Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 21st, 2005, 12:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Alcohol

I know you said that you are down to the last of your wedding budget and that people should not waste their breath, but I will anyway - no matter how you try to justify it (whether with the "they may not carry my brand" argument or "they make enough money on other things that it won't matter" argument), carrying liquir on board is against the cruise line's policy and is wrong.

In your post you made it a point to mention that you "spent a whole lot of money" for your wedding and ceremony and that you are "paying for the liquer [sic] for a full bar at our reception". This is quite gracious of you (although, in my mind, this is what a host does when inviting guests to a function).

I am assuming that there was not a gun to youir head when you elected to spend all that money? And if not, can we also safely assume that the decision to go on a cruise was also made of your own free will and not under duress?

The point is, no matter how you choose to describe it, you are in fact carrying alcohol on because you don't want to but it on board - claiming "hardship" is really a bit of a stretch when you are already spending all that money.

You may not agree with it, you may think it is a foolish rule but it is, nevertheless, a rule. The fact that you are not a stickler for rules that you may not see the sense of is really irrelevant and in fact demonstrates that you are indeed young and have a great deal of growing up to do.

Enjoy your honeymoon, but don't try to rationalize your behavior because you don't agree with the rule.
Old May 21st, 2005, 12:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2
Default Re: Alcohol

The rules are not in place to insure that the cruise line makes a ot of money on alcohol. I am sure that they do not care about the person who brings a bottle or two for in room consumption before dinner or while relaxing on the balcony. The rules are there to protect the rest of the passengers from obnoxious drunks. It is no fun to try to relax by the pool with a group that is drinking way too much. They get louder and the language gets disgusting. I do not understand why anyone would pay $6000 for a cruise and spend it stewed to the gills anyway. I do not imagine the resulting hangover is fun. Why waste a wonderful vacation being so drunk you cannot remember it and so sick from all the drinking?

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 21st, 2005, 05:02 PM
JustaPoorGradStudent

Thanks for explaining the rationale behind the policy. It makes sense that the cruise ships would like to be able to control how much people drink. But how do they limit people buying bottles in the duty free shop? I'm not a heavy drinker and though we'll definitely be out and about the boat, and will drink and socialize with others, it's our honeymoon so we will definitely want some private time also.

As for the other post...

I'm not trying to justify anything. I really don't care what others think of my decisions. I'm sure there are things that others do that I may not agree with but, bar harming others, I would never be arrogant enough to assume I had the right to chastise anyone. It's a bottle of rum, not drugs, not weapons. I'm not going to get drunk and push someone off the boat. All weddings don't have a complimentary full bar. Etiquette says it's up to the hosts. There is nothing wrong with wanting to take one of the left over bottles on my honeymoon. Do not presume to know how much money I have nor how I may or may not have struggled to pull off the cruise. If all I will save is $5 by bringing my own bottle, then that's $5 I can spend on jerk chicken in Jamaica.

Maybe my grad student status put you in mind of one those who would socialize among the MTV Spring Break crowd. Please don't make those assumptions. I'm a 30+, working, PhD student at Rutgers, who in fact teaches the young MTV Spring Break crowd. I'm neither immature, young, nor stupid. With so many problems going on in the world, such strong feelings over a bottle of rum on a cruise ship makes me wonder the level of maturity of others. No, I'm not a stickler for rules. When I'm not in school I spend most of my time working and volunteering with human rights organizations who protest violations of rules or acts of morality that result in death, human rights violations, and acts of terrorism. So no, a bottle of rum in my cabin, on my honeymoon is not a big deal. If others are soo passionate regarding my disregard for "the law", I would suggest you embrace that passion that you so valiantly hold, and put more of an effort into preventing the smuggling of items that cause harm to others. Into preventing, perhaps, human trafficking, anything besides directing your undeserved and arrogant criticism to someone who quite frankly doesn't have the tolerance or interest for it.

This is my first cruise. This is why the concept of not being able to bring a bottle of alcohol on board is soo foreign to me and why I didn't realize that among the cruise-going crowd, it's right up there with sneaking a crack pipe on board. Now that I know, I will enjoy my cruise, be mindful of my place, and perhaps stick to flying.

Can someone please tell me; about how much is a bottle of rum on board? Is it sold in the Duty Free store?
Old May 21st, 2005, 05:42 PM
big apple

Default Re: Re: Alcohol

Put the bottle in your checked luggage and not worry about it.
Old May 21st, 2005, 06:58 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Alcohol

I admit i am one of the ones who bring a small bottle of alchohol onboard to enjoy in my cabin and on the balcony. That does not mean that i do not have an average bar bill at teh end of the week.I also do not go around deck carrying a drink with me. I wrap it in bubble wrap then in a towel and put it in my checked luggage. This cruise in OCtober we are actully drining from Delaware to Port Canaveral so i will be carrying our luggage to the ship. If they find it and want to keep it so be it.
Old May 21st, 2005, 08:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry, JustaPoorGradStudent - I was a bit too cranky when I wrote my post and I see that no, you are not an irresponsible yahoo.

Enjoy the cruise. Have a great honeymoon and great marriage.

(I still think people shouldn't bring their own on board, but no biggie).
Old May 21st, 2005, 08:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

try asking about 1yr. olds in a kiddie pool and see what happens!!!

Carnival Celebration
Holiday-2005
Old May 21st, 2005, 11:02 PM
Passenger

If you buy a bottle of rum on board, you will not get it until the last night of the cruise when it is delivered to your cabin.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 12:43 AM
borntocruise

Default Re: Re: Alcohol

JoyL, I am so glad to see you have a great sense of humor!!!!

These boards are so entertaining.

jp
Old July 1st, 2012, 06:10 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Taking Alcohol on board- Carnival

We have traveled many times with Carnival and they clearly state in their pre-boarding details, you can take 2 bottles of wine per adult and/or 12 pack of soda/water per person. No problem. Take it in your carry on to avoid any issues with breakage and take your own corkscrew with you. Save a few bucks I say! They make enough as it is!!!!! ENJOY!!!
Old July 1st, 2012, 06:15 PM
Familiar Face

They Cruise Lines want to sell their product. I have seen plenty of drunks who have happily purchased themselves into oblivion. The Cruise line could care less, as long as you run up your Sail and Sign Bill.

My Blog can be found at: http://capndinghy.multiply.com/
Old July 1st, 2012, 07:22 PM
Admiral

I just noticed that this thread is from 2005.

I was wondering why so many people were saying "just put it in your checked luggage".

Clearly that no longer works since (as I understand it) the security machine they run the luggage through now has a sensor that shows alcohol as a different color to flag it.

To those who are still interested in this thread....you can order a bottle of your favorite alcohol and have it waiting for you in your cabin through Bon Voyage.

You can not order it on line...you have to call them.

Carnival also does still allow one bottle of wine or champagne (750ml) per adult 21 or older . But you MUST carry the wine on...if you check it, it will be removed from your suitcase.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND