CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   soda cards(?) (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/203309-soda-cards.html)

d7mill April 12th, 2005 11:31 PM

soda cards(?)

I have been reading about purchasing a card for soft drinks. What is this for, and are there different price ranges. I haven't been on a cruise for about 7 yrs. and we had never had to purchase something for soft drinks.
Thanks for your time.

CherylR April 13th, 2005 12:01 AM

Re: soda cards(?)

We always purchase a "Fountain Fun" card on the ship at any of the bars on the first day. We usually bring a six pack of soda and some bottled water with us, but that soda is gone the first day. I believe the price is about $28.95 for a 7 day cruise, and I'm sure someone can post the correct price they are right now, but they are well worth it. You can use it to get one soda at a time at any of the bars, restaurants, or in the showlounge. If we drank about 6 sodas a day for about $2 a pop, we would be spending about $12-$15 a day just for sodas. They have plenty of free coffee,tea,orange juice,fruit punch,and iced tea on the Lido deck near the buffet, but soda and alcohol is always extra.

d7mill April 13th, 2005 12:31 AM

Re: Re: soda cards(?)

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I was suprised to read about these cards, we never did this before and we used to cruise regularly. I have also read about the tipping being added at the end of the cruise to your bill. Has this taken effect with all Ships. We will be sailing on the Glory, leaving May 7 2005.

CherylR April 13th, 2005 04:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: soda cards(?)

Yes, they automatically figure in the tips on your Sail & Sign card, and remember they add gratuity automatically when you order soft drinks or alcohol, so no extra tipping is needed. They will put envelopes in your room if you want to give gratuity to the Matre'D or anyone else who may have provided exceptional service on the last night of your cruise, and if you wish to pay them all with cash, you can have the gratuities taken off your bill or just adjusted at the pursers desk on the last night. :)

jvattes April 14th, 2005 06:54 AM

Is there a fee for bottled water (I'm assumng there is) and if so, do the soda cards cover fee for bottled water?

SUSAN CURTIS April 14th, 2005 08:30 AM

no

CA Cruiser April 14th, 2005 08:49 AM

Yes there is a fee for bottled water and no the soda card does NOT cover bottled water. They sell the large water bottles for about $3. We bring a 6 pack of water, 16 oz size, to use for shore excursions .

LisaK April 14th, 2005 09:15 AM

do the math and figure if the soda cards are worth it for you. On average a soda costs $2 each. Also soda cards do not cover "virgin" cocktails.

rosetattoo April 16th, 2005 06:11 PM

FYI....the Fountain Fun Cards are for fountain soda only....you cannot purchase canned soda with the card.

superkid April 16th, 2005 06:41 PM

The soda cards are $ 4.00 a day for people under 18.
and $ 5.50 a day for people over 18

d7mill April 25th, 2005 08:52 PM

Thank you everyone for your help. We leave in 12 days, can't wait

phoebe April 26th, 2005 05:48 AM

My daughter had Shirley Temples all day every day with the card.

wakedreams April 26th, 2005 05:59 AM

I also used the pop cards at dinner in the formal dining room. However I remember that my 2 cards were close to 75.00 1 adult and 1 child for 7 day cruise. We just don't drink that much pop in a week. Last time I carried on a 12pk of diet coke instead and still had some left over at the end of the week. That is what I am doing again next time. It was alot cheaper for me. If you drink more than 2 or 3 cokes a day....it would be worth getting the card and not having to lug your own on board.

Carnival allows a reasonable amount of pop to be carried on board. that is their rule.
Traveling alone I carried on a 12 pack of diet coke.

Denise G April 27th, 2005 05:58 PM

We sailed on the Triumph Jan/05. I bought a kids soda card for my daughter and was very disappointed with it. Every time she wanted a soda especially aroung the pool area she would have to go up to to Bar and stand there till someone would serve her. The bartender always seemed more interested in serving the older people who were ordering drinks then serving her. Her older sister or myself would have to go up to the Bar to get service and they never questioned why we had a child's soda card. I drink soda too but brought my own travel mug and drank alot of free lemonade all week and juices. You can always bring some cans of soda on board when you dock.
Have fun!!!