Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 20th, 2005, 10:47 AM
firsttimecruiser

Default Anyone booked for Glory Oct.29th?

Hey everyone,
I am very excited because we have booked our FIRST cruise on the Glory for October 29th. 7 day eastern carribean trip. We are taking our two kids ages 12 and 10. Can anyone give me any suggestions, advice or anything for this trip? Kids camps? shore excursions? Halloween parties? anything? We have booked a balcony cabin and we are booked on deck 6, catagory 8a.
Feeling nervous and excited too. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2005, 01:37 PM
firsttimecruiser

Default Re: Anyone booked for Glory Oct.29th?

Oh I was so hoping someone would answer my post. Any thoughts on how many kids would be on board during the week of October 29th until November 5th 2005??
We love to hit the beaches.....which beaches do you recommend spending the day at while we are at Nassau, St. Maarten and St. THomas?
Thanks for any replies....
Old April 20th, 2005, 01:58 PM
booboo4031

I'm booked with a singles group on that cruise. Balcony cabin category 8a.

Old April 20th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Cat

We are also booked on that cruise, with our 15 year old daughter.
I too, would like to know if there is a Halloween party scheduled.

Thx Cat
Old April 20th, 2005, 04:28 PM
firsttimecruiser

Hi there,
I looked up this cruise and noticed that there is like 300 spots for singles to sign up for.....sounds fun. I was a bit worried that this would mean it was a real *spring break* kind of cruise......but with a ship that holds almost 3,000 passengers....that is a small percentage. Cat.....my son would probably be in love with your 15 year old daughter.....he is 12 going on 25. haha. Just kidding. Would love to hear from other couples or familes going on this cruise.
Old April 21st, 2005, 07:22 AM
Cat

Default Re: Re: Anyone booked for Glory Oct.29th?

Well, she is 15 going on about ...21!!!!!!
They will have a great time, this will be our second Carnival cruise, we did the Sensation in 1999.
You son will have a great time! As will you.

Cat
Old April 21st, 2005, 11:08 AM
firsttimecruiser

Hi Cat,
we have never cruised before.....so this will be great. I am a little nervous about the whole thing.....probably the unknown factor.....but, it will be so much too.
My daughter is going to be 10 by the time we go....so, she is very excited to go.
My husband and I are looking forward to some family time as well as some adult time too.
Have you ever been to these ports before? heard which places are best to spend the day at?
Thanks.
Paula
Old April 22nd, 2005, 07:31 AM
Cat

Hi Paula,

No, I haven't been to these ports before, we did the Western Carib. last time. We did swim with the stingrays in Grand Caymen, if there is a Stingray tour in one of our ports, make sure you do it. It is so much fun, I was afraid to get in the water, but it was the best time! I just kept my feet buried in the sand, as the only way to get stung is to step on them, so they weren't getting under my piggies!!!!! I'm really glad I didn't come home and say I didn't do it!!!!
One of our ports has a dolphin swim, I am thinking of doing that. I also want to do the sky ride in St. Thomas, but hubby is a little reluctent. Lots of research to do, goo thing theres plenty of time to do it.

Cat
Old April 22nd, 2005, 11:39 AM
firsttimecruiser

Hello Cat,
I am so excited about this cruise.....but it is 6 months away....aaaahhhh. I have to stop thinking about it and get on with day to day things. haha.
I have read some things that make me nervous.....the boat rocking and moving a lot worries me a bit.
I am looking at spending the day at Trunks Bay in St. Johns. It looks incredible. I also think we will head to the beach behind the Atlantis Resort.....looks great too. We are beach people.....so, I think we will try to just find the best one to hang out at for the day.
We live in Western Canada, and are surrounded by the Canadian Rockies.....so, while it is simply gorgeous......there is no beach anywhere close. It would be hours and hours to get to the nearest one. SOoooo, being on a tropical beach suits us just fine.
What about you? Also, are there formal nights on the cruise? what are you expected to wear??? that might be fun to dress up.....I am a real jeans and t-shits and flip flops kind of person......
Paula
Old April 22nd, 2005, 02:05 PM
Cat

Hi Paula,

I am fairly confident that there are 2 formal nights, and you will see just about every kind of dress, men usually a suit or some tuxes but definately a jacket and tie.

Women.... gowns, fancy dresses, long , short, pant suits. A little bit of everything! Myself, I wouldn't want to be bothered to pack a gown, but it nice to "dress up" a bit.

My 2 children were 13, and 9 when we went the last time, and one of their favorite things to do was soft serve ice cream 24 hours a day!!!!!

We are from Pittsburgh, and we are beach people also. But as I said with a 15(going on 21) year old daughter, we also want to shop!!!!!!

