Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Passenger

Default Bed in Wall "upper"

We are sailing soon and our room as a single "upper" that our son will be using. Has anyone had any experince with this style of bunk bed? I've read some postings about rough water and people falling out of their bed. How safe are these beds? Do they have a high railing? Are they comfortable? I think our little guy will think it's "cool" but is it safe or will I have him falling on my head one night? Please let me know about your experiences!
Thanks!

Old April 7th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Bed in Wall "upper"

My girls are 4 and 6 and loved the idea of their bed coming out of the wall The beds seemed comfortable and very sturdy! They do have a small railing but for my 4 year old who tends to move a lot in the night we added some extra pillows just to be on the safe side :-) Enjoy your cruise! We just went on our first one this past March and it wont' be our last - we all had a GREAT time!!
Patti
Old April 7th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Admiral

They feel essentially the same as the other beds and are quite comfortable complete with their own ladder, safety railing, and reading lamps. I have even drug my fat rear end up there when we have cruised with a third adult and I'm very comfy up there. He will love it and it is safe. During the day they will put the bed back up into the overhead so you won't even know it's there.
Jim

Old April 7th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Bed in Wall "upper"

NYMAC4---How did your girls enjoy kids camp?

Only 16 more days until our cruise!!

Old April 7th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Bed in Wall "upper"

They LOVED Camp Carnival! They kept asking all of the time when it was "open" so they could go back :-) the counselors seemed really good with them and they had lots of different activities planned. My youngest was in the 2-5 group and my other daughter in the 6-8. They both had lots of fun. My husband and I felt like we actually got a vacation :-) We could go to the gym in the morning, relax at breakfast, see a show, or even just sit and relax with a drink. It was the best vacation we've had in a long time, maybe ever :-) It was our first cruise but I'm sure it won't be our last!!!
Patti
Old April 7th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Randon question about the upper beds. Is there a weight limit?

Old April 7th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Cher, I'm not sure how little, your little guy is, but I can say when we were on the Sensation, I was very glad that I am a paranoid and neurotic mother. The railing was not substantial enough in my opinion as it was about 2 feet long and only rose about 6 inches above the level of the mattress and was in the middle of the bed. When I asked the question about the railing, I got mixed responses, so I went to Walmart and bought a portable railing to bring with us just to be on the safe side. It was only about $17, but made me feel alot better and it worked wonderfully. It takes up very little space in your luggage and is easy to set up and take apart. I am definitely bringing it along on our next cruise.
Old April 8th, 2005, 05:56 PM
CandiPinki

Default Re: Re: Bed in Wall "upper"

Whenever we've had these, they are always the most comfortable mattresses because if there are only two people in that room, they don't get used. In fact, me and my brother had uppers and my dad traded with me because my bed was more comfortable to him. I never pay attention because on a cruise, I'm alseep before I even hit the bed.
Old April 8th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Admiral

I don' think there is a wieght limit, my wife slept up there. <> I'm gonna get killed for that. No, she actually has a nice figure. I am not sure of any limit but I have been up there and I weight right at 225Lbs and it was pretty secure.
Jim

Old April 8th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Thanks Jim. Please try and stay alive, we need you here on Cruisemates.

Old April 8th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Admiral

My 6'2" son was quite comfortable up there in the bunk. He'd better like it, he's going back in one in just 2 weeks!

donna

Old April 9th, 2005, 09:34 AM
KN

hello we were on the conquest last year nad had upper beds my brother-in -law is about 295 lbs and he said he slept well and they held up fine for him
Old April 9th, 2005, 09:34 AM
KN

bump
Old April 9th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Thanks everyone for your help about the upper bed weight.

Old April 16th, 2005, 09:44 PM
superkid

I'm book in upper cabin on the paradise