Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2005, 02:38 PM
First Mate

Default Ocho Rios Dunns River Falls

Can you just get a cab to drive you to and from the falls? We want to climb them, but would like to do this on our own without a group excursion. How much is it for people who just walk up and wish to climb? How about cab fare?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2005, 03:16 PM
JD

Default Re: Ocho Rios Dunns River Falls

Hello yes you can But I would not say it is a good idea . The Locals seem to be a pain and heckle you a lot. I would go with a tour find one that has a fall hike and siteseeing the prices are not that high.

JD in NJ
11/18/8005 Voyger of the seas
10/2005 ???????
5/2005 Carnival victory
4/2005 Carnival Spirit
12/2004 Imagination
6/2004 Carnival Miracle
11/2003 Sensation
6/2003 Dawn
5/2003 Carnival Legend
6/2002 Sensation
7/2001 Sensation
5/2001 Carnival Destiny
72000 Sensation
4/2000 Carnival Triumph
5/1999 Carnival Destiny
5/1998 Imagination
5/1997 Sensation
Old March 26th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Passenger

Even if you go on your own, they will put you in a group with everyone else- you climb the falls in a big chain, all connected, so you might be better off just going on a tour anyway- especially if you are a group of women travelling. Good luck it is fun!
Enjoy and Bon Voyage!
S~

Old March 26th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Admiral

We have done both, twice on our own and once on a tour. A Taxi cost about $5pp to the Falls and back and you tell them what time to pick you up and pay them when you return to the pier or wherever you want to go. There is a charge to enter the Falls and I honestly don't remember exactly what it is but say between $10-$15pp. You can hire a guide and they will tell you you need to but you do not have to get a guide. We never have. We also were not placed in any group, just climbed on our own. Bring water shoes or old sneakers to wear as that is really a must as the rocks are slippery. They rent them there but you can buy a new pair at home for less than you can rent and they are kinda nasty anyway. When you reach the top of the falls and start to exit, go to your left and not to the right towards that straw market. Uery pusy there and not too friendly. IWe prefer the downtown straw market. They are pushy but really polite and friendly there and we interact well with the locals there. Have fun.
Jim

Old March 27th, 2005, 07:54 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Ocho Rios Dunns River Falls

Thanks Jim! That is exactly the answere that I was looking for. There will be 4 of us. 2 adults, one 12 year old, and one 14 year old. None of us are super athletes, but we are in good health. Do you think the falls are dangerous for a novice climber to do on our own? Do you suggest needing a guide, or are the falls not that hard? I just dont want to get in a dangerous situation.
Thanks
Old March 27th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Yeoman

If this is your first trip there, I would go through the ship. Then if you return, you'll know where and what to do. In Jamica, I feel better going through a Carnival indorsed tour.

Once your onboard, you can book it in your room. Or you might want to book it on-line, before you sail. Either way, I would book it asap !

Happy sailing and smooth seas;
david
Old March 27th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Admiral

I have a bad back and bad knees and ankles and climbed them without much problem. My oldest son had serious knee problems and a pin in his femer and also climbed it without any problem but he is crazy anyway. <VBG> Really, I don't think it is that hard for a moderately able person. The only ones I saw have any problems are those who were just very timid or quite obese. Shoes are the key though. Now if you have any problems there are a couple places during the climb where you can exit the falls.
Jim

Old March 27th, 2005, 04:51 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Ocho Rios Dunns River Falls

How about the rush of the water. Is it so forceful as to push one over if not with a large group holding hands. There are 2 adults and 2 kids in our group. What is the forcefullness of the water? And how slick are the rocks?
Old March 27th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to outdoors27

This was a few years ago when I was on the Victory,but we did an excursions through Carnival that was fairly cheap. It consisted of taking a boat tour of the harbor area and then headed over to the falls. While on the boat the crew was very entertaining and on the ride back to the ship they had the entire upper deck dancing away. We even walked over to the duty free shop on the pier before we headed out and brought a 6 pack of Red Stripe on with us no questions asked. Not sure if they still run this excursions, but it was fun. I have some great pictures from it. I wouldn't take a cab. Have fun

Britanis 1985
Carnival Fantasy 1992
Carnival Destiny 1998
Carnival Destiny 1999
Carnival Victory 2002
Carnival Pride 2004
Carnival Valor 2005
Carnival Freedom 2011

Carnival Breeze (Hopefully June or July 2012)
Old March 27th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to outdoors27

I just checked The Carnival website and I believe the excursion I was telling you about is not available. Its listed as the Jamacia Queeen Party Boat and Falls.
Old March 28th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Admiral

We did the Jamacian Queen and it was very nice actually. A short boat ride over there after seeing the coastal sites, climbing the falls with a guide, no problem with vendors, they did have photos and video of the climb available if you wanted, time at the beach to play a litte and then a great show and some very strong 'punch' on the way back. Let me tell you, this was the overproof stuff mixed in and it had one heck of a kick!
Jim

Old March 28th, 2005, 01:36 PM
TonyO.

Going to Dunn River Falls in June. We have booked the tour but I am wondering if it is a real "strenuous" activity. My father, early 60's, not in the best shape. And we are planning on taking my 5yr old. Would it be too much for her and my father??
Thanks for info.
Tony
Old March 28th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Admiral

The 5yr old will need some help at certain areas as the footholds are too far apart for most small kids. I have seen some very young kids climb them and some get out and follow the footpath up. Many older people do climb the falls and if he is moderate shape and not really obese then he should do okay. If not he can also exit the falls in a couple places on the way up.
Jim

Old March 28th, 2005, 06:35 PM
First Mate

One ship excursion that I highly recommend is the Cool Runnings catamaran ride to and from the falls. You get on a party sized catamaran and everyone on board sings and dances on the way to the falls to Bob Marley music. The staff is great and are very good at getting people to participate. You will get a chance to view some spectacular scenery from the boat while on your way to the falls that you would not get to if you take a cab. If I remember correctly the cost of that excursion was $39 PP in January of this year but worth every penny.

Old March 30th, 2005, 10:30 AM
patticake

we arae going in july on the victory. we have a group of 11 ,6 adults and 5 kids. the kids are 5,8,11, and 12. my husband and i , the grandparents. and the five year old are not climbing the falls. we are all going because we have heard it is a sight to see and so beautiful. the rest of the group is climbing the falls. i understand the beach at the foot of the falls is good for the five year old and the grandparents to play and hang out while the rest of the group climb. we also were told to exit to the left of thefalls and try to go out the same way we came in. they do not like it but that is what we are going to do.

we are taking our own taxis to the falls, possibly getting guide, maybe not. it will depend ont he group and what they want. they did not want to be on a tour. we will get the same taxi togo back. he will drop us at jimmy buffets margueritaville which is in walking distance of the pier where the ship is. we thought they would enjoy this place where there is a pool, water slide, and the beach i believe. also there is a small shopping center where we can look around before walking back to the ship.
Old March 30th, 2005, 11:43 AM
AaronHoltMichigan

I went to Ocho Rios in Nov, 2002 aboard the Destiny. We didn't take any tours but decided to just get off the ship and go into town. What a horrible experience!!! The locals are pushy, constantly grab your hair and ask to braid it, try to sell you drugs, have "deals" for you to look at and then try to lead you away from the main streets. We were in town for an hour, then came back to the ship and stayed there the rest of the time in port. I would highly suggest for this reason to just book the excursion. Carnival excursions may be expensive, but at least you have nothing to worry about....they are well-organized. In Jamaica, my best advice is...BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY.