Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Passenger

Default Alcohol

Is there anyway of bringing Alcohol on ships any insight might help me out.Thanks Gregg
Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2005, 09:58 AM
rosetattoo

Default Re: Alcohol

People do bring alcohol on board....a lady I work with packs 6 bottles of wine in their luggage wrapped in bubble wrap and a big plastic bag....must take up a lot of room, I'd be petrified the bottles would break and ruin my clothes. She also brings vodka in her carry-on....people are very creative when it comes to sneaking booze on board.
Old April 11th, 2005, 10:02 AM
rosetattoo

p.s. My brother purchased a super large bottle of Scope mouthwash, threw out the mouthwash and filled the bottle with Rum....but he said his rum cokes tasted very heavily like Scope!!! Well, at least his breath smelled great.
Old April 11th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to JoannFla

So you cannot bring ANY alchohol on board at all? Wow I did not know that..I thought I would bring on a small bottle for when I am sitting out on the balcony...guess not huh
Old April 12th, 2005, 04:30 AM
First Mate

If you bring any alcohol on board, put it in your checked luggage. I take some on every cruise, never had a problem. Just buy your liquor in the plastic bottles then it won't break in your bag.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Old April 12th, 2005, 04:40 AM
Passenger

Hi there,

In Dec. we were on a cruise, and took a bottle of wine in our luggage. Wrap it in a towel and put it in a plastic bag, just in case and we had no problem. Don't forget a bottle opener for wine. The ones they sell in the gift shop, break off. We had to ask our room steward if he could help us out.
Old April 12th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Passenger

What about beer?
Old April 12th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Passenger

Thank you for the help with this. We are leaving Saturday on the Imagination.
Old April 12th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Alcohol

I have been thru alot of this forum and some people have filled a whole suit case of beer.It sounds like they just hold it til you get back or throw it away. Alcohol abuse it sounds like.Either way its worth tsaking the chance.
Old April 12th, 2005, 08:16 AM
sls

You can carry on a small quanity of wine with no problem at embarkation.

sls
Old April 12th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Captain

Carnival allows you to bring a bottle of wine, no hard liqour and a reasonable amount of water or soda. Cruising the best value, more bang for your buck vacations. On of the reasons the lines can do that is they make money from alchol sales. I appreciate the enjoyment I receive from them and would not want to begin my vacation by "getting away with breaking the rules".

ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old April 12th, 2005, 10:04 AM
jeri

Default Re: Re: Re: Alcohol

flskiguy37, let me know how it goes with the alcohol. We leave on the Sensation the 23rd.
Old April 12th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

I am always amazed by the lengths people will go to in order to save a few bucks. I watched a father hush his children when, getting back on board in St. Thomas, he walked past the desk where one is to "check" the liquor. His kids wanted the Dad to stop and he told them that it was OK to ignore the rules since no one spoke to him directly. Great message. If you have kids, forget the sneaking of stuff on board. If you don't have kids, well, its your life.
Old April 12th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

If the father would have kept his mouth shut while on land an not made a big deal of taking the bottle onboard, the kid wouln't have known a thing. Kids don't need to hear everything
Old April 12th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Admiral

The fact is that it is against the rules and they have the right to take it from you. That has become more a likelihood now with them checking all bags. I'm sorry but it just is not right nor is it worth it IMHO. Buy your drinks onboard, they are not that expensive and if you bar bill is that high, you are probably drinking more than is good for you.
Jim

Old April 12th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Passenger

Lighten up Rox ! Do you think Cruise lines make money on just Alcohol ?
Old April 12th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Passenger

Thanks Susan.You must be right they only make money on Alcohol Sales? Ha Ha. Love the Romans thing also Susan!!
Old April 12th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Passenger

Hey Jim, alot of people are saying it is okay to bring some wine on board, and now you are passing judgement on others about their drinking habits. "Saying if your Bar Bill is to high the amount their drinking cant be good for them". Well Jim you Probably wouldnt know about this but maybe some people drink more expensive Alcohol and just drink less of it. Jim as a Community Staff advisor (Moderator) you sure do try to push your morals on alot of people. I guess you like the control.Just like at home also hey Jim.
Old April 12th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Admiral

Huh? Really shouldn't answer personal attacks but maybe just this once. <G> You can bring on a few bottles of wine and I think that is great as the selection of wine is very much a concern for most wine drinkers. It is allowed just for that reason. They even look the other way on a 6 or 12pack of beer and even moreso if it is a brand they don't carry just as they do with soft drinks. Many people like Pepsi products and they don't sell them onboard so some folks bring some with them. If you bar bill is around a hundred dollars a day, I don't care how expensive the drinks are, you are probably consuming too much to be good for your body. Not morals, just a medical fact there buddy. I simpley do not try and spend my time telling or thinking of ways to sneak alcohol onboard a cruiseship. It just is not that important to me. As for me having good morals, why thank you, I do try because I know others do judge and I wish to set a good example for my friends, children and others. Sometimes I don't quite make it, but I try. <G>
Jim

Old April 12th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to JoannFla

OK can I ask this..can I order drinks through room service to be brought to my room? Cause then your right I will just not bring any on board and buy it on the ship! What the heck I am on a cruise..I need to live a little and not worry about saving 20 bucks. So can I order pina colodas to be brought to my room at night or if I have dinner on my balcony? Thanks~ Jo
Old April 12th, 2005, 05:32 PM
jcrandle

Jim, to clarify your post that "they have the right to take it from you." The cruise lines policy is that it will be returned to you at the end of the cruise (actually on the last day).

When my kids got into fights with each other I would always caution them that any eyes gouged out must be returned to the original owner at the end of the fight.
Old April 12th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Yes Joanne you can! You don't even have to give them and extra tip for room service because it is in the tab anyway. <VBG> Seriously, the bar staff will be happy to bring you a drink, anywhere, anytime.
jcrandle, I like that! <G> Yes they will return it to you upon the completetion of the cruise. We never take any with us but we do buy some on the islands when it is unusal stuff or only something you can get there etc and when we bring it back on the ship they sometimes take it, especially when it is in store boxes or bags, and sometimes they don't bother. Now I can imagine that if one comes back half ripped and having a grand old time they would probably be more than a little sure that he checked his liquor at the door. <G>
Jim

Old April 12th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Bill W

Just returned from a wonderful cruise.

Packed a suitcase with four 18-packs of beer, in cans, not a Carnival brand. A little heavy but a welcome site next to our cabin door upon boarding!

Boy were they good! We drank them all and shared some. Our bar bill was still $450.00 for mixed drinks. What a creat cruise!
Old April 12th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Admiral

Bill W. Did you go and meet any of your 'friends' at your meetings? <VBG>
Jim

Old April 13th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

I suggest filling an inflatable two person raft with draft beer, strapping a keg onto your wife's back, and packing bottle wrapped in diapers in the babies bag.
Old April 13th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Rie

Woo Hoo Bill W...............did you ever!
Old April 13th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Beginner

I HAVE HEARD IT IS CHEAPER TO BUY IT ON BOARD AND PAY THE 15 DOLLAR CORKAGE FEE DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE?
Old April 13th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Passenger

I just filled out my fun pass info. yesterday and upon searching the Carnival site I saw that the corkage fee is $10.00. The site stated that you may bring on wine initially but if you buy some at a port they will hold it until the end of the trip. Also, their site states that a small amount of soft drinks and bottled water is allowed. Why bother you ask? Well when you have a family of 6 (3 teenagers included) a stiff drink is often very welcome.!! Also, buying soda or nonalcoholic frou frou drinks all day for 7 days for 6 people can get expensive so smuggling a little for myself helps. Last cruise we bought 2 soda passes for th family. We just kept filling up the mug they gave us and alternated who got to use the soda pass. Is it so bad to just want to save a few bucks? At $6000 for the cruise and about another $600-800 for excursions not to mention the souvenirs everyone will want every little bit helps.
Old April 13th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Admiral

In some cases the waiters have been known to ignore the corkage fee but expect to pay it anyway. Not sure if they can or do still occasionally do this. I wouldn't think they would give you any problem over a bottle of wine even if you bought it in port. They understand that the selection is limited. Also they pretty much turn a blind eye to reasonable amounts of soda and even beer and as I said, more often if it is a brand that they know is not available onboard. As for sharing a soda card...well...if someone else gets an occasional and rare soda off it maybe but sharing it to me is like getting in to a concert or ballgame and then tossing the ticket over to your buddy outside to get in, it just isn't right but again, that's just my opinion.
Jim

Old May 21st, 2005, 09:00 AM
JustaPoorGradStudent

I sail on the Imagination on June 20, right after we spent a whole lot of money on our wedding and ceremony. So, for the critics, in some cases it's not that a person is cheap, but broke. We're paying for the liquer for a full bar at our reception. Since we'll have leftover liquer, it would be easy to just pack a bottle or 2 of rum.

I'm a new to cruising, so bare with me, Now I heard they are now checking your carry-on and checked baggage. How well are they checking? And what do they check?

Also, how much is a bottle of rum on board?

It's my honeymoon cruise, so the critics need not waste their breath. We're down to the last of our total wedding budget. Plus, I have never been a stickler for rules that are based more on another person's profit than my safety.