Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Default Attention, VERY IMPORTANT!!

We have been talking about it for a long time here saying it will soon be necessary to have a passport so please get yours now. At first they just said everyone by 2008 which is true but misleading. It is now EVERYONE who travels by SEA or AIR to the Caribbean, Bermuda, or Panama to have a Passport by Dec. 31 2005 which means essentially everyone except those going on am Alaskan or Hawaiian cruise or one that goes to Mexico on the West Coast. By Dec. 31 2006 you will need one to travel by air or sea to anyplace, period. Then you will have to have one to even travel by land by Dec. 31 2007. Those friends of ours from Canada will be able to get a type of express pass for those that travel back and forth often and for low-risk types and that will be called a NEXUS card and the commercial type people will get a FAST card. Those going to Mexico will be able to get what will be called a SENTRI card.
WHAT IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO IS GET YOUR PASSPORT NOW!
Jim

Old April 6th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Attention, VERY IMPORTANT!!

Jim,

How often do you have to renew your passport? I realize that may change, but for right now, I'm curious.
Old April 6th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Actually, the article I read this morning said it will be by Dec. 31, 2005 for Bermuda, the Carribean and Panama. Here is a direct quote "The new requirements would take effect on Dec. 31, 2007, for travelers entering the United States from Mexico and Canada by land, and on Dec. 31, 2006, by air or sea. The deadline is a year earlier - Dec. 31, 2005 - for travel from Bermuda, the Caribbean and Panama."

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old April 6th, 2005, 01:25 PM
hwireman

OK Just for my stupid mind...do I understand correctly that since I am leaving on May 8th, 2005 I do not need to worry this time about having my passport???

Heather
Old April 6th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Attention, VERY IMPORTANT!!

Passports are valid for 10 years. And you have plenty of time between now and May 8 to get one (there are procedures for expedited processing).

I am always surprised that people who travel outside the US would do so without a passport, regardless of the requirements. Cruise people are always talking about the value of travel insurance - a passport can prove to be worth far more than travel insurance in the event of any unforseen emergencies.

I cannot stress enough - get a passport for everyone in your party before you leave the US.
Old April 6th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Admiral

As stated, Passports are good for 10 years but most places want it to expire no less than 6 months so in effect it is 9 1/2 years. Anyone traveling this year is fine. As of December 31, 2005 you will need one to cruise or fly to Bermuda, Panama, or anywhere in the Caribbean. They have not been specific about the Bahamas but if feel that they are including that as part of the Caribbean even though technically it isn't. If you are cruising on the East Coast you are going to need a Passport in 2006 with the exception of cruises to Canada. Those on the West Coast are apparently safe in 2006. Starting December 31, 2006 you are going to need a passport to cruise or fly, period. On December 31, 2007 you will need a passport to leave the USA no matter how you leave, even on foot. As KimJack pointed out, it has not passed but I have no doubt it will and probably exactly as written as far as most of us are concerned, especially when it comes to travel by ship.
Jim

Old April 6th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Passenger

i have to agree with another cm on the chit chat board, the government need to issue a national ID card to US citizens, i believe it would eliminate a lot of hassels while traveling, like a credit card, swipe, and be on your merry way, picture ID that is, with an eyeball scan, finger print scan and whatever uncle sam can figure whatever else to spend our tax dollars on.
Old April 6th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

You are essentially describing a passport. They already have them, but for some reasoon, people are resistant to getting them.
Old April 6th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Darcy, Thanks for catching that. I changed it in my original post and everywhere else on the boards. Accidentally hit the 6 instead of the 5. <VBG> What you read is correct.
Jim

Old April 6th, 2005, 02:27 PM
First Mate

Also, keep in mind passports issued to kids are only good for 5 years.
Old April 6th, 2005, 04:46 PM
BoosterMom

Passports are good for 10 years if you get them after the age of 16. If you are issued one before then it is good for a shorter time. Don't have it right in front of me, but I think it is 5 years. We realized this when we looked at passports for a cruise last summer and younger daughter's was about to expire.
Old April 6th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Passenger

<< If you are cruising on the East Coast you are going to need a Passport in 2006 with the exception of cruises to Canada. >>

So, we are going to Mexico, but leaving from Port Canaveral (Belize, Key West, Progreso, and Cozumel), so we still need one for Jan 2006 even though it is going to mexico? I am confused! What difference does it make whether you leave from east or west coast? Just trying to understand.

Old April 6th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Yes Kristin you will. You are going to the Caribbean area. The differance is if you are on the West Coast you will only be going to Mexico. In the Caribbean you will probably go elsewhere. In Belize you would need a passport to go there anyway right now except for the special allowance they made with cruiselines. That is not going to be any good once this happens I am sure. Suffice to say, if you ship leaves Texas, Lousiana, Florida, or other east coast areas you will need a passport unless you are going just to Canada and that will still happen in Dec. 31, 2006. At that time you will need a passport to get on a ship or plane that goes anywhere outside the USA.
Jim

Old April 6th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Everyone, we planned on getting passports, this is our first cruise, to Canada/New England June 27, Triumph, at this time (80 +days), we probably would'nt have the passport in time, I'm going to wait and get it later this summer. I understand and respect why they need it, but am just glad we don't for this cruise, I'm stressed enough about all the details. "Where are your papers" from the old movies just comes to mind...thanks, Faith
Old April 6th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Khrysta

Perhaps more people would get passports if they weren't so expensive (compared to ordering a copy of a birth cert. and/or getting a license/state id). I think the fee is excessive, especially now that it is going to be mandatory.
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Admiral

I don't know how much a passport costs in the U.S, but here in Canada I think it's somewhere around $60 (or at least that's what it was five years ago when I got mine) and personally, I think it's $60 well spent. I've always traveled with a passport whether it was required or not because you just never know when something unexpected might happen and you might need it. I don't think it's a good idea to take chances like that, especially in this post-9/11 world we live in now. I also recommend getting travel insurance whenever you travel. I've noticed that while people are generally agreeable to getting insurance, they seem to be very reluctant to getting a passport, which I don't understand. Travel insurance is only good for one trip but if a passport will last you for 10 years, you actually get far more value out of it than you would from insurance (although I highly recommend both) and if I'm not mistaken, insurance can easily cost more if you have two or more people to buy it for. It's better to spend the extra money for a passport than to risk getting stranded somewhere without valid identification.

Gail
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Passenger

I think it is a good idea; however, I am not very keen on having to get them for my 3 kids (at $82 each and it only lasts for 5 years). When you divide the $97 by 10 years, it is not much per year; however, when you are talking passports for 2 A and 3 kids, you are talking $440 at one time (well, we still stagger getting them), it is quite a bit of money.

Old April 7th, 2005, 05:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Kristen
that what I thought, the cruise fare, insurance, grats, shore ex, limo to pier and back, a 680 a person cruise turns into 1000 a head and the passports just squeezed that more, we'll get them, but not with this budget, theres 4 of us going and that's 400! I'm sure it will be an outstanding vacation, but with two headed to college, ya gotta watch...Faith...81 days to go...
Old April 7th, 2005, 06:47 AM
myspecialks

With no cruising onmy horizon, I think I may start slowly getting them for the remaining 3 in my family..I have one form travel to Europe years back..buy hubby & the girls need them!
Old April 7th, 2005, 09:38 AM
mrselves

Kids too?? But not until December of 2005, so we are O.K. with their birth certificates
for this summer. Right????
Old April 7th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Admiral

for a family, don't get them all at once, stagger them so the initial outlay of money isn't so high. Look at it this way it will cost each person $8.20 per year to have a passport.
Old April 7th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Passenger

unfortunately it is more than that per year. For adults it runs $9.70 per year, but for kids it runs 16.40/yr! This is based on first time. Of course ours have been expired 1 year to long to renew ours so it will be priced as new for us too.

Old April 7th, 2005, 12:46 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Chyna

My Passport was $60 good for ten years, that is $6 a year.