Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Passenger

Default what to do with wallet,etc while swimming ?

Question- my wife and i are going on a cruise NEXT WEEK !!! leaving kids at home.

This is our first cruise. Need recommendation on what to when on an excursion on the beach- what can we do with money , sail & sign card, etc if we both want to go in water at same time?? I've heard if you lose Sail& sign card, you are dead meat.

Suggestions?????

Thanks,
Russ & Jeanne
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Khrysta

Default Re: what to do with wallet,etc while swimming ?

I read somewhere a great recommendation is a fishing license holder.... I think they are waterproof and holds it using a cord around your neck.
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I got waterproof plastic containers at walmart that are on a lanyard that goes around your neck. They also sell them on the ship, but they're more expensive. Good for credit cards, sign & sail and money. If your wallet isn't too bulky it should fit.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old April 6th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Bo
Default Re: Re: what to do with wallet,etc while swimming ?

The less you carry the better. We use the waterproof packet on the lanyard and just bring some cash and the cards. Leave the bulky wallet full of pictures, coupons, etc. on the ship in your room safe.
Old April 6th, 2005, 10:18 AM
jeri

I always carry a bag when we leave the ship with our towels, sunblock, water, camera etc. I make sure I have a gallon size ziploc plastic bag to put my camera, cash or anything valuable in. While sitting on the beach I dig a hole, making sure no one is paying attention, and I drop the plastic bag in the hole and bury it. That way if they steal my bag, I've still got everything inportant to us. I know where to find it because our towels mark the spot. Have a great cruise, we leave in 17 days on the Sensation.
Old April 6th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Rose M

Good advice from everyone, just carry enough cash that you think you will need and give half to your wife to carry.....I never bring a credit card on shore excursions, I'd rather lose a little cash than my credit card....I also purchased a good quality, square waterproof plastic container from a dive shop, absolutely water proof and air tight and our Sail & Sign cards fit in it along with some cash. Instead of hanging it around my neck, If you are on the beach with a group of people from the ship, stay within a short distance of the group, not everyone goes in the water, someone will be keeping an eye out for strangers. The only place I felt intimidated was at Dunns River Falls, we were told to leave all our personal belongings on the catamaran that brought us over. Other than that, we have not experienced any problems. We usually wait until we go back to the ship and change our clothes before venturing back out to shop.
Old April 6th, 2005, 11:12 AM
First Mate

You can get very good water proof containers (in more than one size) at dive shops. They are called 'dry boxes'. Cheaper containers may leak but i have never had a problem with my small dry box (which I wear around my neck).
Old April 6th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Shipbound

When I cruise the only thing I carry with me the days I'am at sea is the sign and sail card
everything else goes in the cabin safe but do not use your sign and sail card to activate the safe, use a credit card, than hide it some where but dont forget where you put it.
Old April 6th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Admiral

I agree that the waterproof containers with the lanyard are the best idea. The lanyards have a plastic piece to adjust how low the container hangs. We have been using them for many years on vacation. (not just cruises but also by the pool at resorts) They work very well. I got them at Walmart, I think, but you can find them at sporting goods stores also. They can come in a variety of colors. We have green, yellow, blue and orange. I have also seen them in two sizes. Credit card holder size and juice box size. We have the juice box size. My kids are still using theirs at college. They like them when they go theme parks and the beach. I can usually fit my id, a credit card, a little cash, my chapstick and car key in it. My worry when I go in the water is usually my camera. Luckily, I've never had any problems. Someone suggested to me once, to bring a one time waterproof camera with me. This way if someone takes it, you don't lose an expensive camera, just some pictures.

Old April 7th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Passenger

hello, I found a waterproof fanny pack at a dive shop and we used it to climb dunns rivers falls. it was hardly bulky at all and they let us take it on the climb. Kept everything nice and dry. it's just big enough for some cash and sign and sail card.

Old April 7th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Admiral

most beaches have lockers that you can rent. DH and I each have a small fanny pack just for daily cruise essentials, we use the lockers or if we are on a boat excursion, we just stash the fanny packs in the bottom of the tote bag, covered with towels. Your stuff is safe on excursions, the companies livelyhood depends upon it.
Old April 8th, 2005, 12:02 AM
CherylR

As in the previous posts, a watertight lanyard is a good bet, and I always bring extra baggies and put essentials like lotion and camera in them to stay sand free.(although nothing in your bag ever really stays sand-free when you are at the beach) I have sailed many times and have never heard of an instance where someone had anything stolen, and I usually put my money, ID's, and Sail & Sign card in my fanny pack and tuck it into a towel at the bottom of my bag....inconspicuously of course. We always peek over periodically at our belongings while in the ocean just to make sure, and another good idea is getting a snack size Pringles container...eat and empty out the chips and put your ID,money and cards in there. Noone will think twice about stealing a small can of Pringles! If you need something bigger for your wallet, empty out a bag of goldfish crackers into a baggie in your stateroom and put your wallet in a baggie and into the empty bag of goldfish. And no, DO NOT LOSE your Sail & Sign card while on your shore excursion...that is your lifeline to getting back on the ship. Happy sailing!! 22 more days for us on the Valor May 1.....can't wait!!!!
Old April 8th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Captain

Take only WHAT YOU NEED AND LOCK THE REST IN YOU SAFE IN THE ROOM. Then get the plastic card carrier to hold, be careful A and make sure you hold onto it in a crowd We have dont it on the 4 cruises we were on
bob
Old April 8th, 2005, 10:20 AM
reverendjeff

Shove your wallet in your shoe, they never think to look there!
Old April 8th, 2005, 11:25 AM
browezilla

Well, I go pretty light. I use a ziplock bag. I carry my driver's license, S&S card, credit card, and a few money bills. That's small enough that I can just put it in my swim trunks (if they have a good velcro closure).
Old April 8th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Admiral

reverendjeff---they will NOW

Old April 8th, 2005, 11:08 PM
First Mate

I use the baggie ziplock.When at the beach. I only take sign and sail card and 10.00. I take a throw away cammera and my back pack with towels lotions and a place to put our clothes. Then we go back to ship change and go shop. Or we shop then go to ship and then beach. That way we do not have to worry about the money. And at the beach we can see if any one goes near our stuff.

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old April 9th, 2005, 09:25 AM
CherylR

Noulou-
..I will be looking for Reverendjeff on our next cruise....he will be the one with the wallet in his shoe! HA!