CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Anxiety attack (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/203391-anxiety-attack.html)

Starfire1975 April 15th, 2005 11:48 PM

Anxiety attack

Two weeks ago a friend and I booked our cruise through our work for they had an incredible deal for associates (walmart) we paid for the cruise and all but the airfare doesn't come with it. I am to get a hold of my agent on Monday to see if they could find a flight (she went on a cruise during this week). I am so worried about finding a flight and arrival times and departure. I am almost thinking of booking a flight to arrive the night before and staying at a very near hotel. This is first time cruise for both of us. Carnival Victory October 2nd to the 9th. Not much experience traveling due to last vacation to GA ended up my mother and I sharing a hospital room for the entire trip with several broken bones. (Guy ran red light). So any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lisa April 16th, 2005 12:12 AM

Re: Anxiety attack

Starfire - you can almost always find your own air cheaper than the cruise line can....and you can choose your specific flights.

I think it is a great idea to arrive the night before and stay at a hotel near the port - reduces the anxiety a great deal.

CherylR April 16th, 2005 04:13 AM

I agree with Lisa....book your own air...much cheaper. Try booking online w/ an airline or on Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, or Orbitz. And definitely fly in the day before..it saves so much hassle and stress and most hotels are a short distance from the pier and a cheap cab ride . One hotel recommended is the Hampton Inn. That way you can check in at the pier early, board around 12-12:30 and enjoy the whole day on the ship before it sets sail!!

nolou525 April 16th, 2005 04:51 AM

I would try to book your own flight. Jet Blue and Song usually have great rates. Flying in the night before is also a good idea, less stress.

Which Walmart do you work at? I also work for them in Massachusetts, store 2902, in the accounting office.

Darcy April 16th, 2005 05:40 AM

We book our own air and always fly in the day before. That way we're rested and are ready to start our vacation without any stress. We've had good luck booking hotels through both pricline and hotwire. I just booked Boston to Tampa for $69 each way on Jetblue and Delta Song.

maine matt April 16th, 2005 06:25 AM

Go the day before and look at airfare on your own, I just booked two round trip non stop flights from Portsmouth, NH to Orlando for 368 total. My travel agent last time didn't really get us the best rate but it was fair.

PHOTO April 16th, 2005 09:29 AM

OK. i know the feeling , if you can take a flight the day before, spend sfew bucks, rooms can be a great thig especially relaxing, and not have to worry that day.You can split a room and enjoy the sourrounding raea, get up fresh in the am, maybe sleep in and ENJOY the first of many cruises you may go on. This is what we usuall do
HAVE A GREAT CRUISE AND ENJOY BOB

rollerdonna April 16th, 2005 10:28 AM

Starfire, I recommend going a day early and relaxing in a hotel. As we fly out of cold Montreal to hot Florida, it gives us a day to "acclimatize" and relax from the stress of travel, especially when I suffer anxiety and travel-sickness.
Enjoy your pre-cruise stay, and stay away from guys at red lights!

donna

fas April 16th, 2005 06:56 PM

starfire,
what ever you do don't book on expedia.com or should I say fly us air. WE purchased out tickets in feb for cruise on destiny may 22, got email on monday, out flights were either cancelled or there was disconnect. ( one fly was cancelled and the other fly left before we arrived) Needless to say this was not how flights were booked. I have spent the last 3 days in panic trying to find flights. Expedia basicially said we have nothing to offer. Everytime you call you get a new person with a diffferent answer. I agree with flying in the night before, go with cheap tickets, orbitz or travelocity as I have used in past and had no trouble. Maybe this is an isolated incident but I did not want being the one with the experience.
Good luck! Have a great cruise

Kathy & Dave April 17th, 2005 08:22 AM

If you are near an airport that Southwest uses, I highly recommend them. I've never had a flight cancelled, only delayed twice ever, once for mechanical reasons, once weather related (New England). They are pretty good about sticking to their schedules. I've flown Delta and USAir several times and almost always my flights get changed. Another plus for Southwest is that if you do have to change planes, you most likely will be in the same terminal for each. Nothing worse than having to get from one terminal to another (thanks Delta) with a 40 minute layover! Jet Blue wasn't bad either, we had to fly out of Boston, rather than Providence to get it, but couldn't beat the price ($69 one way).

It's so much better to fly in the day before. At least that way, if you're delayed, you won't worry about missing the cruise.

Brutis April 17th, 2005 05:43 PM

I totally agree with some of the above advice. We just got back from our cruise and have seen what can happen. We decided to go the day before to relax some. One week before our cruise we got an email saying that our 2 hour stop over with Air Tran had been changed to a 4 hour stop over. After waiting in Atlanta for 4 hours we found out our flight had been delayed a further 1.5 hours! Thank goodness we left the day before otherwise we would have missed our ship.

Another thing, I agree with staying away from Expedia!

Have a blast!

CruisegirlKim April 18th, 2005 09:43 AM

I say Book your own and try to fly in the night before to be safe! =)