

Im going on the Legend, my question is this on NON formal nights are jeans permitted in the dining room for women? Im not talking about any faded holey torn jeans, but nice dark denium with say a blouse and a blazer?
Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: dressing for dinner

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.
Old March 25th, 2005, 02:41 PM
cali-croozer

PS.........runner15km's post is directly from Carnival's website so it is Carnival's dress code.
Old March 25th, 2005, 02:58 PM
julycruiser

no, no jeans in the dining room. nice dress pants or even capris are ok but no jeans...

Now, on the first night aboard our cruise, there were people with jeans and jean shorts on because their luggage hadn't made it to their room yet. So you could possibly squeek by the first night but that would be it.
Old March 25th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Girlsjustwanttohavefun

ON THE SENSATION IN 2002, WE ATE DINNER IN THE DINING ROOM EVERY NIGHT AND I'M SURE THAT THERE WERE A FEW NIGHTS WHEN WE WORE JEANS. THEY WERE NICE JEANS, NOT RATTY ONES, BUT WE DID WEAR THEM. HAVE THEY CHANGED THEIR POLICY THIS MUCH?
Old March 25th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Actually jeans are allowed in the main dining room on CCL. You will see some people that will wear them and there really isn't anything wrong with that nowadays. Most people will not wear them for various reasons probably the biggest reason is that jeans are a little hot for the tropics and they weigh one heck of a lot and take up so much room in your luggage. I can fold up three pair of dress pants and they don't weigh as much or take up as much room as one pair of jeans.
Jim

Old March 26th, 2005, 03:32 AM
Admiral

Thanks for the tips, all, Jim my jeans are stretch denim they are light weight, Im bringing dress pants and skirts also so Im covered but I have this white cotton blazer that I don't have white pants to match so I thought I would pair it with dark jeans and heels. Still dressy, sort of, and comfortable. However If Im gonna be the only one I might not wear them. I guess I will have to wait and see. I also have one week left to shop for some cute capris.
Old March 26th, 2005, 08:59 AM
sls

Personally I wear sundresses to every dinner. I can't imagine trying to eat in jeans. Even stretch jeans will not stretch enough to get me through desert as I have to try something with every course.

sls
Old March 26th, 2005, 03:22 PM
JD

Hello all I have been on a few Carnival cruises and I see a lot of people male and female wearing jeans with nice shirts so I see no problem. Remember there are many diffrent lifestyles on a boat and some people do not get all dressed up and just want to dress casual. Have a great cruise JD in NJ

11/18/2005 Voyger
10/2005 ???????
5/2005 Carnival victory
4/2005 Carnival Spirit
12/2004 Imagination
6/2004 Carnival Miracle
11/2003 Sensation
6/2003 Dawn
5/2003 Carnival Legend
6/2002 Sensation
7/2001 Sensation
5/2001 Carnival Destiny
72000 Sensation
4/2000 Carnival Triumph
5/1999 Carnival Destiny
5/1998 Imagination
5/1997 Sensation
Old March 26th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Wear your jeans in the dining room and don't worry about others who get upset over it. It is your vacation, enjoy it! Hubby & I both wore nice jeans in the dining room almost every night with no problems.....LAST thing I want to do on my VACATION is have to get dressed up!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old March 26th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Girlsjustwanttohavefun

Thanks everyone. My sister is not the kind of person that ever wears dress pants, so she was worried about it. Where I work, we have to, so I am bringing some, but she doesn't even own a pair and was very worried when I told her about the start of this thread the other day. But now she is relieved and will definitely wear jeans at least a couple of nights. I hope to meet some new friends on this cruise. Hope everyone has a great time on their cruises.
Old March 29th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Thanks everyone, tell your sister there are Kaki type pants that are comfy and look nice also some cute cotton light weight linen pants that feel as good as sweats, and allow for those extra desserts. Have fun everyone and watch for my reviews when I return. Whoopie only 6 more days till I cruise!
Old March 29th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: dressing for dinner

Hi again, Showcat.

I keep volunteering to give you a male's eye assessment of your wardrobe - just send some pics

Hope you all have a great trip.
Old March 29th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have to chime in with a different viewpoint. The guidelines are established for the good of the order. Those who dress for dinner would prefer not to be at a table next to someone who thinks that jeans and a Hawaiian shirt are OK for formal night. There are a number of alternatives to eating in the "formal" dining room. It's a shame that a small number of people have this "it's my vacation and I'll do as I please" attitude. I saw a women in the the lobby bar in her bathrobe milling around the guests in suits and ties/gowns for formal night. It that OK because it's her vacation? Where does one draw the line? Just a thought.
Old March 29th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

How did she look in her bath robe? lol
Old March 29th, 2005, 05:11 PM
big apple

Read the Carnival brochure and it will tell you the dress code for eacn nite.have seen very few jeans in main dining room.
Old March 29th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Only once did we wear blue jeans on formal night in the dining room, and that was BECAUSE we had no intention of dressing up on this cruise after doing it numerous times....when we told our tablemates this, they INSISTED that we still join them for formal night in our jeans, they did not mind because they enjoyed our company! Those are the type of people we REALLY enjoy!

And I didn't hear about anyone's evening being RUINED because we were wearing jeans... interesting, isn't it????

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old March 29th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

This issue always seems to get people riled up. The fact is, the cruise lines indicate what attire is deemed appropriate at any given time or meal. There will always be those who choose to ignore that.
Old March 29th, 2005, 09:34 PM
big apple

What do you wear to a formal wedding?Hope not your best jeans.Enough said.
Old March 29th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Ospopo5

man people really get into this topic every time it is discussed it's kinda fun to watch.

my two cents.....I am going on my third cruise in June. Last cruise we missed the formal night so we got dressed up on the next night. It was funny to watch peoples reaction, even our table mates for the first time we met them that night. We just pretended like we were super rich! ha ha

From a young couple perspective, I think it is fun to dress up in the dining room for dinner. To me it just makes the experiance. But someone who is not dressed up wont get me all angry.
Old March 30th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Wellll, maybe it's just me, but I think there is a BIG difference between formal night on a cruise and a wedding....but who am I to say!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old March 30th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

What's the difference between a formal night on a cruise and a wedding? (Aside from the obvious?)

Formal is still formal, isn't it?
Old March 30th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Hee hee you just answered your own question, Diver! It's the obvious that *I* was talking about!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old March 30th, 2005, 05:28 PM
big apple

For those of you who enjoy dressing as suggested in writing by the cruise line,would like you to try either Holland orCelebrity where you will see no jeans on the formal nites.By the way both of these lines put this in writing just like Carnaval.
Old March 30th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Admiral

See JIm Bragg's post near the beginning of this thread, Big Apple. Carnival does not mention jeans in it's written dress code policy. They are allowed in the dining room.

Again, for me, jeans don't work in a tropical climate, so mine stay at home on a cruise.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old March 30th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

i believe jeans can be worn, on casual nites, at least i did 2yrs ago, maybe policy has changed since then, check your brochure or call the 800#, either way you wii get the information your looking for good luck