6 months will go fast!!!

Cat
Old April 22nd, 2005, 07:38 PM
firsttimecruiser

Hi again Cat,
I think I will bring one fancier gown.....something pretty.....but *cruise* tacky.....some people go overboard.....no pun intended.
Shopping would be fun too. What sort of shopping is there?

Yes, the 24 hour soft serve ice cream sounds great! For that reason, I am packing my gym clothes too.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 06:47 PM
Cat

hi Paula,

I too will be packing the gym clothes

I am looking for tanzanite!!!! On the ship the last time, a bought a beautiful heart shaped blue topaz, I had it set when I got home and about a month ago I lost the stone. So if I find another I will be happy. But I am looking for gold and gemstones, and this time around, I will be bringing home some RUM!!!! It is soooo much cheaper in the islands!

Take care
Cat
Old April 25th, 2005, 12:06 PM
firsttimecruiser

Hello Cat,
Oh I love blue topaz stones....especially when they are very faceted. I like the oval shapes.....and big. How much are those types of stones going for????
Run sounds great too. Oh, I am really looking forward to it. DO you know what the weather will be like that time of year while at sea???? Hope it is HOT.
Paula
Old April 25th, 2005, 04:06 PM
smckee

I just got back from our first cruise on the Glory on Saturday - Eastern Carribbean! Your kids will have a great time on the cruise. 2 words - Camp Carnival! It's broken down by age groups and they have activitles ALL THE TIME! The pools are great and they'll LOVE the water slide! We did the high speed power boat tour to Blackbeard's Cay in Nassau however it wasn't very pretty there. I think the beaches at Atlantis will be a better bet. We also went to Trunk Bay in St John - beautiful! A must in St Maartin is the Golden Eagle Catamaran! Great ride and snorkling at a nice bay - that was the best excursion! The ship will push Diamonds International for diamonds and tanzanite (Tanzenite International) Good place to shop (I did!). As far as the formal nights - we weren't into doing it so we opted to go to the buffets those nights but 90% of the poeple did it and they were in very fancy dresses and men were in tuxes for the most part. I think it was a little more dressed down on the second formal night. Our asst. waiter in the dining room said that many people don't dress that formally although I didn't personally see that! It was a fantastic time and you can't do anything but have a good time! There's so much to do! Oh, and we were in a balcony cabin on the Upper deck (6th floor). Balconies are the best! Order room service and have your morning coffee out there!
Old April 25th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Cat

Glad you had a great cruise, would like to know more about going over to St. John, did you spend any time in St Thomas?
Where was tanzanite international located?

Paula,
I don't remember exactly what I paid on the ship for my gems, but I do remember thinking they were a good deal, my friend got 2 amethyst and had them set in earrings.
I'm not sure about the weather while we are there, but there is a place to check it, maybe someone else will read this thread and pass along the info.

Cat
Old April 26th, 2005, 08:49 AM
smckee

Default Re: Re: Re: Anyone booked for Glory Oct.29th?

There are a few different excursions to St John. We took a boat over then got in open "trucks with benches and canopy" for a ride and got a little tour of the area as we went to Trunk Bay. Our tour stopped along the way for picture taken of a couple of areas. We then opted to stay at Trunk Bay to swim and others went on for a longer tour on the cab. Snorkeling equip is available there however we chose not to do it that day as someone who had been snorkeling told us you really couldn't see anything because the waves were churning up the sand. We opted to play in the waves - my son loved that! We talked to people later in the week who were from Princess and they were told a St John scuba excursion they were to go on there the same day was cancelled because of the same reasons. But St John is absolutely beautiful! We went shopping at the mall you can walk to in St Thomas later. You can find Diamonds Int and Tanz. Int there. There will be a "shopping" meeting on the cruise the day before St Thomas to fill you in on where everything is. You may want to attend as you get maps of both areas.
Old April 27th, 2005, 12:13 PM
firsttimecruiser

Hello again,
thanks for all the info. on the cruise. I am looking so forward to it. Glad you had so much fun on your cruise smckee......yes, we will definitely order room service and enjoy the time on the balcony. Kids are very excited too.
We are going to spend a few days at Disney before we board the ship.....my husband will be attending a conference at the Disney Institute.....so, the kids and I will hop on the monorail and play at Magic Kingdom. It will be great.
I am going to shop for a nice fancy gown for one of the formal nights....and something less dressy, but still nice, for the other one. I guess you gotta dress up at least once and get a nice picture for a memory......how often can you really do that? on land?
Shopping sounds great......but, I think I will be at the beaches......need to soak it up.