Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Baystate

Default NCL Dawn Hit by Rogue Wave

Apparently the Dawn was hit by a 90 foot rogue wave today. Sixty-two cabins were flooded and several people were hurt.
Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Don Smith

Default Re: NCL Dawn Hit by Rogue Wave

I cannot find this story on any of the news services available via internet. Please state your source. Why do you post this story on the Carnival board?
Old April 16th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Mattp

It was on our local news here in Illinois
Old April 16th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: NCL Dawn Hit by Rogue Wave

This is on the NCL web site under News : http://www.ncl.com/news/Update_041605.htm
Old April 17th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Baystate

I only posted it here because it was interesting. It's not as is if a rogue wave hits a ship every day. It's also on NCL's website.
Old April 17th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Captain

Send a message via MSN to hockeyluver

my husband read about it on the net last night. I have been looking to see what is happening now .

Next up Elation Aug 23 '10
then the Miracle again Feb 7,2011
Miracle '10
Holiday '09
Legend '09
Triumph '08
Valor '07
Triumph '06
Fascination '04
Legend '03
Old April 17th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Baystate

Sorry GeecheGirl. I hadn't noticed that you had posted the ncl website story.
Old April 17th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Admiral

The weather and seas were pretty bad with seas sometimes running at 70' so it isn't like is was just one wave out of the blue. Some passengers were injured and some cabins uninhabitable.
Jim

Old April 17th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Passenger

on the weather channel tonight also
Old April 17th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Passenger

You can read about rogue waves at www.Answers.com. Enter rogue wave and the info will come up.

Carnival Legend

Nieuw Amsterdam 12/92
Sensation 3/02
Inspiration 3/03
Soveiegn of the Seas 8/03
Inspiration 3/04
Miracle 3/05
Glory 3/06
Legend 3/07
Old April 18th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Iceman

Hello all you must remember we are in a world now of media that likes to make things worse than they are. I have been watching my local news here in NJ and you see the same 3 people interviewed one guy saying and I quote " they were playing the TITANIC song on the panio and we felt like we were on the Titanic". Get real here. Why do you not see any interviews with passangers that say NCL did a good job under the given problem. I would love for the media to take a survey of all the passangers coming off the ship and see home many would go on another cruise. I am sure it will be a high number. I can't wait to see the afternoon news I am sure there will be happy and sad people and lots of LAYERS lined up giving out cards.

Iceman NJ
Old April 18th, 2005, 09:56 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to TC(Top-Cat)

I read on that NCL gave passengers a 50% refund, plus 50% off another cruise. I thought that was pretty good.

On Glory - 05-06-06

Sensation,Jubilee ,Maj.of the Seas,Conquest, Victory.
Old April 18th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Oh no TC why did you bring that up? It was just getting quite about the CCL refund of the cruise to nowhere.

Carnival Valor Western Carribean 04/30/2006
Old April 18th, 2005, 02:12 PM
LisaV

There was an interview on Today show where one woman was talking about how crazy it was, that it wasn't her first cruise and they asked if she'd go on another, she said she's already booked. Need more people out there like that, those who understand that cruiselines can't control the weather and s**t happens sometimes.

Lisa
Old April 18th, 2005, 02:17 PM
First Mate

I'm sure it was frightening but it was nothing that the cruise line could have controled and it was a freak thing that happened. I would keep cruising too!

NCL Dream - '08
Carnival Miracle - '07
NCL Dawn - '06
NCL Spirit - '06
Carnival Legend - '05
NCL Dawn - '04
NCL Dawn - '03
NCL Sea - '02
Cunard QE2 - '98
Old April 18th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

"There was an interview on Today show where one woman was talking about how crazy it was, that it wasn't her first cruise and they asked if she'd go on another"

Who was the brilliant reporter who asked this question? Let me guess, it was Katie Couric, right? She probably also asked if the accident resulted in any pollution of the ocean. Did they also interview the people from Oceana, the anti-cruise industry lobbyists?

(Sorry, getting off my soapbox, now).

I agree, we need more people like this woman. But the media always wants to go for the sensationalist angle - not the accurate one. Its all about ratings.

Old April 18th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: NCL Dawn Hit by Rogue Wave

I can't wait to see the lawsuits --- people who claim they are so freightened now that they cannot eat, sleep or work.

You know they are on the way.
Old April 18th, 2005, 02:43 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: NCL Dawn Hit by Rogue Wave

I think any court would laugh at the lawsuits. Passengers are praising the crew for the way they handled everything - what more do people want?

NCL Dream - '08
Carnival Miracle - '07
NCL Dawn - '06
NCL Spirit - '06
Carnival Legend - '05
NCL Dawn - '04
NCL Dawn - '03
NCL Sea - '02
Cunard QE2 - '98
Old April 18th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: NCL Dawn Hit by Rogue Wave

I actually have to retract my previous statement about the Today show - they gave more than equal time to the woman who just laughed it off and said she was already booked on another cruise. You can see it at MSNBC.com.

The first guy said "first cruise, last cruise -- never again."

Then the woman said "the crew went out of there way, NCL was great" - she was very positive.

Old April 18th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Don Smith

The report I saw tended to indicate the ship went thru a tropical storm setting off the coast of North Carolina. There seems to be one large wave and many 20 to 30 foot waves pounding the ship for hours. The thing that is puzzling to me is that the tropical depression was known and being talked about my forecasters on the coast of NC and SC. I guess it turned out to be more of a storm than expected.
Old April 18th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Familiar Face

Here's the article from CNN.com:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/04/18....ap/index.html

Ted
Old April 18th, 2005, 07:44 PM
lscott

We should be feeling sorry for the people on that cruise. It wasnt just one wave that hit them. They were up all night with bad weather. Think of how we would feel , with being afraid and no sleep. I cant guess what happened, but dont ships usually try to avoid storms?
Old April 18th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Ships always avoid MAJOR storms, but this was just a bad storm, nothing like a hurricane. I have been in worse storms than this one. Norwegian Dawn has a real challenge making it up the East Coast every week in order to service the NY market with one-week cruises. It is a tough task to do even in ideal weather, everything has to go just right.

A lot of people said it couldn't be done, but NCL proved them wrong by going for over a year with hardly ever missing a deadline (they have a standing "on-time" guarantee for passengers that the ship will always arrive and depart NYC on time to make the full cruise). I believe only the first two or three cruises experienced delays.

The fact that NCL has the guts to make such a edgy decision makes them one of my favorite companies in the "cajones" department - but maybe not the best choice for a first-time cruiser.

NCL also went out on a limb by saying "We can staff a ship with a fully American crew, and offer 'free-style' cruising in Hawaii." And not everyone has been pleased, but those of us who respect individualism and "having the nerve" to take a chance enjoy watching NCL do what they do.

I loved the contrast between the two people interviewed on the NBC Today show (msnbc.com). One younger man said "first-cruise, last-cruise. Never again!" While the other (a middle-aged) lady when asked if she would ever cruise again said " Pshsh, it's already booked." :-)