Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Bigtipr

Default Tipping charges automatically

We will soon be cruising on the Carnival Glory. It is our understanding that they automatically charge the recommended tips to your account. Is that correct? If so, what do you give the waiters and cabin steward on Friday night? A note that says you gave at the office? Nothing? Are they expecting something then? We don't want to do the wrong thing. Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Tipping charges automatically

They have access to a list that tells them who automatically tips, so they *will* know.

Many people tip "extra" if the service throughout the week is particularly good. You can ask for envelopes at the pursers desk if you want to tip more than the recommended amount and then hand them out accordingly.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old March 26th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Ray Stoney

I find the automatic tipping a great conveniance in my opinion. I hated trying to save the cash and stuffing envelopes in the past. I cruised the Sensation 5 years ago and shared a table with some other folks whose company we enjoyed at the time. However, I was miffed that that these cheapskates we shared a table with for 6 nights decided to forgo the dining room on the last night (when you gave the tip envelopes). We were embarrassed sitting at the now mostly empty table when our hard working waitstaff was expecting to be tipped for their weeks worth of service. The cruise staff do work hard to provide good service and I think 15% is reasonable and you don't have to worry about it. Imagine working 7 days a week for months at a time, away from your family, and still having a smile on your face and trying to please your customers. You still have the option to have this automatic tipping removed or adjusted at the purser's desk if you so desire if you believe you recieved bad service.

I was so impressed with the diningroom waitstaff and room steward we had had on our last trip on the Glory, that I gave them a little extra cash in an envelope in addition to the automatic tip Carnival deducts. If you've read some of m past threads/posts about my beef with CCL Corporation, I want to make it clear, I had no beef with with the wonderful service people who I dealt with on the Glory.

Regards,

RAY
Old March 26th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just back from Glory. You will get an envelope in your cabin on Thursday night for the matre 'd (we tipped $15). We also gave our waiter a little something extra ($20) for the week. He was OK, not the most personable guy, but friendly and attentive. The dining room staff does put on a show (singing in Italian is impressive) and a some gesture beyond the basics is appropriate.
Old March 26th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Admiral

I gave at the Office. I like that! As another poster pointed out they will be told who tipped automatically and how much, who Pre-paid tips, and of course they know who tipped traditionally. Not to worry. We always tipped at the end of the cruise in the traditional manner and almost always more than the auto-tips but I noticed the suprise and look of relief on the last night when I gave him a tip envelope so I may re-asses my stance on personal tipping and tip the extra on the last night so they will not worry that they did something wrong.
Jim